NaNoRenO 2007- The ren'ai visual novel challenge!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
absinthe
Regular

#16 Post by absinthe »

DaFool wrote:(feels scoffed at) :?

I am confident there will be a high completion rate. People have been exposed to the microgame style of doing things, so its just building on the development process.
Hehehehe. I'm not sure I'll actually finish, to be honest; this challenge is totally going to cut into my annual birthday-related three week spiral of depression next month. I suppose I can try to skip it this year, though.

I did finish Danse Macabre (well, except for the character art) in about a month, and I was still learning Ren'Py at the time... I'm pretty proficient with it by now, and I have a good year's worth of experience in related fields to apply as well.

So I guess we'll see! :)
DaFool wrote:On the other hand I've always wanted to do epic things. I am almost tempted to suggest a GiGaReNo (since giga is 10^9 which is opposite of nano which is 10^-9) which will include Great English Visual Novel Race games...
I do have a couple of games like that 'in the works' but since the projected completion times are sometime in 2020 based on the time elapsed so far, it'd have to be a really, really slow Great English Visual Novel Race. Like, glacially slow.

It's too bad there isn't someone I can hire to just take all my great half-baked, half-implemented ideas ("Okay, you've played the first twenty minutes, wasn't it awesome? Now here's a text file outlining the last four hours, go implement it!") and finish them for me.

(Hmmm... now I want to go watch The Great Race...)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#17 Post by monele »

It's too bad there isn't someone I can hire to just take all my great half-baked, half-implemented ideas ("Okay, you've played the first twenty minutes, wasn't it awesome? Now here's a text file outlining the last four hours, go implement it!") and finish them for me.
Oh god, I want that too ;o;... Are there uh... "finishers" out there? ^^;

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#18 Post by Nafai »

*laughs* Only in so far as stories are concerned - I can help finish people's stories. but as to art and programming, I'd be very little help :P

As to NaNo... I'd love to join in, but I'm already committed to a big project - I dont consider it in the running for Giga either, though I hope to make the 4 hour mark ^_^

Maybe if things go well and I can sneak in the time to do a prologue to my project... We'll see I guess. I'll think it over before Feb ends ^_^

yuirei
Regular

#19 Post by yuirei »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Great! Welcome aboard yuirei! Also, I've decided... I'm signing up too!!
Thanks ^-^ I'm not yet confident that I could deliver a quality VN but I will try my best to make one.
DaFool wrote: Rules:
1. At least 4 hours total playing time, which is commercial length
This one is hard to achieve - I only plan to make a VN with 20-30 mins playtime length =( if this is to be implemented - I'm sure people would start coming up with "fillers" ^^;;

Misuzu
Regular

#20 Post by Misuzu »

Mabbe someone can help me with this...
But what does NaNoRenO stand for? National Novel Ren'ai... O? :shock:
Somehow I highly doubt the O stands for what we came up with on the Gemot >.>;;.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#21 Post by dizzcity »

I guess that's what happens when you take a term from another genre and just try to blindly fit it in somehow. It makes even less sense when you realise just how inapplicable the "Na" part is. :)

In any case, I can't participate. Overloaded as it is. (Why can't these things be held in June? :P)

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Jake
Support Hero

#22 Post by Jake »

Misu wrote:Mabbe someone can help me with this...
But what does NaNoRenO stand for?
Maybe it's ... Novel Ren'ai Ocularis, since 'visual' novels are different from regular novels? ;-)

I figured it probably didn't expand to anything meaningful and was just supposed to sound like 'NaNoWriMo'...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#23 Post by mugenjohncel »

Umm... NaNoRenO...
Here are the rules for NaNoRenO:

1. You mustn't begin your work prior to March 1st
2. It must be a ren'ai game. Example: a computer game or an interactive fiction themed around romance
3. Must have a least two endings
4. Teams are allowed
5. Developers may join the fray at any time within the month. If you feel you can make the deadline, give it your best shot!
6. The challenge begins 12:00AM, March 1st at your time zone and ends 12:00AM, April 1st 2005, your time zone.
What!?...

Looks again, and this time focused on one very specific line...
2. It must be a ren'ai game. Example: a computer game or an interactive fiction themed around romance
(Insert long silence here)... I guess the story running in my head right now is automatically disqualified... oh well.

(Goes back to work on Mr. K and polishing Lucy's Revenge)

Misuzu
Regular

#24 Post by Misuzu »

Well, since ShiraiJunichi asked me to, I present you the official NaNoRenO website. Nothing terribly flashy, but it'll do the trick ^^.

http://nanoreno.visualnews.net/
He'll take over it now and put in some more content ^^;.

Yeah, I was asking what it stood for so I could put that in the Title, but oh well xD.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#25 Post by mikey »

Fantastic, thanks!!

I don't want to undermine the rules, of course, but since the RAA have had their scope extended to VNs in general, maybe it could also extend to NaNoRenO... But it's probably the decision of the organizer.

Misuzu
Regular

#26 Post by Misuzu »

What is the RAA?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#27 Post by PyTom »

I don't think NaNoRenO has a strong expansion. IIRC, it's sort of based off of NaNoMangO.

I wouldn't overthink it too much.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#28 Post by mikey »

RAA is the Ren'Ai Archives - a.k.a. http://www.renai.us

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by DaFool »

Does one have to announce one is participating beforehand?

What if in the middle of march, someone decides to just up and make a game in 72 hours, and releases it out of the blue? Does it count?

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#30 Post by mugenjohncel »

I don't want to undermine the rules, of course, but since the RAA have had their scope extended to VNs in general, maybe it could also extend to NaNoRenO... But it's probably the decision of the organizer.
So... does this mean I'm qualified to participate even if this little story running in my head doesn't contain any... romance or ren'ai content?

Also, does it really have to have two endings?

If I'm going to join, I'll probably do something as short as Lucy's Revenge and most likely a kinetic one (meaning no choices).