Do you make GxB, BxG, BxB, or GxG? Why?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

Do you make GxB, BxG, BxB, or GxG? Why?

#1 Post by tuna_sushi »

Sorry if this kind of thread has been made... :oops:
So, just like what the title says:
Do you make GxB, BxG, BxB, or GxG? And why?
I'm just interested in hearing your opinions. :)

I usually make BxG because it's easier to draw girls. It's my favourite kind of genre to play. (Simple boring reason OTL) :|

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: Do you make GxB, BxG, BxB, or GxG? Why?

#2 Post by teacup »

I make GxB games, for two main reasons:
1. I can't draw girls at all. I'm much better at drawing males, so of course, it's easier for me to make a GxB game. :>
2. I started making a game back when there were like... no otome games at all. [I think it was in 2009?]. I was actually being unique back then by making an otome game, but then, somewhere between then and now otome games exploded into popularity. Now I'm seen as just another otome game maker, even though I got started a while back, haha xD;;
I'd love to make a BxG someday - actually I'm working with my brother on one right now. But I really need to improve my drawing of females first... and maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the BxG audience is way harsher than the GxB one, so I'm a bit scared;;

Gambit74
Regular

#3 Post by Gambit74 »

Are you talking about straight up dating sims, or games with multiple romantic interests as an added element to the story? If it's the latter, I go with BxG. Main reason being because as a guy, it's a whole lot easier for me to write since I know what kind of girls that guys would like, but not what kind of guys that girls would like. It's also because it's my preferred style as well, especially since there seems to be a lot of otome games lately from what I'm seeing (Not that it's a bad thing, but I want to see more variety).
Nothing to see here, folks. For now, anyway...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

I generally write Gx (B/G) because that's who I _am_ - I'm female and interested in both male and female options.

I'm not against writing BxG but I need a reason to bother. I'm hesitant about BxB because I'm not sure I can do it well. If we ever get the next Magical Diary game going, though, I'll have to do both.

I'm probably going to write a pure yuri game at some point simply because they're not that common.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#5 Post by Omnificent »

I think a similar thread to this has been made before. Nevertheless...

While the game I'm writing at the moment is a brotome, I am open to writing both any of these and none of these. Most of what I've written in the past hasn't been romantic at all, or modern slice-of-life for that matter, so it's a new and exciting area for me all around.

Folks have called my art style "unique", which in some sense means I draw neither bishonen enough men or moe enough women for the Lemmasoft audience palette. :P But I belligerently stick to my guns on it anyways! I draw characters in the way I find appealing, which may or may not be the way others would find conventionally attractive. To me, the most important concern when drawing is that the characters are distinguishable from each other and that their appearances/expressions reflect their personalities, regardless of sex or age.

I think that GxG games are actually the most underrepresented at the moment, at least in terms of WiPs/complete games I've seen. That's kind of a shame, so maybe I'll tackle one of those at some point once I've gotten the millions of other game ideas out of my head. Also, regardless of the sexual orientation of a game, it's nice to see more of them that aren't set in Japan. Even just seeing more of them set in, say, Thailand or Korea or wherever the creator is actually from is refreshing. :cry:
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

J. Datie
Veteran

#6 Post by J. Datie »

I make GxG, because I've never encountered a reason to do otherwise.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

All of the above because I have no problem drawing any of it. I find both males and females attractive in different ways and so I enjoy drawing both sexes (and everything inbetween). I also like romance of any kind.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#8 Post by KomiTsuku »

Easy question! I do all of them! It really just depends on what story I'm writing at the time. I bounce around the genres so much that I can't say I'm particular to any specific one... except for BxB. I don't write that one very much.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#9 Post by Hijiri »

While I have never done a "pure" renai game/story, I myself are comfortable in doing BxG and BxB mainly because O know what both an average straight guy and gay guy would like (Perhaps one of the 'perks' of being bi,lol) and if Im sure Im capable of pulling it off right, I can do GxB as well. Granted, with my own twist to it.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#10 Post by clua »

Yeah, I might do any of them, if my story needs it.

I usually tend to make all my protags male, I think its because I like to imagine how a man would think(I don't know how weird this sounds) and would feel.
But It depends really, I like to vary my protags.
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Ketsu

#11 Post by Ketsu »

I like GxB or GxG because it's easier to write for a girl character, since I'm a girl and I know exactly what that target audience wants~.

I don't really find much interest in making a BxG sim, but I might at some point o//u//o Once I get the hang of all this writing and programming!

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#12 Post by Razz »

GxG Since:
1. I like it.
2. I'd like there to be more games with it included.
Ketsu wrote:I like GxB or GxG because it's easier to write for a girl character, since I'm a girl and I know exactly what that target audience wants~.
Oh and this too!^

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#13 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

All of the above. I tend to write from female perspectives when I can.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Argeus_the_Paladin
Veteran
Projects: Rzeczpospolita Polska 1647

#14 Post by Argeus_the_Paladin »

None. I write things that are entirely detached from romance.
One Province Minor - 120 class variables and still counting!

Because there is no such thing as too many variables.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#15 Post by nyaatrap »

None of them, or GxG. Anyway love romance is little element. Because I have played millions of same games and got bored them, then it drives me to make my own game.
Last edited by nyaatrap on Sat May 19, 2012 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.