How Do You Keep Track of Tasks During Game Development?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

Re: How Do You Keep Track of Tasks During Game Development?

#16 Post by ShippoK »

Keeping track of things...? I didn't know that would be possible to do.

I tend to let the story flow on it's own and marking over some of the important parts I want to keep or remove.
For the small reminder stuff, I keep a bunch of Text Documents just in case I forget something important.

(I should probably get in the habit or using spreadsheets but I always forget...)
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#17 Post by Arowana »

Yeah, keeping track of things, what is this? ;P

I'm pretty terrible when I'm working by myself. Whenever I have a thought, I'll write it down in the nearest open application - the tasks list on Gmail, a sticky note on my desktop, whatever Word document I'm currently typing in - so I won't forget. Then I have to go digging through everything later to figure out where my notes are. ^^;

If I'm working with someone else, I try to be more organized by using Google Docs or, more recently, Dropbox. After my computer crashed a couple months ago, though, I've been trying to work off Dropbox more and more (or at least back up all my files obsessively).
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

RangerDanger
Regular

#18 Post by RangerDanger »

I actually use something a bit different than most, it seems.

I use a multi-user online bulletin board site called Trello. It has been quite fantastic so far, allowing us to group related tasks, maintain todo lists on every task, and assign people to tasks, as well as set due dates and such.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#19 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I've recently switched to using EverNote to keep track of ideas, general plot, and even the actual dialogue.
Being able to edit the same files regardless of being on PC, iPad or iPhone is great, and lowers the chances of having information in 20 different places.

My story will have arcs that happen alongside the main story. Having arcs makes it a bit easier to keep things organised. So far, just using written documents has been fine.

Edit: Switched to google docs after all. It's still easy to use on multiple devices, but the layout makes it much cleaner than Evernote, and it's incredibly easy to share documents or folders with other people.

I've been using an iPad app called PureFlow to keep track of the plot through a flowchart, but I don't feel comfortable with it, as it's already starting to have problems loading the monstrous flowchart. It's 16cm x 5m now, and still a lot more to do.
I really hope I can find something more presentable and reliable that won't cost the earth.
Last edited by TrickWithAKnife on Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#20 Post by dramspringfeald »

I've found Post-it notes, 3x5 cards, a Small notebook and an Audio recorder are my best friends when it comes to Ideas and keeping in line.

Roll over, tap record and just talk. If I'm in the shower I've been known to hop out and write it on the mirror or on a stack of 3x5 cards next to the john. I also keep a spiral notebook both in small and large format as well as some 3x5's next to me bed.

When I get done I toss them into the drawer and collect them when I get up or when I'm ready to collect my ideas. The Ideas I like go into the Green card bin and the ones I don't go into the Blue "vault bin" to live there until I hit a writing or drawing block.

Every few months I'll transcribe the notes onto my computer in the "Documents/Projects" folder and email them to myself.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#21 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

I don't know that it helps me keep track of tasks very well, but I just write lots and lots of obsessive notes in OpenOffice.

I'll have:
- One document for general notes, stream of ideas about the project.
- I'll have one outline document for putting events and story plots in sequential order.
- I'll have one document for character profiles and background info.
- I'll have one document for dialogue and scenes that I felt compelled to write immediately but that are out of order.
- Then one document that is the actual branching "final" script, built slowly and sequentially while referencing the other documents.

Oh, and lots and lots of loose sheets of folded notebook paper stacked on my desk where I write down ideas at work. (Job security is being the only one who knows how to do your job. It lets you do things like write notes at work in front of the boss with no repercussions. ::thumbs up:: My boss lives in mortal fear that I won't come in one day and he'll have to cover my position himself.)

TeeGee
Regular
Completed: Solstice, Cinders, Co-Op, Magi, Phantasmat
Projects: Bonfire
Organization: MoaCube
Tumblr: moacube

#22 Post by TeeGee »

I used several task tracking methods back when I was working in game development -- from MS Project, to keeping a wiki, to Trello. But I got back to keeping simple todo lists on a closed forums when I went indie. Simple, easy to read, takes little time to write, and is available online to all team members.

In the end, it doesn't matter what method you are using, as long as it works for you and your team.
Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#23 Post by Blane Doyle »

I used to just use DropBox to hold all my text files with one ToDo list in it.
That... is surprisingly inefficient for me, probably because it is so simple that it can actually get confusing and because I would spend so much time away from the computer hahahaha, yeah, I got nothing done. I would also forget to edit that list so I ended up doing things more than once sometimes.

Now, I have taken to keeping my phone on me at all times, usually leaving it plugged in next to me or on the lowest setting for max battery life when I am away from my computer. This way, even if I don't have access to my computer, I can still access my files (all uploaded to DropBox for the moment, but I am looking into moving to Google Drive or SugarSync) and look at what I need with mobile data or WiFi. But if that is out then I am out of luck. I always have a pad of paper and pen on me so I can dictate what I have written later on if the battery dies too.

I have a very handy app on my phone that is basically one giant ToDo list. I finish a task, I mark it out. Simple as that. Need to do something else, add it in. I use it for everything from "get new backgrounds" to "figure out how to rewrite scene" to "I hate this thing and I am making note of it for future reference do not use it". Every task I mark out remains on the list with a dash through it so I know what I have done as well. I add EVERYTHING to this. It is my sole go to thing for task tracking. The actual writing process may be bunk (convoluted, will not explain) but this works exceptionally well for me, as even though my organization is ridiculous I can actually get stuff done now.

When I remember to open it. It takes me 5 seconds to use this app properly, why don't I remember to open it?

pineapplepocky
Regular

#24 Post by pineapplepocky »

I have a google drive full of documents and work and stuff. But it all comes down to keeping people working when it's with a group, so we have bimonthly google+ hangouts set up for everyone to talk about it too. I use google spreadsheets, my planner, and digital calendar.

Visual Novel Project: Destiny Limit --> http://www.destinylimit.net/
(facebook: http://www.facebook.com/destinylimitgame)

deviantart: http://pineapple-pocky.deviantart.com/ (and open for commissions)
blog: http://www.jackieloart.com/blog/

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#25 Post by Morhighan »

I use yED and google drive. I put small details in yED and let it organize stuff for me. It helps me "see" branches way easier.
Example of my VN Aidol:

Google drive is really nice because I don't lose stuff when computer issues occur, and between documents and spreadsheets, I'm set. : D

Ispheria
Regular
Projects: TruEndings

#26 Post by Ispheria »

I use Twine to make my flowchart sort of things, though i'm not sure if i should be posting because i'm still working on my first vn >.< but yeah, i use Twine. i don't use google docs because i'm not always connected to the internet

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

#27 Post by fullmontis »

I have been using free mind for the longest time now. Then about two months ago I discovered org mode and it changed my life. It requires emacs so the entry level is a little bit too much for most people but I would still recommend it to anyone with some patience, it's worth it . It works as a log, an agenda, a task tracker and a document formatter all bundled with the power and adaptability of emacs. I use it for everything now, from projects to personal log to blogging.
Last edited by fullmontis on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sakai
Regular
Projects: Ragged Heart
Organization: Afterthought Studios

#28 Post by Sakai »

Good ol' notebook never failed me. When me or my team mates are done with the task I use a highlighter to cross it out or I simply tick it off. I always have it with me when working on my game