Should NaNoRenO allow any type of VN or KN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

What kind of games should be accepted for NaNoRenO?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Ren'ai games only
9%
Ren'ai games or Any VN.
No votes
Ren'ai games or any KN or VN.
91%

Total votes: 22

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

Should NaNoRenO allow any type of VN or KN?

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

NaNoRenO has it's origins here, so I think members of these forums should decide on what should be allowed for NaNoRenO.

Personally I'm divided on the issue. NaNoRenO history is steeped in Ren'ai. And it seems strange to change that now.

But, is this community more of a VN community, or ren'ai community? If the community interest is more about VNs in general than ren'ai specifically (which may be implied from the recent expansion of the RAA's scope), then expanding the scope of NaNoRenO might be a good idea.

What does everyone think?

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2 Post by mugenjohncel »

1 vote for allow all...

Misuzu
Regular

#3 Post by Misuzu »

Coming from working in al|together, the fan translation version of NaNoRenO, I believe it should be open to any type of visual novel/kinetic novel story that can be created in a month. Maybe someday if it gets way to huge you could subdivide it again, but I can't see why you would cut out some people who are interested just because they don't want to write a romance themed story ^^;;. Thats essentially the feeling of al|together. If its a free doujin game, no matter story or length, go for it!

I like that attitude, so I vote for any kind on NaNoRenO too.

absinthe
Regular

#4 Post by absinthe »

I agree with mugenjohncel and Misu; open it up!

I think, too, that the community is very Ren'ai oriented, but that opening it up to other concepts doesn't preclude making romantic games. I mean, most of us are probably planning romantic games anyway, so what does it hurt to allow those who have a different take on things or who aren't mad for a romance plot bunny a shot too?

If it were a competition like the IF Comp (the VN Comp?), I could see having different categories and lots of rules, but since there's no judging, winners, or losers, what does it matter? We're all in this together. :)
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

Hmm. I'm down on the 'open it up!' side of the fence, but crazily, only just. I mean... the romantic aspect was never that big a draw for me, so I like the idea of seeing more non-romantic games; on the other hand, though, I like the idea of NaNoRenO as a personal challenge, and expanding into areas I wouldn't normally touch is also a challenge.

Still, current plans are for an 'unconventional romance comedy' - or some such - for this year, so... well. Kind of going against the idea that I should go against the things I'd normally go for. Or something?

Oh, I don't know. I guess my reasoning doesn't fit for most of the people on this forum who are far more ready to use principally-romantic plots in the first place anyway
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#6 Post by yummy »

Well, I don't plan on participating the NaNoRenO but it would seem sad to restrict to only one Visual Novel genre.

I agree that it might be less challenging but it could release considerable amounts of imagination power. After all, every one has its writing style, particular field and own culture.

I think this event is something you could call a "from brainstorming to realisation" session, so it would be unfair if some people came up with innovative ideas but couldn't produce them because of such a restriction.

Personnally, I'm wondering about what piece of work will be released. Not its special genre :D

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#7 Post by mikey »

I would be happy if all the games were ren'ai, frankly without that it's not really my thing.

But I voted for "open to all", since it's the current development and it's not really bad or anything. In the end, it would end in example like this: 4 ren'ai games in April with the current NaNoRenO rules, and 4 ren'ai games a 3 non-ren'ai VNs with "open" NaNoRenO rules. The amount of ren'ai games wouldn't be smaller.

So that's that - let's have an open NaNoRenO.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Well, perhaps its permature to say, but it looks like the vast majority want to expand NaNoRenO.

It's already been discussed how NaNoRenO doesn't have a real... etymology? Well, it we expand NaNoRenO's scope, it will only become more of a misnomer.

I'm not really proposing, but simply bringing up, the idea for a new name for the challenge. Something like... InViNoWriMo- international visual novel writing month... doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but you get the idea.

Of course, I don't mind keeping it as NaNoRenO- NaNoWriMo hasn't changed their name even though it's now an international event.

Jake
Support Hero

#9 Post by Jake »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Something like... InViNoWriMo- international visual novel writing month... doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, but you get the idea.
"ViNoWriMo" is easy to say, though - it's not like the 'Na' in 'NaNo...' events is really strictly adhered to, like... ever.

Month for writing about wine...? ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

absinthe
Regular

#10 Post by absinthe »

I like ViNoWriMo, but I like NaNoRenO fine too.

I vote we stick with NaNoRenO; it rolls off the tongue, evokes the spirit of NaNo, and I think the story behind it (that it doesn't really mean anything) is cute.
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

pheriannath
Regular

#11 Post by pheriannath »

While I enjoy reading ren'ai, I find myself hard-pressed to come up with a ren'ai plot myself. I'd want the freedom to submit any kind of VN or KN. At the moment it looks like I lack the skills to make a proper submission this round, but still...if NaNoRenO was opened up, there would be more entries to read :)

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

I had wanted to wait a while longer, but it's probably better to give as much notice as possible to those who would like to make a non-ren'ai VN/KN. And so....
With a 94% vote to allow all KNs and VNs, NaNoRenO has now opened to all KNs and VNs!

pheriannath
Regular

#13 Post by pheriannath »

:D
w00t! Banzai! Banzai!
I can join! (and very probably disgrace myself in the process, too :p)

Shii
Regular

#14 Post by Shii »

Isn't "NaNoRenO" a silly name since it no longer has anything to do with ren'ai? Besides we have "NaViNoWriMo" which works.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#15 Post by mikey »

Shii wrote:Isn't "NaNoRenO" a silly name since it no longer has anything to do with ren'ai? Besides we have "NaViNoWriMo" which works.
Well, such is the force of habit - it's not logical, doesn't mean anything, but it's been a symbol for over 2 years, it's hard to let go. Mind you, we had IntRenAiMo - International Ren'Ai Month, which was sort of a different version of NaNoRenO with looser rules, but it's kind of always been NaNoRenO. :?