[Resolved] Misappropriation of my Work

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: Statement on vNovel Interactive Misappropriation of my W

#16 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I'm really fuzzy about whose works they are claiming as their own, and who they really are associated with.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Tetiel
Regular
Projects: Anton's Vacation EP 1 and 2 + Rising Angels (CGs/Character Selection), Katajion Kinetic Monthly (character sprites)

Re: Statement on vNovel Interactive Misappropriation of my W

#17 Post by Tetiel »

It looks like they finally put the title page as Moonlit Walks plus added this at the bottom:
"The content of Moonlit Walks is available here under an open license."
linking to this page:
http://vnovel.info/moonlight/license.htm

It looks like they've gotten permission from/worked with at least some of the creators from the other games, from what I've seen. No bloody idea why they decided to blow off dealing with yours properly. Plus, I'm pretty sure it's clear they saw this thread, saw that there's a group with a similar name and took the opportunity to go after them. Congrats on antagonizing the community, I guess?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: [Resolved] Misappropriation of my Work

#18 Post by PyTom »

After quite a bit of email, things have been resolved to my satisfaction. They didn't need to ask my permission to make a work based on Moonlight Walks - all they had to do was to use it in accordance with the terms of the license, by including the license and changing the title. Now that they're doing so, there isn't a problem with their continued distribution of the game.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom