Pseudonyms vs. Real Names

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

Re: Pseudonyms vs. Real Names

#16 Post by Nellie »

I'm known as Nellie online and offline (uni and work name card, among friends and family, etc)... But that's not in any official registries and documents. Probably one reason why I'm not worried that someone might stalk and kill me? (Since they can't find my details from yellowbook or anything xD) Joke aside, as long as I'm not posting any controversial works, I guess I don't mind using my real name =3

erinism
Regular

#17 Post by erinism »

Hmmmn, personally I never use my real name online (not even on facebook) in case an employer sees what I wrote and can trace it back to me. It's not uncommon now days for people to get in trouble at work for things they did/wrote on the internet in their free time.

Then again, if you don't do anything wrong then I guess it doesn't matter, but I always have that thought at the back of my mind.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#18 Post by LVUER »

Even if you use your real name online, it's not like people will suddenly notice you, except when you write your whole full name, your address, phone number, and a lot of other informations in one nice page.

If you don't want to use your real name, but still want to use a "name" on internet, you can use a pen name. Lots of people use it.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#19 Post by Obscura »

After confiding to someone at work I was working on B/B game and having him laugh his ass off for a full five minutes, I've decided to stick with "Obscura." I would have liked to use a realistic sounding pen name instead...but too late now.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#20 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I like to keep my internet persona separate from my "real life" one, because I like having people think that I'm sane :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

DeeKay
Veteran

#21 Post by DeeKay »

I have a few pseudonyms/nicknames online and my real name is out there as well (mostly on job related sites though).
I don't mind sharing my name but as others have said, be mindful about your identity online.

Pen names are a good way to have a realistic sounding name without spilling the beans and still have your work associated with you.
redeyesblackpanda wrote:I like to keep my internet persona separate from my "real life" one, because I like having people think that I'm sane :lol:
Personaaa !
Um... sorry, I went ballistic for a sec ^^'
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Tsuroika
Regular
Projects: Where tIme Die\s\

#22 Post by Tsuroika »

DeeKay wrote: Personaaa !
Um... sorry, I went ballistic for a sec ^^'
I was just playing P3P, the MC shouted, "Persona!" right when I read your comment. :mrgreen:

My real name is different than my legal name. When I first started school, my teacher introduced me to the class and I immediately asked, "Who's that?" when she said my name...
I don't know why, but some asian parents decide to give their children more american sounding names while keeping a separate name in their native language. Perception is the first thing that comes to mind but, maybe they just thought it sounded cooler?

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using pseudonyms. Everyone puts on a different mask depending on the situation :D
DA
Remember these feelings.
Warmth, not of the sun here, but of the one long forgotten~

Kuroneko_rg
Veteran
Projects: Dark Pleasures, Kiss of Blood, Midnight Park
Organization: Black Cat Alleyway

#23 Post by Kuroneko_rg »

I hate my real name... And I hate my internet name as well. Sad thing, Kuroneko is soooooo generic you can find a Kuroneko everywhere on
the internet. I always hesitated if I should just suck it up and use my real name, but I hate it so badly I couldn't.
So I said "Hell with it, I'll stuck with Kuroneko to the end!" and here I am.
I also enjoy being a virtual person. If I give my real name I'd feel like trowing away that feeling.
Also, Redeyesblackpanda's point is a good reason to me as well.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#24 Post by nyaatrap »

I honesty think only adults can disclose some real life information. Kids (junior ~ high schoolers) tend to disclose their real life in the Internet but that's just bad. They are too young to take responsibilities what they've done in the public (and they don't know the internet is the public space. that's the problem)

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#25 Post by netravelr »

Well, I'm kinda a game designer as a career so I don't feel too terribly about having my name out there when I'm working on games. In this industry it is incredibly important to have people be able to find and contact you in terms of possible jobs and the like. While the projects I do in RenPy are passion projects more than anything though, so that's a good question to be thinking of. I think there are good points to both sides. Cheers!
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

DeeKay
Veteran

#26 Post by DeeKay »

nyaatrap wrote:I honesty think only adults can disclose some real life information. Kids (junior ~ high schoolers) tend to disclose their real life in the Internet but that's just bad. They are too young to take responsibilities what they've done in the public (and they don't know the internet is the public space. that's the problem)
Right, there's that first and foremost. Disclosure of personal information might get you unwanted exposure if you don't bear the responsabilities that come with it, much like giving out every bit of info about you to the first stranger you come across on the streets. Everybody needs their private space after all. I mean, would you leave your front door open to anyone ? It's a matter of where to draw the line before going too far I guess.
Tsuroika wrote:Personally, I see nothing wrong with using pseudonyms. Everyone puts on a different mask depending on the situation :D
You're still you overall, you're just showing another side of yourself. Cool stuff :)
netravelr wrote:Well, I'm kinda a game designer as a career so I don't feel too terribly about having my name out there when I'm working on games. In this industry it is incredibly important to have people be able to find and contact you in terms of possible jobs and the like. While the projects I do in RenPy are passion projects more than anything though, so that's a good question to be thinking of. I think there are good points to both sides. Cheers!
That's a really good point there. In any case, sharing your real name will have consequences, both intentional and out of your control, you just have to be aware of them and whether it would serve a purpose. A name is important regardless.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Carassaurat
Veteran

#27 Post by Carassaurat »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:As an interesting parallel, your avatar can really affect how people see you as well.
Same here - I went with a head at least a decade older than I actually am and a bit of a bottom shot to try and get a picture that looks serious and knowledgeable. I'm used to thinking of myself as a bit of a youngster, even though with 24 I'm probably not on these forums, and I supposed that by looking older I'd get taken seriously sooner. It might also have to do with me looking far younger in the physical world than I actually am.

And then I entered the Worst VN/KN ever created challenge, so my avatar may have been entirely for naught :lol:
papillon wrote:For me it's complicated - my actual name is not at all hard to figure out if you're looking
From LateWhiteRabbit's list of Pseudonyms of famous people: Papillon / Henri Charriere / Convict .
It seems Sapphi's paranoia isn't entirely without ground...

-

Since I just last week started writing a VN about just these kinds of issues, I'm eagerly reading every word of this thread. Thanks, community :) .

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#28 Post by Destiny »

I would never use my real name, since it is easy to track me down and I had bad experience with that once already (some sick guy that called me daily and a scary woman that stalked me at home).
People that know me can still track me down easily, but most don't get to know that much and will never know who I am.
And I'm surely not gonna change that (maybe when I marry, move away and get a new surname so all my data is useless anyway).
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#29 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I don't think I have to worry about stalkers at home. To get to my home, people have to walk down an alleyway where my boxing club is. Big tough guys that I'm friends with, some of which are pro.

How famous do you need to be to get stalked though? I've never really heard of anyone getting so worked up about a VN that they start stalking the creator(s). Online harassment could be a hassle though. I wouldn't want someone hassling my friends of family online.
Thankfully I have a name that is almost impossible to search for. I tried.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#30 Post by nyaatrap »

Here are many underaged people so we adults should care for them. What we are doing aside, they shouldn't put their personal informations on the internet and we *pretend* we shouldn't.

I know some minors who putted their privates on the internet and be tracked down by 2ch... and that's disaster for their life.