The worst VN/KN ever created [Phase 2]

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: The worst VN/KN ever created

#166 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Sapphi wrote:...I have to confess my dream is to see a reaction video to League of Extraordinary Dentists, because I pretty much came up with the story as I wrote it and came up with the characters as I drew them. It's kind of a look inside my brain and I want to know what people think about my brain. LOL!
Omg... That's exactly how Visitor is being written. I started with a pile of black and white stills and a vague idea. I just pieced a story together and snarked my way through it. Unfortunately, I was forced to download the 1931 Dracula movie and make (blurry) screen captures to fill out certain scenes.

The weird thing is, that it's turning into an actual horror VN -- entirely from the monster's point of view! Of course, the characters that are dying richly deserve death. :)
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#167 Post by Sapphi »

Señor Volky McLupinstein and the League of Extraordinary Dentists
screenshot0001.png
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0003.png
I present to you the absolute worst kinetic novel you will ever play in your life.
Mediafire Win/Linux/Mac Download (56 MB)

And now, some disclaimers:
The OP "video" will probably be horribly mistimed because of my computer's lack of graphical capabilities and general slowness. I had my brother test-drive the downloadable version and it cut off before the song was done. I am frustrated about this but it will totally add lots of Bad Points so it's not a complete loss :twisted:

This is fully voiced... and contains themes such as parents asploding, drug references, and possible nightmare fuel so don't play this around your adorable, young, and impressionable kids :mrgreen:

The code is open so feel free to peek around and steal any tricks you like although the functions are mostly depreciated.

I NOW RELEASE THIS MONSTROSITY INTO THE WORLD AND TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE RESULT! GYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH*Kazowie'd*
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Morgan_R
Regular

#168 Post by Morgan_R »

http://www.mediafire.com/?db7wyy7ibbvodo5

The less said, the better, really.

*downloads Señor Volky McLupinstein and the League of Extraordinary Dentists* :D

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#169 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Sapphi wrote:Señor Volky McLupinstein and the League of Extraordinary Dentists
Must Play NAOW!
-- That was awesome! Seriously, my mouth hung open the entire time with awe. The opening animation was do die for! Literally. I almost died from laughing -- when I wasn't rubbing my eyes from all the neon colors.

Those were some seriously hideous character sprites -- except for Volky, of course. I really, really appreciated the way the lines pixilated on the close ups.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Morgan_R wrote:The less said, the better, really.
I am firmly of the opinion that Bad Game is an excellent example of it's title because it's Cleverly bad. It actually does exactly as it intends. You have two ending -- both Bad, but what makes it clever is that it forces the player into a loop where they keep playing Even when they Know they will Lose! In other words, it's Psychologically bad too!

Congrats Morgan_R!
-- You've successfully created a Midnight Staircase -- an endless loop.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Ionait
Regular
Organization: Chu! Bam! Pow!

#170 Post by Ionait »

I wanted to do the full worst game gauntlet last night but ended up falling asleep. But now I'm glad I did! I have two more games to add to the gauntlet! Bwahaha! Can't wait to play them. I'm going to try to make a video of it with my reactions and for the video I'll be playing all of them (except mine, because that would be weird.)

EDIT TO ADD HORRIBLENESS!:

I just played/recorded 45 minutes of these games, from the first listing to the ninth one, and... It turns out my capture software sucks and ruined all of the video. It would show the opening screens when I first started the game, but then would stick to one frame and never show the rest of the game I went through. It looked like I was just sitting on the main menu screens. :( AAggrraah!

So... I have no idea why that happened. But I probably won't be attempting it again because that's 45 mins I will not get back. However, I will play the rest of the games, just won't record them. :(

I have been using trial versions of software, this one being NCH Debut for my screen capture. Anyone know a Renpy game friendly capture program? I probably should have chosen one for video games. Ugh. I am looking to purchase capture software though.

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#171 Post by Cidz »

i use camtasia studio myself and that seems to work pretty well. i havent used it to record renpy, but i have used it to record myself playing other VNs and such. i havent really had many problems myself with it.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#172 Post by SusanTheCat »

I'm using BB FlashBack Express Recorder because it lets be record both the game audio and me talking.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#173 Post by Sapphi »

OokamiKasumi wrote: Must Play NAOW!
-- That was awesome! Seriously, my mouth hung open the entire time with awe. The opening animation was do die for! Literally. I almost died from laughing -- when I wasn't rubbing my eyes from all the neon colors.

Those were some seriously hideous character sprites -- except for Volky, of course. I really, really appreciated the way the lines pixilated on the close ups.
Bwahaha! Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twisted:
I'm pretty proud of the hideous sprites myself.

As to the video capture question, I wish I had an answer... but I don't. I think I tried to use a capture software once and my computer crashed. XD
— William Faulkner

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#174 Post by CheeryMoya »

Ah geez, I haven't touched mine in days but I suddenly know what I'm going to do. I'll play all these soon ;-;

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#175 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Almost finished with The Visitor!
-- It's turned out to be the largest and longest game I've ever made. Faery Tale used to be my largest at 13,000 words, but Visitor is at 17,987. I still have one more chapter to go, so it's very possible it will clear 20k!

[edit] Correction -- I just passed 20k.
-- Writing final closing scene...

It was suppose to be short and silly. Where did I go wrong!
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#176 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Just a small reminder for those people who are working on or thinking about making a game, there is about a week left. Even if you have no ideas, no skills and very little time, you should still have a go. You will be surprised what you learn doing something like this.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Glasskitten
Regular
Completed: I confess to nothing! \(>o<)/

#177 Post by Glasskitten »

Daaaaang, finally a contest at my real-life skill level and I can't shut off my inner prima donna enough to go along with the objectives! OTL
Grand list of things not officially canceled:
Salt -- the heartwarming story of brain-eating space worms
Tangent -- an epic poem and/or novel about a borderline-autistic Martian imp and her relationship with God
Kittens of the Darned -- a grimdark soap opera about sexy catgirls (Indefinitely postponed until I learn to draw and color realistically)
The Other Mary -- the most perfect fic about the most perfect Mary Sue EVER
Rockheart -- a short story about a monster who kills everyone
Corrupted -- a completely different short story about a monster who kills everyone (late Worst Visual Novel Ever)
Checkpoint 36a -- the transcription of a short multi-ending dream about time travel and undead schoolgirls
In Which the Princess is Kidnapped -- an entry in the "ordinary girl ends up in an alien universe and tries to save it" genre
Pictogram Scramble: Magical Friendship Bunny Ivy -- a Flash game about a magical girl making friends (Indefinitely postponed until I learn how friendship works)

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#178 Post by Sapphi »

Glasskitten wrote:Daaaaang, finally a contest at my real-life skill level and I can't shut off my inner prima donna enough to go along with the objectives! OTL
Just do it. It feels great and nobody will judge you. :mrgreen:
(I really think we should rename this thread "Therapy Exercises for Chronic Perfectionists", lol!)
— William Faulkner

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#179 Post by SusanTheCat »

Hmmmmm... maybe I should just leave my unwritten scenes as part of it. Lots of "TODO Write stuff here"

Susan

EDIT: My latest brainstorm is to put the Ren'py battle engine in and have Garion fight the vacuum.
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Morgan_R
Regular

#180 Post by Morgan_R »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
Morgan_R wrote:The less said, the better, really.
I am firmly of the opinion that Bad Game is an excellent example of it's title because it's Cleverly bad. It actually does exactly as it intends. You have two ending -- both Bad, but what makes it clever is that it forces the player into a loop where they keep playing Even when they Know they will Lose! In other words, it's Psychologically bad too!
There's actually four endings... and one of them is good. And I'm not just saying that to make you play my horrible game again. ;)