Idea for attracting artists

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
clannadman

Idea for attracting artists

#1 Post by clannadman »

What do you think about making a game using stock sprites and images as a pre-release, so if artists are interested and enjoy the game, they can know what they're getting themselves into? Almost as a way of testing someone who's recruiting artists?

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

Re: Idea for attracting artists

#2 Post by Sharm »

On the one hand artist are attracted to projects that have good visuals. Silly, I know, but you're much more likely to get an artist interested in your project if there is some sort of visual component to your pitch. Having a full working demo is really good too, it lets the artist know that you can get something done and what kind of quality they can expect from you. On the other hand, having art already in can be accidentally limiting, giving the artists wrong ideas about what you're expecting. If you have very cutesy artwork people who draw more serious or non-cutesy stuff won't offer, not because they're not interested, but because they figure they're not what you want. It can also influence how an artist will draw a scene or sprite, they'll unconsciously try to make it look like the demo image. Either way a demo is a great idea for attracting artist, it's just the art that has consequences.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#3 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

clannadman wrote:What do you think about making a game using stock sprites and images as a pre-release, so if artists are interested and enjoy the game, they can know what they're getting themselves into? Almost as a way of testing someone who's recruiting artists?
I don't think that that's a bad idea at all. It's important for a writer to be able to demonstrate his or her skills. Using stock images is probably going to give a better impression to an artist than using nothing at all. (I'll admit that I've only done the latter though.)
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Sharm wrote:On the other hand, having art already in can be accidentally limiting, giving the artists wrong ideas about what you're expecting. If you have very cutesy artwork people who draw more serious or non-cutesy stuff won't offer, not because they're not interested, but because they figure they're not what you want. It can also influence how an artist will draw a scene or sprite, they'll unconsciously try to make it look like the demo image.
I worry about this. I think it would be true in my case.

The thing that attracts me is a script that is finished. I do like it when reference images are provided, though, even if they're just stick figure level.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#5 Post by Reikun »

I find text-only demos to be pretty attractive. For me, it not only shows that the writer has gotten a certain amount of work done, but I can also decide whether or not I will like the story/project in general, and thus if I can draw for it with a certain level of interest and quality. Placeholder art is fine for showing approximately how many sprites/backgrounds/etc will be needed the for project, but you should be able to list this for a prospective artist whether or not you're using placeholder art anyway.

In my opinion, a great story (regardless of medium) should be able to stand on it's own. Even if you use the prettiest placeholders, you won't be able to attract an artist if the story doesn't interest them.
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#6 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

One thing that placeholders show that writing doesn't is coding ability. This might not be incredibly important to the artist, however.

I guess it all depends on what you're trying to show :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

#7 Post by Tetiel »

I think it's a great idea. It helps your potential artist get a good impression of the character's personality and reactions. I usually draw better after reading into a character's background. It helps bring them to life, you know?