Opinions on tragedy

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
QofDust
Projects: New Year's Eve

Opinions on tragedy

#1 Post by QofDust »

Hi. I'm brand new to these forums, and to writing visual novels in general. Usually when I write something there is one true ending, and one true path the characters can follow to get there. There are a million things that could happen, but the real trick is to write the one that is the most honest, the most true. Sometimes the story ends tragically, and no matter how attached to to my heroines or heroes I am the only honest ending is a sad one.

I'm somewhere near halfway done writing my first VN, and it's starting to feel tragic. So, on to my question at long last.

In a genre that features multiple endings is it important to have at least one happy ending?

Thanks

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Opinions on tragedy

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

QofDust wrote:In a genre that features multiple endings is it important to have at least one happy ending?
Absolutely not. If the whole purpose of a story is tragedy, then why should there be happy endings?

Look at my "The Dreaming". Six endings, one of them looks optimistic, until the true ending reveals that is really not. In fact, the true ending leads to what's probably the most tragic revelation in the entire plot.

Also, if the protagonist of your story is a broken person to begin with, a happy ending may also be inappropriate. Imagine a James Bond VN where you're not Bond but the villain whose plan is to blow up the world. If you fail, Bond kills you. If you succeed, Earth is blown into smithereens. I would hesitate to call either a happy ending.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#3 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

No, not really. You are telling a story, are you not? The main point is that the endings, or at least some of the endings, are fulfilling. They can be sad, happy, tragic, pose a questions, solve a problem, anything that serves the story. The main idea is to give the player a sense of gratification when they finish. It's not always closure since sometimes you leave them with a question, but overall they should feel like everything came to a climax and they feel it resolved within their minds. I say go for it.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

It certainly isn't required to have at least one happy ending - but depending on genre expectations you may have a lot of angry players complaining about it.

Film noir, say, is notorious for having tragic endings. A game which strongly draws on noir aesthetics, players should really not be expecting a great outcome. But a game which looks like a fluffy romantic story and every single ending ends up in horrible broken despair? People are going to be angry with you.

Warning, TVTropes link coming - Be careful about the possibility of Shooting the Shaggy Dog. You probably do not want people getting to the end of your big story and being enraged by the miserable pointlessness of it all. Particularly if you have multiple endings that are difficult to achieve so players have been sinking time and effort into exploring your world and trying to make things better, only to be slapped down.

The shorter the game is, the easier it is to get away with all endings being bad.

Greeny
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Loop, The Madness
Projects: In Orbit, TBA
Organization: Gliese Productions

#5 Post by Greeny »

I strongly believe the reader should get a satisfying ending no matter what ending they end up with. Does that mean it has to be happy? No. But I'm very opposed to the idea of "true endings": The reader spends all that time invested in the story only to get told that they didn't get the 'best ending' and have to start over to get the full conclusion of the story. It disconnects the reader from their immersion.
In Orbit [WIP] | Gliese is now doing weekly erratic VN reviews! The latest: Halloween Otome!
Gliese Productions | Facebook | Twitter

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#6 Post by dramspringfeald »

Go for it man. This is the new age of Digital Entertainment. People keep thinking that this medium should be for fun and light-hearted when really this medium is just like any movie, drawing or Opera show. Use this medium to convey what you want it to. As long as you don't make the project simply "what hell can we subject the characters/players to today" then good on you.

Again, Go for it. We need games that aren't afraid to leave us with questions and food for thought.

My projects so far don't have a happy ending, maybe bitter sweat but there are no happy endings.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

QofDust
Projects: New Year's Eve

#7 Post by QofDust »

Thank you all for your input. I got something helpful from each one. (and that doesn't happen much on the internet) I think I've figured out that rarest of solutions that let's me have it all. I'm really happy with it. Skeletal though it may be. So thank you again.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#8 Post by Omnificent »

Depends on what tone you're intending to go for. If you're intending for it to be a repeated emotional punch to the gut, go full-hog. If you want the lasting impression to be more lighthearted, reexamine.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »