A facebook for your game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

A facebook for your game?

#1 Post by SelLi »

As you may know, I'm currently making a VN, and I was thinking that after I do a little bit more art for it and more work in general, that I should make a facebook account for the game itself.
I think that it could spread awareness of the game while I develop it, so that when it's time to sell it, more people would know about it.

I'm sorry if there is another thread similar to this one- if there is, please direct me to the thread and feel free to delete this one or whathaveyou.

What are your thoughts on development facebook pages or blogs? I don't know quite what I'm doing. :)

CeruleanMermaid
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi
Organization: Oceanic Eden

Re: A facebook for your game?

#2 Post by CeruleanMermaid »

I think making a development blog for your game is a good idea. It helps to raise awareness, and it's easier to show progress.

However I'm not to sure about it being on facebook... Is there a reason why you want it to be on facebook? Personally I think making a tumblr or wordpress/blogspot would be better.

I recently made a tumblr for my visual novel, and it's been working pretty good so far. So I'd say go for it :)

SelLi
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Silent Column Demo, Memory Mage
Projects: The Silent Column, A Lily from the Lightless Water, A Castle on an Island
Deviantart: SelLillianna
itch: SelLillianna

#3 Post by SelLi »

And I suppose I mentioned facebook because I'm not familiar with much else. ^^;
I've never used Tumblr before bu I suppose I could try it. :)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by CheeryMoya »

I don't advise making your primary development blog on tumblr. Yesterday the site went down for... 6 hours? It was pretty hellish.

You should chose a more stable blog service like WordPress or Blogspot to host your main devblog, and branch out to tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, etc. for marketing purposes. Having a blog/website to call your own is pretty neat and important if you want people to play your games, especially outside LSF.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I... strongly dislike Facebook so we aren't on it at the moment. We do have a number of twitter and Tumblr accounts (one each personal and a more central one), a blog (Wordpress) and a Website + Forum.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#6 Post by jack_norton »

I have Facebook page, it's "OK", but you need to remember that even 1000 likes on FB doesn't really mean much. I have posterous that autoposts on my wordpress blog on my own winterwolves.net site, it works nice since is also a sort of backup :)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#7 Post by fioricca »

I'm also more on Tumblr myself, to be honest. Wait -- I wasn't aware that other people in this forum are posting their project updates on Tumblr as well. WHAT ARE THEY, GIVE THEM TO ME and let me stalk y'all out /o\

For the record, mine is storybeam! Everything I post there is pretty much the same as what I post on my Dolls WIP thread -- except for the most recent flat, I thought there'd be no sense in posting that on tumblr since the linearts are up. |D
CheeryMoya wrote:I don't advise making your primary development blog on tumblr. Yesterday the site went down for... 6 hours? It was pretty hellish.

You should chose a more stable blog service like WordPress or Blogspot to host your main devblog, and branch out to tumblr, Twitter, Facebook, etc. for marketing purposes. Having a blog/website to call your own is pretty neat and important if you want people to play your games, especially outside LSF.
I've been considering getting a Wordpress/Blogspot for a while (where are most of you on?), b-but I'm terrible at updating blogs )': I don't really know what to say. It's so much easier to simply post screenshots/image WIP updates using services like Tumblr, despite how iffy it can be from time to time.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by CheeryMoya »

fioricca wrote:I'm also more on Tumblr myself, to be honest. Wait -- I wasn't aware that other people in this forum are posting their project updates on Tumblr as well. WHAT ARE THEY, GIVE THEM TO ME and let me stalk y'all out /o\
You do not want to follow my personal. Even if you find it, you still do not want to follow me.
Meanwhile here's the TTG tumblr :3 I better find a better theme since I keep recommending Effector to everyone >_>
I've been considering getting a Wordpress/Blogspot for a while (where are most of you on?), b-but I'm terrible at updating blogs )': I don't really know what to say. It's so much easier to simply post screenshots/image WIP updates using services like Tumblr, despite how iffy it can be from time to time.
I think most of us are split between WP and Blgospot, though WP lets you make a more static site with a blog section. I'm not sure if Blogspot lets you do that, but WP's pretty darn easy to use. I could go on and on about how many options you have, but why not go here~? *shot up mercilessly and thrown into a ditch*

Mirage
Veteran

#9 Post by Mirage »

I once got myself a wordpress blog and it got hacked lol! I got rid of it and now actively post stuff on Tumblr and it works pretty well thus far.
I hate Facebook too. It has a lot of people asking for "Where can I get free downloads?" "What, why do I need to pay, you greedy people!"...These type of immature comments came very often, so I rarely update on my FB anymore. That page made me grief.

bunbun
Regular

#10 Post by bunbun »

I think facebook is freaky personally for how you can log in your facebook account on almost every sites now a days.
As a person who don't use facebook, I'm curious how much benefit facebook can do on advertising.

I have a WIP "blog" on tumblr, as I thought it works really well with people helping to advertise. They can search for tags too to discover for your blog.
Reblogs are very helpful!

I prefer tumblr than wordpress/blogspot for the reblogs basically, but I think normal blogs are way neater and easier to customize. ^^

oh yeah and does anyone update their game wips on twitter? '_'
WIPS

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#11 Post by Obscura »

ZaisConsultant wrote:As you may know, I'm currently making a VN, and I was thinking that after I do a little bit more art for it and more work in general, that I should make a facebook account for the game itself.
I think that it could spread awareness of the game while I develop it, so that when it's time to sell it, more people would know about it.

I'm sorry if there is another thread similar to this one- if there is, please direct me to the thread and feel free to delete this one or whathaveyou.

What are your thoughts on development facebook pages or blogs? I don't know quite what I'm doing. :)
I've slowly added more and more blogs/social networking stuff over the past couple of months. At the moment, my game has a blogspot, Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook. My eyesore of a blog needs a massive overhaul, but I have it low on my priority list right now to change it. Ive also posted to some large sites (Reddit). I would have tried promoting through my game via Deviant Art except I'm unclear on their policies towards adult material, so I didn't.

It takes a good chunk of time updating these places. On the other hand, all of them have been really helpful in spreading word about my game.

If you've got good art to show, I'd recommend posting it wherever you can. Even if the art isn't very good, negative feedback or the lack of feedback will still let you know you might need to change something up. By posting early, you can also gauge early on how much interest there will be in your game.

I'd say Tumblr or DA is probably your best bet if you've got a lot of art to post. I only recently opened a Facebook account, but it's led to a sizable number of contributors and fans.

Of course, take this all with a grain of salt. I'm sure in terms of marketing there are many, many mistakes I've made and more to be made. :roll: But in any case, I am genuinely a fan of anybody who is a fan of my work, and I love talking to people (even people who hate what I'm doing) so this particular style of multiple blogging works for me. The only thing I'm sad about right now is I can't spend as much time shooting the sh*t when I have so many sites to update.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#12 Post by nyaatrap »

I have some accounts on social networking to look at others, but I'm just hiding myself. Because they took my time away and distract game development. I have my personal blog and people can contact to me thorough there.
However, I need to do some advertising when I sell my game, but I have some other plans. So i don't feel enough practicality to use them (But if it's fun for you, go ahead. Fun is enough reason to use it)
Make your blog. it's not difficult, and the second best next to having your own site.