Do you make GxB, BxG, BxB, or GxG? Why?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
RVB
Regular
Organization: Brat Prince Productions
Deviantart: aambrosio

#46 Post by RVB »

I haven't made my own game, but I enjoy writing BxB. GxG would be interesting to do, but I would have to think of a super awesome plot for it, and honestly, ones for BxB are you easier for me to spin.

If I was going to do a opposite sex genre one, I'd go foooorrr BxG, because I could draw all types of sexy, beautiful women (or cute ones, or quirky ones, etc). I draw enough boys to take a step away and drew some lovely chicks!

Of course, I'd be more interested in making a game in which you could romance either sex. Makes it a lot more fun that way! ♥

ZombieeDoll

Re: Do you make GxB, BxG, BxB, or GxG? Why?

#47 Post by ZombieeDoll »

Though I haven't technically made my own game YET (it's still a WIP), I usually do GxB type stories because I hate the fact that I cannot find enough of that genre to cater to my own needs. I don't want anyone else to feel the way I do, so I'll start creating these games for free or a small price (depending on if I commission music, art, etc) for everyone to enjoy. Since I am bisexual, I also would like to start including a female love choice or two so that girls of that orientation will have a variety to choose from. :3

I don't think I would really know how to write a BxG or a BxB type of story.

I may even toss romance out the window and create horror genre--OR mix in romance and make is a psychological horror romance that contain sudden gruesome death, cute psychotic killer characters (I have a real fondness for that type), ghosts, monsters that look like cute girls to you but are monsters to everyone else, haunted houses, serial killers, demonic possession, etc. I have a real taste for stuff like this. XD I'm a morbid person and I enjoy horror based games.

Aedin
Regular

#48 Post by Aedin »

I like to have a mix of the four. I've actually got one of each in mind/stashed away somewhere on my laptop. As a panromantic, I'm open to people, not gender, so the pairings don't really matter to me.

Because of my gender, it is somewhat easier for me to write from a female perspective. I guess I'm weird, though, because a lot of people say my male characters are just as, if not more, realistic than the female. That may stem from the fact that my thoughts are somewhere in between a male's and female's. I know, I'm weird.

What makes me decide what the pairing will be, though, is the type of story I want to tell. What's going to happen? How would a male PC react versus a female? What is sexuality like in that world? What kind of reaction would a same-sex relationship warrant? Or a heterosexual one, for that matter? One thing I think some authors and game creators try to do is cater to everyone's needs. Instead of keeping to the story, they try to please everyone. I'm sorry, Bioware, but not everyone is bisexual.
"There’s no shame in pleasure, Mr. Gray. You see, man just wants to be happy, but society wants him to be good. And when he’s good, man is rarely happy, and when he’s happy he is always good."

Minnfae
Regular
Projects: Undecided

#49 Post by Minnfae »

I don't really like involving my protagonists in romantic stories (and when it happens, it tends to be something very small). Instead, I prefer developing the interactions between the secondary characters, so all BxG, GxG, GxB and BxB fit there.
My avatar art is a freebie by SilverHyena. Thanks a lot!

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Apparently, I am one of the few people who liked that BioWare made everyone romance-able regardless of gender (which does not automatically translate to them being bisexual, btw).

I enjoy romance of all flavors (lgbtq stuff moreso, since the media is generally dominated by straight, cis content), and most of my stories reflect that (there will always be at least two lgbtq characters in any given game of mine, even though it might not be obvious who they are).

Usually, though, I'm not really into just plain ol' romance-focused stuff, 'cuz it tends to bore me. Romance on the side, however, can really improve the experience for me. C:

Aedin
Regular

#51 Post by Aedin »

True, that doesn't make them all bisexual. We can't really know what they are or how they feel for sure. I have nothing against relationships like that because of my own sexuality. Still I find it a bit more realistic and believable if the characters have different sexualities.
Take Dragon Age Origins: bi/pan/poly/sexual Zevran, straight Morrigan, straight Alistair, bi/pan/poly/sexual Lelianna who favoured women.
Dragon Age 2, on the other hand: bi/pan/poly/sexual Merrill, Fenris, Isabella, and Anders, though he seemed to prefer men. And then, clueless, friend zone you Aveline.
Don't get me wrong, I love both games equally. It's just my personal preference that things make sense logically.
"There’s no shame in pleasure, Mr. Gray. You see, man just wants to be happy, but society wants him to be good. And when he’s good, man is rarely happy, and when he’s happy he is always good."

AlgaeDrone
Regular
Projects: When You Hear The Bell Ring

#52 Post by AlgaeDrone »

I don't know if that kind of thing would interest me. Unless there was something really unusual to it, or the romance was a really tiny part of the overall plot.

Aedin
Regular

#53 Post by Aedin »

The romance doesn't play a huge part. There is a greater overarching plot that can be beaten without romancing anyone if you wish in both games. Romance is just a little extra on the side.
Plus, the party banter is hilarious.

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#54 Post by MiSi »

I prefer BxB over everything else. I guess, because I simply find men that attractive :D And although I'm a girl, I have no problem writing from a guy's point of view, since I'm acting very tomboyish myself from time to time.
I have no problems writing GxB or BxG either, but especially BxG gets boring after a while. For me there's not much sense in describing the beauty of women. I just can't help it. Soo... no need to say GxG would be even more boring for me to write. But since my MCs are rarely female, I'll probably never get into any situation, where I would have to test my skills on this :D

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#55 Post by Destiny »

My actual game is BxB, my next game will be GxB (and maybe BxB).

The reason is quite simple:
I'm better at drawing boys xD

Even though I'm a woman, I have a very corrupted view on womans and I'm simply not able to draw them properly.
I also dislike drawing woman in general (you could say, I have a phobia of visualising woman).
So I find it easiest to simply draw as less girls as possible, resulting in me mainly working on BxB stuff with only one or two girls as side characters.

But I also took a liking to BL, so it's not that much against my wishes to do lots of BxB xD

Still, next game will be GxB, but with the help of others that are helping me out with the woman :'D

For playing, I'm totaly fine with all of them.
BxB, BxG, GxB, GxG, doesn't matter to me.
But I would never create a GxG, thats absolutly out of question xDDD
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#56 Post by Funnyguts »

So far, with every romantic story I've come up with, the PC's gender is never stated. So I always write YouxWhatever. (Although lately there tends to be only one character you can romance, and it's always female so that's not very good? I have an idea for a larger story where you can choose between men or women and possibly one transperson, but that won't be worked on anytime soon.)

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#57 Post by tigerkidde »

In terms of planning, GxB and BxG surface more than GxG or BxB, at least as far as protagonists are concerned.

The most I've written, not necessarily for a visual novel, has BxB themes for a protagonist and on another, GxG themes. But overall, the romantic themes are less of a driving force behind the events and more of side-events happening.

Cabriolean
Regular

#58 Post by Cabriolean »

This is my first VN, but I'm working on GxB mainly, there is a potential female romantic interest, but only one because most people are straight and I don't want to be too out of proportion to the real World, I also don't want to have to come up with a million more sprites. The main character is female because I know more about girls, from attending an all-girls school etc. I find women easier to write generally.

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#59 Post by Boniae »

Well, I'm only making one game so far and it's BxB. If I make any other games they'd probably be BxB again, but I wouldn't mind making BxG, GxB, or GxG. I feel comfortable writing in both perspectives even though I'm female, but somehow I lean more towards writing male perspectives in my writing. I think it's because I've always kinda wanted to be a boy?? Hhaha.

The reason though why I'm writing a BxB game is because there aren't very many out there. Not only that, I found it hard to come across a game without all those unoriginal yaoi archetypes that keep being abused over and over again. (Effeminate uke, Rapist seme, ugh?? can we not..) To top it all off it's difficult to find BL games translated in English, I mean unless you have to use a translator for the Japanese text. I just kind of wanted to make a BL game that seemed "realistic" in terms of the relationship, I suppose. I'm not sure if people will think that, but we'll have to see!

When I do finish this game I'm hoping to do GxG because GL is pretty darn awesome ^///^

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#60 Post by Blane Doyle »

Most of the games I have planned out or written (most scrapped) have been GxB. I do have one that is GxG and one that is GxG and GxB, and one that is BxG that have survived. (I had one BxB but I scrapped it too).

Most of this is because, while I know I can write male main characters, I just feel more comfortable writing female main characters most of the time. A part of it is also because I have played and read so many games with a male main character that I suppose I jumped on the "fill the otome niche" bandwagon in the beginning of my exposure to the OELVN scene and just stuck with it until now.

I'll work with all of them, basically, but I am most comfortable with GxB because I am more experienced with it and feel that is what I write best.