How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

Re: How did you decide on a team/studio/other name?

#31 Post by Joey »

Etoranze comes from the title of a song we both liked, so it stuck... It's the Japanese romanization of a French word for stranger, so yeah, it's pretty weird xD; I don't think we're going to change it anytime soon, though.
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr

MarineScripter
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden Productions

#32 Post by MarineScripter »

My partner's the one who started the company--but she asked me to name it. I came up with around five lame suggestions...then I suddenly asked if she'd like Oceanic Eden, as she likes the fantasy-type flair. Not very exciting, but that's how we got here.

VenusEclipse
Veteran
Completed: Princess of Ruin, Frozen Essence, Heartstring Bugs
Organization: Unbroken Hours
Tumblr: unbrokenhours
Deviantart: venus-eclipse

#33 Post by VenusEclipse »

Hmm, it took me nearly two years for the name.

I needed a name that represents what I plan to make and I lean towards more serious stories even though my current sim is pretty much about slice of life and humour.

In my mind, people would sit and read, and not see time pass by. Or time stands still. You're just in that moment enjoying the story.

I had words like swirling in my mind, trying to fit together with other words. The words were like, time, broken, timeless, existence, stories, clocks...

Then I had to choose a name for these reasons. Does the domain exist? Is there another group out there with the name? Is it another company name? Can I register the name on any other site? And most importantly, does it represent what I want it to?

Then...dun dun dun
Unbroken Hours!

(Although it took me much longer to figure that out. I looked through a thesaurus and kept asking others what they thought of the name. I scrapped other silly ones.)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#34 Post by azureXtwilight »

Kirroha : Yo, sup.
Lumen : Sup, bro.
Kirroha : Let's make a group
Me : What will it's name be?"
(Some random suggestion whom I forgot) : Memento Mori
Lumen : Oh, cool
Kirroha : Okay

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#35 Post by Fungii »

omg I'm awful with names, I don't even know what I'm going to release my games under.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#36 Post by MaiMai »

I have not released any VN/KN in so long bluhbluh, but I stick to Paper Stars as the name I'll put on any I AM able to release in the future.

And as some of you might or might not guess, the name comes from these:

I love making paper stars as a weird mini-not-really-hobby. There are a ton of cute designs for these strips of paper and they're only a dollar. Making these stars are very relaxing and while you start off with little, your collection of paper stars grow and grow, each with a different design. So yeah that's what I will be using.

Man I should at least create my own logo.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

llplldll
Regular
Completed: Memento Dears

#37 Post by llplldll »

My company name is nothing exciting, I kinda wish I would have picked something a little more memorable and zingy but... since Im a lone developer its just my initials + soft, so I came up with "pd soft". My initials can form an interesting looking symbol when combined, so that was another motivation for choosing that name.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#38 Post by Destiny »

I didn't? xD
I don't have a team.
And I usually always and everywhere use my artist name "MangaEngel". Simply, because I'm used to that name.
I have my own mascot, I have my own name and that is pretty much it.

The history of that name is even more lame.
Manga is Manga and Engel is german for Angel.
That name happened when I wanted to make a E-Mail-Adress and just remembered that my first manga was about angels.
Ba-Dum-Tsh!
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#39 Post by curry nochi rice »

number of team mates
origin of team mates
ideals of team mates
number of the project

well my current team is name after the Garuda since we're all from SEA. my previous team was named 2059 cause of the project number, and the first one was name Team 4 cause we all had 4 letters in our last names and we were 4 people.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Mad Bat
Regular

#40 Post by Mad Bat »

Mad Bat Productions is actually my third name. Initially, when I was focusing more on (BL) comics than VNs, I called the "team" Elusive Blue because I find blue roses to be beautiful yet had not long before settling on that name researched the fact that they appear to be genetically impossible. I still kind of like the name, but I didn't think it fit as well with the sorts of VNs I intended to release.

Second name was Hollow Gourd. For some reason, when I was trying to come up with something to base the name off of I thought of pumpkins...I liked the sound of it and it wasn't taken, so it stuck. I became disillusioned with it after a while, however.

I think I'll actually stick with Mad Bat Productions for the long haul. This one actually had the most thought put into it, because for the longest I couldn't think of anything. I wanted something catchy and memorable, deciding therefore that it couldn't just be a single word -- no matter how awesome said word might sound -- because I think it's the combination of words that makes names memorable. I also wanted something that had plenty of possibilities for logos. I tried generators, word lists...so many things just fishing for ideas, yet always came up fruitless. Finally I thought to use something important to me, or at least something I have a great interest in. Batman kept popping into my mind, but I couldn't think of anything decent related to that.

...Until I thought of combining Joker and Batman. I was trying to make something out of 'laughing' at first, but I eventually decided it was too long. Then 'mad' came to mind, but I had to roll 'Mad Bat' around for quite a while before I actually decided it was decent.

As a bit of an extra, I believe the image I'm presently using as my avatar may have also subconsciously had something to do with it. As I was busy thinking of crazy bats, an image of one in a straight jacket kept coming to mind. I couldn't for the life of me remember where it came from until after I'd settled on the name. It's actually not a bat, but a Korbat from Neopets. Specifically from a game called Cellblock.

And there you have it! The tl;dr of my presently unknown group's origins. : D
Last edited by Mad Bat on Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#41 Post by mugenjohncel »

Studio Mugenjohncel

Mugenjohncel is actually a compound of three words...

MUGEN
The M.U.G.E.N. Game Engine I used from late 1999/early 2000 until 2004

JOHN
My Nickname back then

CEL
Cell... My First Mugen Character I created for M.U.G.E.N. using sprites ripped by some Brazilian guy from Mugen Fighters Guild with a few snippets of codes borrowed from an existing Cell character made by another Brazilian. It's actually missing the last "L" but after using this handle name for more than a decade... I got used to it so I just leave it like that...

And why Studio Mugenjohncel?... because at the end of the day... I always find myself alone multitasking to accomplish things using every available trick in the book to maximize efficiency and squeeze every once of productivity from my body within the ever shrinking free time available for me... there is no team... just me, I and myself... thus the name Studio Mugenjohncel which accurately describes me ;_;

"POOF" (Disappears)

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#42 Post by Pyonkotchi »

im still thinking of one xD;;

im playing with this thing
http://struct.ca/company-name-generator/
its actually p useful finding ideas O:

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#43 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

azureXtwilight wrote:Kirroha : Yo, sup.
Lumen : Sup, bro.
Kirroha : Let's make a group
Me : What will it's name be?
(Some random suggestion whom I forgot) : Memento Mori
Lumen : Oh, cool
Kirroha : Okay
Kirro suggested the Memento Mori bit. XD
I was the one that keep on suggesting awful names

As for me, Lion Box Studio...

Lion -> My real name means "lion" in German.
Box -> Technically I'm a bit of an outcast so you can say sometimes I live/work in a box everytime I'm alone at home. No, really. It's the "NO ONE SHALL DISTURB ME OR I'LL BREAK YOUR NOSE" sort of isolation.
Studio -> just because "Productions" is a tad too long, and many many many team names have "productions" in the name sooo yeah.

The old name, Harmonica Vitrea Productions... welp "Harmonica Vitrea" means "harmonious glass". I think it's something in relation with Latin poetry or something of the sort.

Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

#44 Post by Helianthus »

I’m somewhat envious of the studios that find quickly an awesome name for themselves ;__;.

At first, I didn’t know what to choose. So I though it would be easier to ask my teammates what they wanted. (As the “leader”, I would only have to approve :P ) Good plan, right ? Except that NOBODY had a single idea.

As a result, I was in charge of finding a name (sometimes being the leader sucks :( ). My whole work being based on the tale of a sleeping girl, very much like the Sleeping Beauty, I though of something like “La fille endormie / Dreaming Girl”. But since I didn’t want something too cheesy, I also though it’ll be refreshing not using English for once. That’s why I used German instead : Träumendes Mädchen.

In the end, I have realized that this name sounded incredibly portentous but it was too late. Now I’m used to hear it and I kinda like it this way…although the umlaut is sometimes a pain to include X').

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#45 Post by fioricca »

... haha what if I said my circle/organisation name was inspired by this thread --

My friend and I decided we needed some sort of circle name (so I could make my tumblr blog anyway), but we were totally stumped on ideas. Then came Trick and the generator that he linked! We played with it for a bit, got some results, and I took a liking to one of them: Storybook Bullet. That eventually became Storybullet, which sounds really cool. :D After some time it became Storybeam, and I loved it as it sounds like a... special skill (hissatsu) attack. Like Kamehameha or something. 8'Da That stuck.

Just to put forward how this thread helped me out. /o/ Now if only we had a proper logo...