Where to start?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Tom Bombadil
Regular

Where to start?

#1 Post by Tom Bombadil »

Stupid site ate my post :evil:
^_^;;
Anyway, I have very little programming experience, and would like to try to make a ren'ai game sometime. Can anyone recommend me a good engine/language/program to use? I've done a bit with the OHRRPGCE (but not with plotscripting; the program never works for me >_<), a tad with HTML, and a healthy bit of Visual Basic (but I lost the book :cry: ) I was actually considering trying Klik & Play, for which I never found a use....any thoughts?

And while you're here, what other good English ren'ai can I get for free besides ToL? (which rules BTW \m/ >_< \m/) Anybody here have something I can download?

Thanks for your help! ^_^
Meh, I don't feel like coming up with a sig right now....^_^;;

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#2 Post by Sai »

Hiya!

Well I think all programming languages need a bit of patience. But I found Director to be OK. I have to study it anyway on my course.
Director isn't very common (why on earth I need to learn it regardless, don't ask me) though so I suggest it's semi-clone Flash (they use different scripting languages, Director being Lingo, and Flash being Action Script, but seem prett similar otherwise >_>; )
Because it's object based or whatever you'd say (as in it's like youre controlling actors on a stage which is easier to handle and think about) it's simpler in my opinion.

The main thing for a dating sim in Flash is variables!
A variable in it's basic form is:
When something happens do this
otherwise
do that

By learning that you can set up different paths which is something crucial to visual novels it seems

A scene in Director would probably go like this in English
Girl A appears before you, she seems happy and starts talking to you
Girl A: Hello I'd like to ask you something! Do you like puppies?

Yes I like puppies
No they always bite me

Girl A (if you answered Yes): Yeah, they're so cute!
You: Yeah =)
*both go to buy some puppies*

Girl A (if you answered No): They probably bite you because you don't like them!
You: That makes no sense
*girls walks off in a mood*
And that scene in coding would be something along the lines of (bear in mind this would be broken up and put onto different frames/scenes rather than one big chunk... )

Code: Select all

on enterFrame
girl_image.visible=TRUE
dialogue_box.text=Girl A appears before you, she seems happy and starts talking to you
dialogue_box.text=Girl A: Hello I'd like to ask you something! Do you like puppies?

dialogue_box.text=Yes I like puppies
             No they always bite me
(and in the script of the dialogue box you'd put (I've forgotten the exact script for it):

if they click line 1 then Yes = TRUE
if they click line 2 then No = TRUE
Initially Yes and No would be FALSE because nothings been clicked yet, you set stuff like what something will be beofre anything has happened in the overall Movie Script, things that happen when you click something in the Script of the thing they'd need to click on, and things that you want to happen when they move into that frame/scene in the Frame Script)

if Yes = TRUE then

dialogue_box.text=Girl A: Yeah, they're so cute!
dialogue_box.text=You: Yeah =)
dialogue_box.text=*both go to buy some puppies*

else

dialogue_box.text=Girl A: They probably bite you because you don't like them!
dialogue_box.text=You: That makes no sense
dialogue_box.text=*girls walks off in a mood*
HTML is a bit too limited. It's possible to do a game in it I'm sure. But I tried HTML and when I got to page200.html and lost where I was I was like "Forget it >_<" haha =D

Theres a series of books called QuickStart or QuickPro etc. Check on Amazon.com
There's one for almost every common programming language and they're reccomended by teachers and stuff so they seem reliable.

Grey
Veteran

#3 Post by Grey »

Yeah, Flash, just like Sai said. You don't need to know any code for graphics beyond making movie clips visible/play/go to different scenes.

The actionscript language can be used very simply just to compliment movies girl1.gotoAndStop("happy") and suchlike, but it can be a very powerful (like by heavily overusing my absolute favourite Flash 5 command eval() which has been replaced by something odd in Flash MX )

SO download a trial copy and have a play around in it to see what you can do. I taught myself actionscript with nothing bar the help file. If you have a look down the threads in here for Kasuka, thats a game I made in Flash5, so it gives you an idea of what it can do even though the artwork is bad.

Wishful

#4 Post by Wishful »

Or, you can check out the Ren'Py engine, which is awesome. ^_^ As for free games, try looking around in this forum, people are often making wonderful ones. Kasuka and Black Pencil are two such games.
~This random senselessness brought to you by Wishful~

Eiji
Regular

flash vids...

#5 Post by Eiji »

yeah.. flash is a good medium for beginners... in fact, I know a good site thats nothing BUT flash..

http://www.homestarrunner.com
lots of "toons" on this.. all are rather amusing :lol: