Rating System for VN's?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Lone Maestro

Rating System for VN's?

#1 Post by Lone Maestro »

So I'm new to LSF and Renpai, and one of the greatest difficulties in selecting a game to play (from renai.us) is... well, selecting. So I just wanted set forth the idea of having a rating system for each game? (I don't know, 1-10? A-C?) Or, maybe a guarantee that each game made is to be rated?

I'm sure that every game offers a different experience, and they shouldn't be generalized in any way, but I thought a rating system could be a measure of the percentage of audience who would be likely to really enjoy the game.

So maybe the better-made games would have their names easily accessible to newbies (like me). And the games that aren't that popular would at least get some attention, in the form of having it rated. Because right now, I have to dig through specific forums topics to even see the name of the allegedly "best" VN's. (Adrift, Alistair(sp?), Moonlight)

As for who's doing the rating, I'm divided over the general audience, or the veteran players/makers with 90% of the wisdom here...

Thanks for hearing me out.

Ziassan
Veteran

Re: Rating System for VN's?

#2 Post by Ziassan »

While it's true that rating always have these bad sides... some system like http://vndb.org would be helpful (with tag etc., and they try to make a difference between popularity and rating)
Actually there isn't really any good way to search through all the OELVN made, yeah, and it's something that lacks. But not that easy to handle I guess.
Last edited by Ziassan on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dim Sum
Regular

#3 Post by Dim Sum »

Lone Maestro wrote:So I'm new to LSF and Renpai, and one of the greatest difficulties in selecting a game to play (from renai.us) is... well, selecting. So I just wanted set forth the idea of having a rating system for each game? (I don't know, 1-10? A-C?) Or, maybe a guarantee that each game made is to be rated?

I'm sure that every game offers a different experience, and they shouldn't be generalized in any way, but I thought a rating system could be a measure of the percentage of audience who would be likely to really enjoy the game.

So maybe the better-made games would have their names easily accessible to newbies (like me). And the games that aren't that popular would at least get some attention, in the form of having it rated. Because right now, I have to dig through specific forums topics to even see the name of the allegedly "best" VN's. (Adrift, Alistair(sp?), Moonlight)

As for who's doing the rating, I'm divided over the general audience, or the veteran players/makers with 90% of the wisdom here...

Thanks for hearing me out.
Some complain that system destroyed DA (but only paraphrasing)

Anyway those aren't best VN. Just most polished/most mainstream one.

To get best VN for you, better off check review blogs. Too many VNs have different art style and plot themes.

I like to call Moonlight part of Renpy Characters set.

Alistair and Adrift part of Tech Otome (also self term)

Better off trying to suggest some way of one of a kind rating less you get same tired ole replies about 1-10 rating system, etc.

Example: O3 is exclusive style not yet replicated I think.

Also good way to search for VN concept already out there but no site actually exist. Take parts MAL, parts MangaFox, parts Facebook or parts Google Play Store or parts allmangasreader.com search engine + sync so it not important to have games.renpy database and new games forum.

VNDB more like VN version of Baka Updates (or VN version of IMDB for Capt. Obvious). Good for info. Not so good for spotting discussions/befriending people with same interest and scaling games of lesser but more diverse quality.

Also: This won't be listened to but what you are really looking for is not rating system but "reseeding" system. This what torrent community do when old torrents get forgotten. Moonlight for example is old VN so proper rating would always "hide" it or it showing up only cause it was first feature VN made of RenPy awesomeness.

Forum don't have torrents but if old VNs can be request-necro'ed in separate forum and times it got approved count as rating, that will fix name problem you have based only on VNs you listed. Some members actually tried doing it. Forgot what it's called. Strange didn't see new topic but think saw topic where every week/month someone plays old title but recently there was no thread made of it.

Last VN earning that honor (I think) is Ludum Dare: Enemy of the Solid State. Name you would barely read about but highly touted. Last silent underrated best VN that made posters cry was recently bumped VN: That Cheap and Sacred Thing.
Last edited by Dim Sum on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

Rather than a rating system, for the games/VNs in the completed games sub-forums, I suggest that newbies look at the VN's description and artwork, the number of views, and the number of replies.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Dim Sum
Regular

#5 Post by Dim Sum »

fleet wrote:Rather than a rating system, for the games/VNs in the completed games sub-forums, I suggest that newbies look at the VN's description and artwork, the number of views, and the number of replies.
Doesn't work. Tons of unique one of a kind quality VNs don't have much replies. Esp. old ones.

AxemRed
Veteran

#6 Post by AxemRed »

Lone Maestro wrote:So I just wanted set forth the idea of having a rating system for each game? (I don't know, 1-10? A-C?) Or, maybe a guarantee that each game made is to be rated?
Who would do the rating?

Lone Maestro

#7 Post by Lone Maestro »

Yes, implementing a rating system DOES seem to have heavy consequences... My apologies for not realizing that earlier. To list a few: creating a more competitive atmosphere that not everyone would want, shattering people's aspirations, and the likes.

As for the reference sites listed, sure, I'll give them a try. Just gotta learn their interfaces first!

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#8 Post by Sharm »

BTW, the games list at renpy.org have ratings, something I've used extensively and like a lot.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard