2D Vs 3D characters

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

2D Vs 3D characters

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

This has been an interesting topic to me recently.  How do you feel about the use of 2D or 3D graphics in VNs or KNs?

When you respond, I'd also like to ask if you are an artist, and if you are opposed to 3D is it because it's not what you're used to?
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: 2D Vs 3D characters

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

These sorts of questions have come up in the past, and have often gotten similar answers. Citing: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 44&t=13339

I'd say that the community isn't opposed to 3D art, but it's incredibly difficult to produce 3D art at the level that most people. It's definitely not an "easy way out." Even then though, it seems like some people are still opposed to 3D art in VNs.

Personally, I find 3D art to be nice, but only the 3D art with high production quality, like the stuff Square Enix puts out. I don't recall really liking any 3D character art that was produced by people that weren't paid professionals that were part of large studios.

I'm not an artist, but I'm definitely part of the audience that you might be catering to, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. :lol:

Other relevant link:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=12250
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#3 Post by Sapphi »

I am an artist.
I do not work with 3D models but have some experience sculpting/creating 3D art.

My instinctual response is "2D!"
I am very biased towards 2D graphics. I grew up watching them, I want to be a 2D animator, etc.
IMHO a lot of 3D work is not as stylized and therefore as expressive as 2D (read: boring). I think the medium does have potential, though. As I sit here I can look up and see my very stylized and very adorable anime figure collection*. So, if your 3D art looked like my adorable anime figures or Pixar characters, I think I could still appreciate it.

*AH MY LOVELY ALLENBY BEARDSLEY SITUATION FIGURE HNNNNNNNGH
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#4 Post by Samu-kun »

I am both a 2D and 3D artist and I say, please no 3D characters, ESPECIALLY if you are going to use Poser or something which looks similar to poser.

3D is good for rigging models and making characters move. Unfortunately, renpy doesn't support real time 3D animation and I doubt it ever will, so the primary benefit of 3D is out. Most of the time, people use 3D characters as a short cut by just relying on Poser or some similar software that lets them use a pre-made model and bend them into (unnatural) poses. You should not use 3D unless you actually know how to make 3D characters.

I think using 3D for things other than humans (backgrounds, inorganic objects) are a great idea. It saves a lot of time and you can get different shots from different angles with different lighting effects and all that. But all too often, 3D characters just look like creepy mannequins because they're used as a budget cutting measure by people who can't draw 2D.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#5 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I am not against 3D art. I think I DO have a preference for 2D art, but like Panda was saying if the 3D art has high production values I can certainly get behind it.

I am an adequate artist. I originally went to art school for illustration, but ended up in film because I fell in love with the story telling aspect of it.

I know I haven't posted any art around here so here are a couple of my traditional pieces from school: this (watercolor), this (cut paper) and this (the last one is artistically nsfw).

Maybe it is because I am a little older, but I just feel more attracted to well done 2D art than well done 3D art though.

Edit: I would be interested to see a visual novel use 3D models right. I haven't really seen that yet. Sorry if that's mean. D:
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Morgan_R
Regular

#6 Post by Morgan_R »

I prefer 2D.

In my professional life, I am a 3D artist. I'm opposed to 3D because the kind of 3D that can feasibly be produced by a single artist, or even a small team, is likely to be aesthetically unappealing.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#7 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have nothing against 3D as long as it looks good, which is frankly hard to pull off. I think people tend to see it as a short cut if you can't draw when in fact it requires skill and a high degree of attention to detail, especially when it comes to lighting and textures. Most amateur 3D stuff falls into uncanny valley and never comes out again. If you were going to use it on the same level as appealing 2D stuff you would have to be prepared to put in a lot of work.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Thanks a lot for the replies. Everyone is overwhelmingly in favour of 2D, for very logical reasons.

I was surprised that most people mentioned the quality of the 3D, but no-one mentioned the quality of 2D characters.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#9 Post by netravelr »

Well, there was a time that I was playing around with using 3D models for Culina: (click to open the full-size)

But I personally found that the 2D versions helped in a lot of areas, especially in showing emotion and in general looking nicer.

It's also much more cost effective in terms of doing real 3D models (especially low poly) can take a substantial amount of time. That's not to say I would never do 3D, but for this project I felt it was a little overkill. It really just depends on the project.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#10 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I think the non-mention of quality in 2D art is that within visual novels we have seen it before. Great 3D art in the same medium is more of a Chupacabra, if you catch my drift. Also I have found that 3D tends to be used in poorly done hentai games. And don't get me wrong, sometimes I LIKE hentai. ;D
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#11 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Thanks a lot for the replies. Everyone is overwhelmingly in favour of 2D, for very logical reasons.

I was surprised that most people mentioned the quality of the 3D, but no-one mentioned the quality of 2D characters.
The thing is, to get the same quality of appeal, 3D requires more work than 2D. Because 2D is more removed from reality than 3D, you also have a lot more room for mistakes and deviations with 2D work, thus me mentioning uncanny valley.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Ok, next question. If you had a lot of ideas that would require a large number of minor characters that would only appear briefly, would you rather cut the scenes when they appear, or try to create them anyway (using 2D)?

How would you feel if you were the artist and the other team member(s) told you they want to add a lot of characters that will only appear briefly?

Visuals vs content is also an issue for me.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#13 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Minor characters don't always end up getting sprites, even in large commercial works, so I'm not sure that you would need to cut the scenes if you don't get them drawn.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

It wouldn't be strange having disembodied voices in a KN?
The plan is to have portraits that change depending on their emotions, along with the main image in the main screen.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:Ok, next question. If you had a lot of ideas that would require a large number of minor characters that would only appear briefly, would you rather cut the scenes when they appear, or try to create them anyway (using 2D)?

How would you feel if you were the artist and the other team member(s) told you they want to add a lot of characters that will only appear briefly?

Visuals vs content is also an issue for me.
I wouldn't be that pleased honestly unless there was a good reason for the characters to show up. You can save time by using a doll system where you use the same base over and over again and adding in different features to make them different characters. I did that with BCM for the tertiary characters (and they are only side sprites). But that still takes time and if that character is only popping up for a couple seconds, well, it could feel like a lot of wasted effort. I would ask yourself very carefully if you really need ALL the extra sprites. Maybe there is a way to combine roles or scenes?