Titles for Fantasy Games

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Titles for Fantasy Games

#1 Post by CheeryMoya »

When you decide on a title for your game, or anything really, you want it to describe what your thing's about. There's also the factor of wanting people to take interest in your game, and the title alone can reel people in.

However, what factors in a title markets itself more than others? More specifically, for a fantasy genre game? I often find myself interested in titles that have uncommon words such as "grimoire," "mesonoxian," or "lamprophony." Heck, these words are so uncommon that even my spellcheck says they're spelled wrong >_>

Weakjounin
Veteran

Re: Titles for Fantasy Games

#2 Post by Weakjounin »

I pick a word that starts with D.
It's destiny, I tell you.

Zylinder
Veteran

#3 Post by Zylinder »

Grimoire brings to mind Grim Grimoire, which was a catchy name, and fun game). The other two sounds like tongue twisters though, and are definitely rarer than grimoire. Perhaps... Something easier to understand? After all, what's a title if it just twists your tongue and offers no insight to your game without consulting a dictionary? I usually see fantasy books coming up with words like Moon, Sky, Wind, Dark and then they combine it with any sort of relevant noun. Which isn't terribly creative, but it seems to get the job done...

Raindrops
Regular
Projects: My Secret Spring (Co-writer & Proofreader), [Secret]

#4 Post by Raindrops »

I guess uncommon words are interesting and catchy. For example, with your Grimoire example, Final Fantasy A2 Tactics Grimoire Of The Rift is one heck of a long name but it caught my eye and it turned out to be great fun. Sure it's a Fantasy, strategy turn-based RPG game but you get my drift right?
Worse case scenario you could always throw in your MC's name in there or someone of importance's name. Js.
TOPofBB
All my life, my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name.
- Andre Breton

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Your title might change depending on what sort of fantasy it is. After all, there's a lot of styles and categories of fantasy fiction...

Flying Cat

#6 Post by Flying Cat »

I do agree that fantasy games in particular with more "convoluted" names tend to get my attention while browsing through titles. Granted, more convoluted games, in my experience, also tend to be used on games that rely on more cliches than others, mainly because those convoluted names tend to be some important item that the protagonist must acquire.