The worst VN/KN ever created [Phase 2]

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

Re: The worst VN/KN ever created

#256 Post by OokamiKasumi »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Time for Phase 2.
For the people who participated, what did you get from this?
I got a powerful jolt of creativity that affected other creative aspects of my life. In fact, way more than I expected, especially for something I did strictly for fun. I also learned that I have an odd sense of humor, and that it's rather violent.

I'm with Sapphi in that I also felt a strong sense of camaraderie I haven't felt elsewhere in the forum -- which is why I participated. I wanted to be a part of this boisterous group. I wanted to play too.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Explosions&NickCage
Regular

Re: The worst VN/KN ever created [Phase 2]

#257 Post by Explosions&NickCage »

I had a fun time and I finally finished something other than the day prior to its due date.

Carassaurat
Veteran

#258 Post by Carassaurat »

I'm not sure if I really learned a whole lot. Yes, it's fun to finish something, and yes, it was fun to be able to make terrible jokes, and yes, it was fun playing some other people's games. I also got some positive comments on Origamo Furioso, so it's good to know that I'm not completely awful at writing and might actually be able to make something worth playing, if it has the necessary time and thought put into it.

But my problem, which became apparent with a failed NaNoRenO entry, is still obivous. I don't like writing. Thinking up characters is nice, and I can come up with fun snippets between them, but a whole story requires just so much more than that. Anything other than jest or pure stream of information is really hard for me. For this entry, I was able to avoid it alltogether, because all writing in it is joke and overdone melodrama. I was going to have a middle character building segment for every love interest in OG, but delayed that for its difficulty, and eventually never bothered to write it; that's only possible because I could go straight from introduction to undying love in a really bad VN, but it's not a viable option for a real one. I don't think my writing is particularly bad (at least not by visual novel standards, which are, quite frankly, not the highest), but it just doesn't come out fluently. The thought occurred to me that I might work better in cooperation with someone else, but I'm probably too much of an egomaniac and outsider to accept having to compromise.

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#259 Post by Cidz »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:For the people who participated, what did you get from this?
I had fun doing this. I don't get many chances just to practice my coding, because I'm working on WWOH which is a big project, and i cant really pick up another VN or i'll never finish WWOH, etc....etc....so things like this gives me an excuse to work on a VN without having to think about it much, so i can just get some practice and experience in and not have to worry "oh great, if i start this ill never finish the other one!"

J. Datie
Veteran

#260 Post by J. Datie »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:For the people who participated, what did you get from this?
Half an engine! :D I also learned the value of having short, obtainable goals. Seriously considering making one of these little derpy games as a stepping stone every time I need a new engine for a game. Have something that uses the basics of it, before adding more advanced features and polishing it up for the main attraction. That way, it goes EFFORT→REWARD→EFFORT→REWARD, instead of EFFORT→EFFORT→REWARD, or, more likely, EFFORT→EFF-→GIVE UP. Checkpoints errywhere.

Dim Sum
Regular

#261 Post by Dim Sum »

Don't have right to say this cause didn't finish in time but going in, I knew that, had I been working on a VN that "doesn't suck" I wouldn't have written and added certain dialogues just cause it's not supposed to.

However, things still surprise me especially cause being bad artist, plot was slave to what I can make "barely" recognizable.

Even things like name change to avoid copyright problems felt pretty weird. Like, I went from some characters having normal vg names to names like Saliva Vea. At least ones I couldn't get away with.

Still sucks but it's like breathe of fresh air. Lame jokes and bad sentences that I would have tried to scrape or edit off now becomes some of the most dominant sentences. Weird urban dictionary entries that I fear to use in sentences? Now it feels like a thesaurus entry rather than this have to at least make it through some dictionary.

Even bad concepts that were normally reserved for talented action anime directors like fictional equipments, I could insert with no worry except for changing copyrighted name.

Same thing for stuff I have zero idea of. Certain things like cosplay which I wouldn't even write at all cause I have zero idea of it other than "people wearing costumes" I could convince myself to write in to tune of "If I offend community then I have succeeded in making worser VN, if I don't then I can still put it in now cause it's not supposed to make sense."

Anyway, I think this important lesson. Cause these things you can't do with NaNoWriMo, much more NaNoRenO.

If plot don't make sense, you can't dare to make them even if there is audience for it (not that mine has but just speaking of all the VN entries I have downloaded here. It's not much but I think I broke interest for daily downloads of free RenVNs/plays cause of this thread more than I ever did at any point in time when I was just downloading and checking out VNs. It's like difference between all-you-can-eat buffet versus drive through/NBA 2k12 in-joke)

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#262 Post by wakagana »

It reminded me that I'm terrible at coding and programing.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#263 Post by SusanTheCat »

I got to try a whole bunch of stuff that I've wanted to do but didn't have a project to do it.
- using the Ren'Py Battle Engine: http://eviscerate.net/article/rpg-battle-engine-renpy
- using Ookami Kasumi's tutorial for making sprites and backgrounds from pictures (Sorry -- I can't find the link)
- using pictures for a Hidden Object Game http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=13830
- writing and performing my own song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bqyu85i3k0
- recording video of a bunch of games and compiling them together http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_71mpLHWd8I

I could do these things because I wasn't paralyzed by perfection.

I also enjoyed seeing what other people made when they didn't have to worry about it being good. And also the different aspects of "good" : writing, spelling, grammar, art, story flow, lack of polish, gui, weird gameplay, story logic...

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#264 Post by SusanTheCat »

Raw Footage of me playing Origamo Furioso for Carassaurat.

Raw Footage of me playing Love 'N Junk for Explosions&NickCage
Sorry there is no voicing of the narration.

Señor Volky McLupinstein and the League of Extraordinary Dentists for Sapphi
This one is just a straight recording. The voices are perfect as they are.

Susan
Added Love'N'Junk
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#265 Post by Sapphi »

SusanTheCat wrote: This one is just a straight recording. The voices are perfect as they are.
Why, thank you 8)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#266 Post by Sharm »

I didn't finish, but I learned a few things. 1. Working on something I don't have motivation for gives me lots of motivation to do the project I really want to do. 2. When I lost my OS to a virus it didn't matter that I could write my VN in a new OS and could use all my normal programs on a different computer. What mattered was that my work flow had been interrupted and getting used to a new one takes a long time. 3. I don't know nearly enough about how to make VN's.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#267 Post by SusanTheCat »

You though the madness was over --

Here are the final six VNs in Video format:

Susan

Carassaurat
Veteran

#268 Post by Carassaurat »

I know it's been a bit of a while now, but I wanted to thank you, Susan, for the footage of you playing Origamo Furioso. It's at the same time both extremely embarassing and extremely funny. I wanted to draw some Bad Cat fan art as a thank-you, but despite spending over an hour on it, it turned out quite rubbish, so let's just say it's the thought that counts, all right?

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#269 Post by SusanTheCat »

The Lady Tru accepts your offering.

You may now look at her paw.

=(^!^)=

Thank you!

Susan

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#270 Post by tigerkidde »

Is it too late to participate? Or highly not recommended at this point?