Has Any Game Ever Made You Cry?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kurb

Has Any Game Ever Made You Cry?

#1 Post by Kurb »

I'm a big fan of melodrama and bittersweet endings. I follow the philosophy that its a greater accomplisment to make your audience cry than to make them laugh. So tell me, have any of you guys played an english Visual Novel that's ever made you want to take out your hankerchiefs? Anyone ever made a game that's done that to someone?

I remember reading somewhere about a story of a brother and his terminally ill sister. Somehow, despite the incest and hentai themes in the story, all the reviewers I read said they walked away crying at the end. Now that's an impressive story!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Unfortunately, Kana ~ Little Sister did not make me cry. Although I was glued to the monitor for a while afterwards.

What did make me cry was Narcissu. Thrice in fact. Twice because of the text, once because of the music.

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#3 Post by Recca Phoenix »

I think I might have cried after getting all the way to the end of Meine Liebe and missing the good ending by one point.....ALL MY WASTED EFFORT!!!! ;(

Kurb

#4 Post by Kurb »

Are those titles in English? I can't cry if I don't know what the hell's going on. lol

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by monele »

Kana made me cry. I agree with most reviews I've seen. It's really not your regular hentai game. It's the game of story that could have done without the hentai and incest actually.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

Although cultural stereotypes will not let me admit to having been made to cry by Kana, my lawyers have told me I can admit to having "manifested an emotional response".

I could barely keep it together when integrating "Broken Hearted". That was an interesting game, because I did most of the integration work with scripts so that working on it wouldn't spoil the first playthrough.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I seen to remember that Hourglass of Summer made me cry- but I can't remember why... Might have been
The whole situation with Ai's father being hospitalized
Yeah- guess I'm a softie :oops:

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#8 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I (either fortunately or unfortunately) haven't been brought to tears by any of the games I've played. Though I haven't played Kana yet, and by the look of things, that very well may change if I ever get a chance to try it. I'll admit that one game that was real close was Planetarian. A lot of people recommend playing through it in one sitting, so that's what I did, so I guess that's why it hit me particularly hard.
Last edited by DrakeNavarone on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#9 Post by Alessio »

Phantom of Inferno made me cry. Because of the terrible user interface (no skipping, no fast-forward, bookmarks don't work etc.). ^_^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

I'll also add Ever17 to the list... but really, I'm a softie on that one ^^;

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Adorya »

Narcissu by stage-nana and translated by Haeleth, because of intense emotion in a short lenght.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#12 Post by mikey »

Alessio wrote:Phantom of Inferno made me cry. Because of the terrible user interface (no skipping, no fast-forward, bookmarks don't work etc.). ^_^
You are so mean to one of the greatest bishoujo games ever made! - actually #2 right after Desire in my book. The clumsiness is one of PoI's charms. :P

As for the crying - surprisingly no. I am relatively immune to Narcissu-ish kana-istic planetarian-y tear-inducing stories.

I had a very emotional moment with Private Nurse, since I got Ms Sasho on my first try (and later found out that she is apparently very hard to get), as well as my second playthrough of True Love, where, again, I stumbled upon a girl I never noticed before and it ended up very romantically. Crying? Not really. But then, I shed a tear while watching almost any anime - Rahxephon, Pokemon, Najica, even Black Lagoon - for some reason I'm not really emotionally stable when it comes to animated stories ^_^

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#13 Post by yummy »

Sure, there has been quite a lot of Visual Novels that made me cry.
Ah... English Visual Novels... Well it's quite hard for me to bring out english translated (or made) ones because up until now, there has been only a few of them that appaled me.

The major one that has been translated officially, Ever 17, is indeed a reference for me. The story is quite difficult to predict and that's what interested me in the first place.

I'm mainly playing japanese ones so... I'm sorry if I can't really answer this question.

My favorite japanese VN is Clannad. Its characters are charming and there is an alternance between really comical scenes and really sad scenes. So It went up and down, sometimes really quickly and I'm still amazed by the power of the stories. It's a mix of friendship, love and humor. I think it might have directly inherited from Kanon.
I wish some company bought a licence and translated it...

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by musical74 »

There's been a couple of games that have brought tears to my eyes, either because of the moment or because of the scene...actual crying? No...but there are some games that might cause me to get all depressed and think about crying...

Haven't played Kana or Ever17 so can't relate to those...there's a scene in Nocturnal Illusions that's very touching though....
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Kurb

#15 Post by Kurb »

Where can I get Ever 17 or narcissu?

Has Kana been translated?