Writing, Art, Or Coding...What Do You Find the Hardest?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

Re: Writing, Art, Or Coding...What Do You Find the Hardest?

#61 Post by Fungii »

Anything that isn't art, basically.
Well, except coding, that's not neccesarily a hard process as it is HUUUUUUGE. Not to belittle actual coders, obviously. I admire anyone who can dedicate themselves to some of the technically impressive Ren'Py projects out there.

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#62 Post by sapiboonggames »

Coding is the hardest for me (because I'm dumb) then the next is the writing (more like, the editing phase, that takes forever ;() and then I guess art :D
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#63 Post by Arowana »

My preference among writing, art, and coding tends to fluctuate depending on my mood. I'm not as conscientious about coding as the other two, though - as long as something works, I'm happy with it. Even if the actual code is very ugly and convoluted, at least no one will see it, right? In general, I do feel like I have to concentrate the most for writing. Like I can't have much background noise while writing, but if I'm drawing or coding, I often turn on movies at the same time. Maybe it has something to do with which parts of the brain process auditory vs. visual things.

The one thing I could never do is music. I have no ear for it whatsoever, so I usually just trawl the web for free music or ask my more musically-inclined friend about it.
I rather surprised no one lists up something marketing related. maybe I just read English mistakingly ._.
I know many talented people who gave up their game just because they don't know how to deal with customers (or users if it's a free game).
Heh, I agree with this as well! I know that being able to promote yourself and make connections is really important for everything, but I feel really awkward if I try to do it. I'm quite shy in public, though, so maybe it's just me haha.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

H.S.

#64 Post by H.S. »

I can't draw, I'm writer and coder, and writing is more hard to me, because requires inspiration.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#65 Post by netravelr »

Well, It may come as a shock, but I am definitely not an artist. I am quite the coder though, if I care to toot my own horn. In terms of writing, I CAN do it, but I prefer having people better than me do stuff. Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#66 Post by Deji »

Writing ;_;
I can draw and I can do some programming, but I struggle with writing so very much ;v;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

DeeKay
Veteran

#67 Post by DeeKay »

Hmm... probably drawing art since I don't have much experience in it and it's a hobby. If only I had more time to spare on that regularly...
On the other hand, I frequently have random skits popping in my head ! ^^'

Writing isn't much of an issue as I like it and story elements come to mind easily most of the time.
Coding is part of my daily work so I guess that would be fine too if I ever experiment with Ren'Py someday :)
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

#68 Post by FlawedFlare »

I find having patience difficult. Whether it be drawing, writing, or coding. (Music isn't in my alley, I have ZERO experience with it.) Sure, you can have a passion to draw and write, but sometimes it just gets tiring. I'm not so used to long-term projects, so I guess that contributes to it.
When I do work all day, it often strains my back, so I usually just do writing and coding till I feel like drawing again.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#69 Post by dramspringfeald »

*not reading 68 posts

I find keeping awake and focused to be the hardest of any part of the process.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#70 Post by Daistarir »

Coding is pain !!! I am a the main artist and main writer of my team so other two pretty easy . Sometime I post my Story online so I got some fan reading my story . And , about the art , can't say anything , I always need my friend to color it for me because I am to lazy to study and busy ,too.
Anyway , music is pain, too.

izukwon
Regular
Projects: Saundersi: Level 7

#71 Post by izukwon »

for me the hardest thing is too keep myself for being too hard on myself :')
I am very hard to please, so, anything be it art, writing, coding or music, all are hard. No easy thing for me :')

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#72 Post by Sharm »

Writing. Before I started VN's I thought it would be the code because I just am not a programmer (unlike the rest of my family) or art because I'm so slow at it, certainly not writing because I'm so much better at pure dialogue! It turns out that the basics of Ren'py are really easy to code for, the nearly instant gratification of seeing my art in game is very motivating and the branching paths is actually paralyzing because instead of coming up with lots of ideas and cutting down to the best one I've realized that I can do all of them.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#73 Post by KittyKatStar »

I actually find writing the easiest... Been writing a lot growing up, always loved it, and always had fun with it. ^^;

Now whether my writing is GOOD uh.... >_<;

I never seem to have trouble getting inspirations or ideas though. I'm usually that one annoying person that goes

HEY I'VE GOT AN IDEA!

HEY I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA!

I'm basically Lampy from The Brave Little Toaster

Now are my ideas good? Uuuuh OTL (See Lampy.)

Coding I'm staaarting to grasp the basics. I can mostly code anything to do with menus/branches/dialogue/flags. Anything beyond that my brain breaks. =,)

Art? I can't draw to save my life, let alone making consistent sprites. Seriously, I tip my hat to anyone that can draw the same character over and over, with different poses, expressions, angles etc. Amazing work.

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#74 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Everything is difficult for me, seeing as I am a jack of all talents. ; - ; </3

I kind of have to be, seeing as I'm planning on making a career of game design, but dear lord, it is so difficult not to compare myself to others. Especially the experts. I keep on telling myself that as long as I'm not as good as them in everything, my skills are worthless. x_x;; I will hopefully abandon this mindset at some point in the near future...

On the upside, at least I like to do everything? When I'm not freaking out about how lame I am lsdkjfklds

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#75 Post by MarineScripter »

I'm currently writing for a WIP game and am receiving no end of headache. Planning out different routes for each choices, planning out the routes in general...It's hard, but I wouldn't do anything else since I love writing. Even if your game has a great art and music, if your story is terrible, the quality rating will sink no matter what. Pressure...and I know someone who codes. She described it as the most tedious work she's done....