Cheesy stories?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

Cheesy stories?

#1 Post by azureXtwilight »

Title says all, people. People I know nowadays doesn't watch most dramas because it was extremely "cheesy". Some love cheesy things, but how cheesy? Why do you think a story/plot is cheesy? Is being cheesy good or bad? Share about some stories or plot you find cheesy :)

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Cheesy stories?

#2 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Children's stories? :'D

Mirage
Veteran

#3 Post by Mirage »

Hmm, this depends from people to people. For me, anything that makes me cringe is probably too cheesy for me. Stuff like: I only live for you. I want you. I'm born to protect you. They usually make me facepalm XD;;;

Also stuff like fighting fate, don't lose hope, justice will prevail, any of these can become very cheesy for me.

Usually something cheesy are things that's embarrassing if you say it out loud, or stuff you don't usually say in real life. I think the best way to avoid writing cheesy stories is by showing more action than words. If someone is in love, show it through action rather than a bunch of flowery words.

Whether being cheesy is bad or not, I don't know. X-note is my most cheesiest story. It sells well. Who say people don't like cheese? Cheeseburgers sell. XD

Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Victoria Jennings »

Mirage wrote:Cheeseburgers sell. XD
Especially to cats.

KalaCansado
Regular
Projects: The Feast of Glass

#5 Post by KalaCansado »

For me I think cheesy is a quite good thing....seems it is good, then it become over-used and cheesy...XD
Many story has a cheesy opening or ending, but we still cry or fall into it when we read it, so I think what will makes people think it is cheesy is 'how many' have you used it or 'when' you used it....

For example, a couple finally get together and then one of them suddenly get car accident or cancer something like that I will think it is too cheesy, but change the post, if one of them have cancer for a time before, then they have many difficulties but finally gets together, I won't think it is too cheesy (although others questions will come later), the planning of the plot is important ^^

Also someone dead and then his or her couple die for him or her at the same time.....it really too cheesy for me OTL

But like what Mirage said, it really depends on different peoples, I am the one who like cheesy idea, so I always accept many plot that people think it is cheesy XD

Hope I can help you ^^

yu1988
Regular
Projects: avan story
Organization: anigu

#6 Post by yu1988 »

I guess it's the matter of taste. Some love the romantic side of it and some don't.

To me, a cheesiest moment is in Navel Shuffle game
where the God girl decides to give up her love for other side of her
. It's just simply... very hard to digest the romantic moment when in your head, cheese appears everywhere.

And the character who says cheesiest comments should be Akari in Aqua series. But she's cute both in image and voice so i could hear her over and over again.

I don't think too cheesy is a bad thing. You will always find your players who agree with you. So go with it if you love and have fun with it.
Our game : Image
Visit our blog and twitter to get updates.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#7 Post by Gear »

Excessive idealism seems cheesy to me at times.

I take that back. Excessive idealism prevailing in the end seems cheesy to me. A lot of stuff, like Power Rangers and other kids' shows go for the idealistic ending where 'friendship and teamwork saves the day!' and 'we will always be unbeatable as long as we use TEAMWORK!' and so forth. I understand that in Western culture, we prefer happy endings and aren't fond of tragedies (I myself am guilty of that), but I think it gets cheesy when a work harps on idealism and uses that idealism to resolve the conflict without any need for a sacrifice of ideals by the protagonist(s).
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

In many ways, cynicism and grimness sell. It was definitely true in '90s comics, and it's still very common in video games. TV show characters such as Daria and Gregory House will be influential, if they aren't so already.

Even though a lot of people seem to consider idealism uncool, I think it's still possible to get adults interested in an idealistic series. I have just a few vague ideas in mind as to how this could work...