Main Character: Not visible, half body or bust view?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

Main Character: Not visible, half body or bust view?

#1 Post by Geckos »

If a VN was going to have the main character visible, which method would you prefer? Or do you just enjoy not seeing them at all, so you more easily fall into the persona of the main character?
A bust shot in the corner of the text box that changes expression? Or a half body/thigh high up image that stands next to the other characters in the story?
Image ImageImage

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

Re: Main Character: Not visible, half body or bust view?

#2 Post by junna »

can I say....I don't care either way? lol.

but I do like the characters in view on the screen but if like they're over looking a view or something, I like the side images visible... urm like the characters were overlooking a fantastic view (edge of floating islands, looking down to the ground...lol), and they're commenting on it but it's not possible for them to stand in front of the MC.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#3 Post by Blane Doyle »

I actually prefer seeing the main character, or at least them having a face. Faceless-MC-Syndrome bugs me quite a bit, I at least prefer them to look generic.

That said, when it comes to showing them as a sprite... I do enjoy both options, but it depends on the context of the game. When you are supposed to be going with the main character and seeing it entirely through their perspective I usually prefer no sprite at all or a sideimage. However, if it is written well enough I do enjoy a sprite for them.

I've seen elsewhere that sideimages are apparently either not well liked or no one cares if they are they. Honestly I love them, even if only the MC gets one. (Granted, one thing that annoys me about that is they when their sprite disappears the textbox itself gets bigger for other characters. I don't like the change of where the text is or how much longer the lines can be for some reason.)

ghostbunnies

#4 Post by ghostbunnies »

I sincerely hate it when the main character has no face. ;-;
I need the distance! I've felt awkward and embarrassed when
the MC never appeared. (I also can't stand using my own name
in games, as a related feeling.) I just don't play games to be me.
I want to root for the MC! It's a more outside view, like the way
the main character in a book would be seen, you know?

However they're shown, I like to see their faces react; returns a bit
of non-verbal cues to text, and that enhances the story, in my opinion. :>
tumblr

AxemRed
Veteran

#5 Post by AxemRed »

If it's written in first person, the main character shouldn't be visible.

Manga
Regular

#6 Post by Manga »

It depends on the game. If we're meant to see "from their eyes", then it makes sense for them not to generally be visible. If we're just coasting along as a participant to their story, then it makes sense for them to be more visible, just like any other character.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#7 Post by Geckos »

I see, I see!
Thank you all very much. That helps narrow it down quite a bit.
Image ImageImage

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I like knowing what the character looks like personally. You know what yourself look like after all. You don't blunder around life with no concept of what you look like or how your expressions work. Your visual identity plays a part of your overall identity. Is the main character big, small, tall, short, good looking, scary looking, etc etc. How does that effect how other characters view them. It would be a nice form of subtle visual story telling. It's interesting to see how the main character reacts to different things as well.

I tend to prefer side portraits for first person and on screen for third.

Manga
Regular

#9 Post by Manga »

@above: At the same time, you don't see yourself constantly. You can also look bigger/smaller by, e.g. making characters look up or down at you when they face you.

Of course, it's not exactly an "all or nothing" situation.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#10 Post by nyaatrap »

Even if it's written in first person, I prefer to be shown main char as a sprite occasionally. I think there's no problem to show "myself" in the game, because you can watch "yourself" in your real life in your imaginary eyes. If you an artist, especially a martial artist or a Yoga artist, you know what I mean - human's brain can have the third eye to watch himself as a object.
BTW, hiding appearance does nothing to synchronize to the character. If personality is preferable, it's easy to sync to regardless of their faces. If personality is that general wimpy harem thing, any faces - even no face - are useless to me.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#11 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Invisible POV (point of view) characters give me the creeps. I like to see what character I'm playing. I'll settle for just a side image, if that's all I get, but at least one full-body shot makes it much easier for me to really grasp who I'm playing.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

tigerkidde
Regular
Projects: Summer Tales of Katt and June

#12 Post by tigerkidde »

I think it depends on the MC. If the MC is the silent protagonist, then I don't have the expectation to see him/her/it.

If the main character has an existing personality or has a past with characters, I would like to see a face. Since, to me, this is an established character that even without our guidance, would like make choices based on his/her personality.

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#13 Post by Daistarir »

Half body at least .
Seeing a visible MC kinda freak me out . It's like you don't know who you're playing at.
Or non-face is ugly .
Remember Starry Sky . The stupidest kiss scene . Even it's a quality work but come on. , what do I have to do ?
Kiss my Laptop Screen?

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

#14 Post by MiSi »

I usually don't like games who make you be the MC. So I definitively vote for sprites (invisible MC is a no-go for me ;) ). A bust up at the side of the textbox is my favourite, I think. I also use those for characters who are standing behind or next to the MC, but not directly in front of him/her.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#15 Post by Hijiri »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Invisible POV (point of view) characters give me the creeps. I like to see what character I'm playing. I'll settle for just a side image, if that's all I get, but at least one full-body shot makes it much easier for me to really grasp who I'm playing.
This. I absolutely despise faceless MC's. Plus, it becomes a pain on the artist if they have to try adn keep his/her face hidden. (I'm looking at you generic erouge games!)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."