Kickstarter Reward Ideas

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Kickstarter Reward Ideas

#1 Post by Obscura »

Hey guys, as my Kickstarter launch approaches, I want to know if you have any ideas for rewards that could be used for a visual novel project. There are lots of creative people here--give me your ideas.

I've looked at quite a few projects and I've actually got a reward ladder prepared with some interesting stuff, but if you have any cool reward ideas I'd appreciate it. I'd like to think that whether or not my VN gets funded, it will be a nice learning experience for anybody else want to crowd-fund their VN. If my KS succeeds, I'll have plenty of tips for you on what to do :lol: If my KS fails, I'll have plenty of tips on what not to do. :lol: Either way, this whole process has been immensely fascinating and enjoyable. (*she said overconfidently, during the pre-ulcer stage*)

And just think, if it succeeds I'll probably have a closed forum elsewhere for the development of my game, so you can take a year-long break from me and my parade of nude men. :lol:

(If this is non-VN related, sorry, you can delete this. I'm just thinking I can't be the only VN who's doing the crowd funding thing at the moment, right? Thanks guys.)
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

EldaTaluta

Re: Kickstarter Reward Ideas

#2 Post by EldaTaluta »

If I were going to run a kickstarter for a VN, I think I would like one of the middle-upper range prizes to be some short prequel stories. Or perhaps an art book of some kind. Maybe a calendar? Of course, that's just me.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by CheeryMoya »

At $50K, you will add an extra Graham route. You know, for fanservice.

I've seen Kickstarters offer prints and stuff to the donors, and even let them add in material to the project. How about you list what you were planning to do already so we don't reiterate ourselves though?

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Obscura »

@Elda--oooh, thanks, I like the calendar idea! Prequel stories...that's really a creative idea.

@Cheery--Well, nothing's set in stone yet, but I actually am shying away from physical rewards because there's just me. You know, with my two arms. Even the cafepress stuff (where they do everything for you), I get worried about because I am hesitant to deal with shipping/product-related mistakes and problems.

Am I underestimating how much people like physical swag?

So...here's what I have so far, minus or plus $5 or so. As you're probably aware of, each higher tier will encompass the lower tier rewards.

$10 for the game

$15 for the game + original soundtrack (done by an actual composer!)

$20 or $25? for game + forum access + pdf book on deleted scenes, art, and other quirky game-related stuff

$50 for brofinder/babefinder profile. You can make it up or it can be your actual profile. (will look like a grindr-type profile). This will be either in the game as a "fake app" that can be pulled up or in the credits section as a "fake app". Not sure which one. If it's in the game, it won't be usable, which is the problem, since I can see people trying to communicate with themselves via Mark.

$100 for something physical. I dunno what though, but I want it to be special.

idea I'm throwing around: $250-500??? and I'll do a full sprite of you in the style of the game art...to take another character's place, of your choosing. Only you will receive a copy of this game version. CGs, unfortunately, do not apply, unless you're crazy and rich and can pay the CG artist.

$500 or more? (3 spots) your in the game as one of Jed's band members with a cameo. You'll also help vote on a band name and logo. You'll also get a CD with the game music, game, and an album cover insert with your visage.

That's all I can think of for now.

Other stuff I've thought of: university hoodie, university ID card.

Edit:

At 50K I'll make you a 12-part series called "Graham's Research"
website

EldaTaluta

#5 Post by EldaTaluta »

Perhaps t-shirts for the something physical? I'm given to understand that they're comparatively easy, and who doesn't like t-shirts? To be honest, I don't really know much about the t-shirt making business. Just some food for thought, I guess.

junna
Veteran
Projects: DreamWalker; History; Adversity Competition

#6 Post by junna »

psst: I'd say 20 or 25 for game+soundtrack is cool. Seriously.
chibi avvie by Meg (buprettyinpink).
WIP=>Image
Image<=helping out

CosmicKitty
Regular
Projects: Patchwork Battles, Time Stones

#7 Post by CosmicKitty »

I was under the impression the main purpose of kickstarter now was to presale a game? Besides that, you can always offer plushies of some of your characters if you happen to know a seamstress.
Completed Games:
Holiday Hijinks: House on Haunted Hill
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=17849

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done,
we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change.
So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger,
but in wisdom, understanding and love.
Jennifer Edwards

Aedin
Regular

#8 Post by Aedin »

CheeryMoya wrote:At $50K, you will add an extra Graham route. You know, for fanservice.
YESYESYES.

Seriously though, I think your set is pretty sufficient. It's really compelling.
"There’s no shame in pleasure, Mr. Gray. You see, man just wants to be happy, but society wants him to be good. And when he’s good, man is rarely happy, and when he’s happy he is always good."

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#9 Post by Greeny »

For $10 000, you will hire an actor to portray one of the characters and spend a day with the backer!
For $11 000, you will hire an actor to portray one of the characters and spend a sexy day with the backer!
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Obscura »

You guys are hilarious. Thanks.
CosmicKitty wrote:I was under the impression the main purpose of kickstarter now was to presale a game? Besides that, you can always offer plushies of some of your characters if you happen to know a seamstress.
I dunno what the main purpose of Kickstarter is for most people, but I do know yes, many people are using it to sell/market a game they've just about completed. I still think the majority of games, however, are still beginning development.

So yeah, $10 is to presell it. I don't know what the retail would be. It would depend on assets, but I think it would be $15.

I looked up some manufacturers for plushies...I need like 10,000 orders or something for them to even consider it, LOL. I don't know any seamstresses, but I do know I really wanted to make a bunch of plushy penis dolls with cute googly faces representing each of the male characters. It sounds like a lot of labor though, so probably not going to be a reward, unless it's really high up the ladder and be exclusive? Maybe I should try looking at etsy fro someone willing to do this?

*edit:
Wow, $1000 for added sexy? LMAO
website

CosmicKitty
Regular
Projects: Patchwork Battles, Time Stones

#11 Post by CosmicKitty »

they're actually not all that hard to make if you have any sewing skills. I've debated it for some of our projects. there are several tutorials on DA, besides that you'd be better off finding an independent person to make them on a smaller scale I'd think :)

not gonna lie, I think i'd buy a stuffed penis doll :P
Completed Games:
Holiday Hijinks: House on Haunted Hill
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=17849

The beauty of life is, while we cannot undo what is done,
we can see it, understand it, learn from it and change.
So that every new moment is spent not in regret, guilt, fear or anger,
but in wisdom, understanding and love.
Jennifer Edwards

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#12 Post by wakagana »

$15,000 buys a video of you dancing to [youtube]BiAwpYIkRmU#t=26s[/youtube]

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#13 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I don't know if anyone has said it already, but an upper tier donation could be a character of the donators design (or to see themself in the game). OR a side character with their name?
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Obscura »

CosmicKitty wrote:they're actually not all that hard to make if you have any sewing skills. I've debated it for some of our projects. there are several tutorials on DA, besides that you'd be better off finding an independent person to make them on a smaller scale I'd think :)

not gonna lie, I think i'd buy a stuffed penis doll :P
I'm talking to someone right now about handcrafting some penis dolls. She suggested the Alex one could have little glasses, LOL. I even sent them a sketch. Depending on the pricing structure, it might be a nice incentive for people. Otherwise, they'd still make a nice "thank you" to some higher tier people.

@ Wakagana

Haha, I'd do that shit for free and nobody wants to see me do it, trust me.

@ Crystal

Yeah, I'm think I'm gonna put three people in Jed's band if there are any takers. I was also thinking maybe making a sprite of a backer and they could choose to be the main character (or redesign him) or replace any of the other sprites in the game. (And that would be their personal copy.)

At this point I don't know how many additional side characters I'll need...I like to make them and change them at a second's notice though, so I'd feel too tied down if I made them backers.

Also, where have you been? I don't hear nearly as many updates anymore about Club Shuffle.
website

Myra
Regular

#15 Post by Myra »

I didn't read the whole thing so these could have already been discussed but:

A slightly higher tier with only one slot or the like could be allowing someone to name the main char what they want (within reason of course).

I like a lot of the ideas you've already listed though, some of them are quite interesting.