Character Developement: A FtM character in a BxB VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
raegun
Projects: Winterblood

Character Developement: A FtM character in a BxB VN?

#1 Post by raegun »

I am making this topic because I've been considering making one of my characters transgender. I myself identify as transgender so I wanted to sort of... put a little representation in it since it's a very hard to find character type. And it wouldn't be a parody or a stereotype but an honest to goodness transgender character.

How would you as an audience react to that? I think, personally it would be a very good thing to mix in. I wouldn't put a ton of emphasis on it- just a "by the way, his birth name was such-and-such" and learning a little more about his struggles as a child would be part of his character path.

I hope this was the right section to post in...

Thank you for your feedback.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

Re: Character Developement: A FtM character in a BxB VN?

#2 Post by KittyKatStar »

How would you as an audience react to that?

I would love it. To me, I always think character first, gender second. (Just how I think. ^^; ) Female, male, transgender, bi, gay, straight, ace, as long as the character is fleshed out and well-developed, I will enjoy learning about that person and his/her struggles, goals, dis/likes, quirks etc.

And I'm definitely interested in a "honest to goodness" character.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#3 Post by Blane Doyle »

I would LOVE that personally. Mostly because I don't think I have read a VN where a transgender character was around, obtainable or not, and it would be something unique.

I know at least a couple other people would appreciate someone taking this opportunity. Since you identify as transgender I think this has a better chance of being in good hands then it would otherwise, and the fact you won't really put too much emphasis on it makes me intrigued and happy. Acknowledging they are transgender is one thing, making it stand out too much or having that be their only real trait is another after all.

I may be slightly biased since close friends of mine are gender queer or in the process of looking into what they have to do in order to change genders, but I say go for it. It's something I would love to see, especially from someone who has personal experience.

(and as I have stated before, I adore interesting characters. This promises interesting for me.)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#4 Post by Funnyguts »

Do it. If anyone complains that it's not real yaoi or something ignore them.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#5 Post by Hijiri »

Funnyguts wrote:Do it. If anyone complains that it's not real yaoi or something ignore them.
Basically this.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#6 Post by Blane Doyle »

Hijiri wrote:
Funnyguts wrote:Do it. If anyone complains that it's not real yaoi or something ignore them.
Basically this.
I third this, naturally. 8|
It's different, it's interesting, it is still a guy. Go for it.

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#7 Post by Cidz »

Go for it! It would be nice to see more honest interpetations of a transgender, the media isn't too kindly to them. :(

I, myself, want to write a story about a transgender someday, I just haven't thought up an idea yet.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

KittyKatStar wrote:...as long as the character is fleshed out and well-developed, I will enjoy learning about that person and his/her struggles, goals, dis/likes, quirks etc.
Agreed. It should not matter whether the FtM character is a friend, an enemy, a mentor, a student, etc... No matter what situation, point of view, or pairings are involved, characterization is what matters most. Strive to portray this person as something more than one of 3 to 5 potential love interests.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#9 Post by Deji »

I think it's a great idea! I never get to see/read trans* people in the media I consume and I don't know any irl, and I'd definitely would like to know more about them and their struggles (:

I don't know if you read it, but Transformation Sequence (sadly still without visuals) is a MtFxB where the main character is struggling with their sexuality. I really enjoyed reading it, because it showed me something I didn't know and kind of... opened up my view of the world a bit?
If only to show unaware people (like me) about the realities of others and to help people identify themselves in the media they consume, I say go for it! :D

And of course, like everybody said, ignore the complainers ;)
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

neowired
Regular

#10 Post by neowired »

I think it depends more on how well you write the characters and how likable and easy to relate they will be. If you can construct your story in such a way that people will be able to connect with your characters despite their unusual qualities, then people will like it.

Write it in a non-judgmental way and make all your characters be like real people.
Check out Hourou musuko manga, I think it has a mastery of this.

QofDust
Projects: New Year's Eve

#11 Post by QofDust »

Like everyone else so far I think a well written tg character would be a welcome thing to read about. I especially liked what KittyKatStar said about "character first and gender second." That is very much the way I write.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#12 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I thought I would throw my hat in and say pretty much what everyone else has been saying, go for it. I would be worried about writing such a character myself, but I think that the more people see characters from all different walks of life and all different shades of sexuality the more they will find themselves accepting people in real life.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#13 Post by Destiny »

Definitly do it.
I truly think, that some themes should be definitly done by those that are in it to avoid the character getting ironic, unwanted funny or something.

Please make it :9
People that nag about it shoud think hard about themselfs.
I mean, Yaoi has bishonen that look like woman with penis and no breasts. If they like that, then I shall facepalm when they seriously are against something this exotic and brave inside a game (because I know maybe three to five transgender characters in games)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#14 Post by Omnificent »

You could be groundbreaking, especially if you actually do it right/not just for the sake of a gimmick. Go for it.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!