Learning the Renpy Engine.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
AxVeil

Learning the Renpy Engine.

#1 Post by AxVeil »

How hard is it? How easy is it?

I have some coding experience, I mostly work on HTML5. What do you guys think in me trying to learn this engine?

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

Re: Learning the Renpy Engine.

#2 Post by Blane Doyle »

I think it is surprisingly easy, just intimidating for some. I had no experience with code at all when I first found it and I think I am doing a good job of teaching myself how to use it.

It can be difficult when you first pick it up, but give yourself a day or two and you'll probably have the basics down without any issue.

DeeKay
Veteran

#3 Post by DeeKay »

Ren'Py is using the Python language but it's not necessary to have a deep knowledge in programming to get started.

The basics are easy. You're given quite a lot out of the box. For instance, Screen Language and ATL (Animation and Transformation Language) give you ways to code easier without getting to program directly in Python. The possibility to dig in still exists, especially if you want to implement more complex behaviors but don't be intimidated by that at first. You don't have to go there if you don't need to.
-- No longer active --
-- English/French Translation topic here
-- Hope~ - Symphony of Tomorrow alpha demo playthrough here (1h35mn long video !)

-- Current avatar by SilverHyena => her DA account

-- Check out this project if you have some time !

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#4 Post by Nuxill »

As a person who can barely wrap my head around any other sort of code, I found Ren'Py extremely easy to get into. You should be able to handle it no sweat. :)

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#5 Post by Geckos »

It is intimidating, but practice makes perfect. Just do a little each day, and fiddle around with stuff. Definitely check out this tutorial, it is great for easing you into it and teaching you enough to start a simple game yourself.
Image ImageImage

AxVeil

#6 Post by AxVeil »

I see. Thanks for replying guys.

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#7 Post by Mutive »

Alla29 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:43 pm
LOL why?
It's easy language
I'd agree that it's an easy language. But if you're not already familiar with programming, *any* language can seem daunting.

(And while I'd agree that the basics are pretty easy, doing fancier stuff can be pretty tricky. This is true for a number of advanced Ren'Py features as well as trying to develop new modules using Python. Plus, things like making the graphics look pretty, designing GUI, etc. are challenging in their own special ways if this isn't something someone is already adept at.)
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue