NanoReno - 2013

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: NanoReno - 2013

#16 Post by CheeryMoya »

Geckos wrote:That still leaves the one question unanswered: Is there usually one big place where people can offer their skills?
You essentially created that place with this thread >_> The NaNo WIP subforum is exactly what it says on the tin, and NaNo is a once a year event so it wouldn't be practical for the mods to open another subforum for NaNo discussion. In other words, everything that's general NaNo talk will go here. You could start putting up threads in the Recruitment board and tag it [NaNo13] or something like that so people know where to find you.
Geckos wrote:I will be experimenting wildly with body types and style for funsies.
I like to think that NaNo is the perfect time to test experimental ideas/styles instead of going for the same old stuff, where's the fun in that?

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#17 Post by sake-bento »

Geckos wrote:I see.

That still leaves the one question unanswered: Is there usually one big place where people can offer their skills?

I would like to wait till the 1st day of it to start work on the thing; it just seems more fun that way. Hopefully I can find a small team to work with, they just need to be aware that I will be experimenting wildly with body types and style for funsies.
NaNo's pretty informal, so feel free to post in this very thread looking for buddies or pop over to Recruitment.

And I always thought using premade stuff was okay? I remember one year, a group released a NaNo game on day one made entirely with premade material, including the writing. The entire script was lifted from Shakespeare (Midsummer, if I recall correctly).

Taosym
Veteran
Projects: http://lupiesoft.com/
Organization: Lupiesoft

#18 Post by Taosym »

sake-bento wrote:
Geckos wrote:I see.

That still leaves the one question unanswered: Is there usually one big place where people can offer their skills?

I would like to wait till the 1st day of it to start work on the thing; it just seems more fun that way. Hopefully I can find a small team to work with, they just need to be aware that I will be experimenting wildly with body types and style for funsies.
NaNo's pretty informal, so feel free to post in this very thread looking for buddies or pop over to Recruitment.

And I always thought using premade stuff was okay? I remember one year, a group released a NaNo game on day one made entirely with premade material, including the writing. The entire script was lifted from Shakespeare (Midsummer, if I recall correctly).
I believe that the only material you should use are things that are creative commons resources like music. I think that you could use all CC stuff, but that'd defeat the purpose. I guess the real idea is to make something in a strict limit of time.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#19 Post by Geckos »

@Cheerymoya
Guess so! I suppose I'll go edit my post a bit for some specifics.

I also agree on the experimenting heh. One month to make a game lends itself to it!
Image ImageImage

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#20 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

As far as I'm concerned the whole point of Nanoreno is to finish a game and get over the usual problems such as procrastination and feature creep by giving you a deadline. The challenge is what you make of it. Some people try to do everything on your own, some experiement, some aim for polish, some just take it as an opportunity to finish something. As far as I'm concerned you can use any freely available resources you want and planning and sketching is fine. If some people want to restrict themsleves further that's great, but the general idea is to get something done :D

I'll be taking part again this year. Just not sure on what yet. Hopefully I'll find out soon so I can start thinking.

Geckos
Veteran
Completed: Brilliant Shadows, Perceptions of the Dead, The Phantom Icecream Truck
Projects: Embers of Magic, Pale Spectrum, Perceptions of the Dead
Organization: Ithaqua Labs
Tumblr: geckosart
Deviantart: sitaart

#21 Post by Geckos »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:As far as I'm concerned the whole point of Nanoreno is to finish a game and get over the usual problems such as procrastination and feature creep by giving you a deadline. The challenge is what you make of it. Some people try to do everything on your own, some experiement, some aim for polish, some just take it as an opportunity to finish something. As far as I'm concerned you can use any freely available resources you want and planning and sketching is fine. If some people want to restrict themsleves further that's great, but the general idea is to get something done :D

I'll be taking part again this year. Just not sure on what yet. Hopefully I'll find out soon so I can start thinking.
That's a good attitude to have; setting your own pace is the most important bit. Trying to do something that you know you cannot achieve in a timely matter will do nothing but hurt your morale.

Will you be creating one with Camille, Auro?
Image ImageImage

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#22 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Geckos wrote:
Auro-Cyanide wrote:As far as I'm concerned the whole point of Nanoreno is to finish a game and get over the usual problems such as procrastination and feature creep by giving you a deadline. The challenge is what you make of it. Some people try to do everything on your own, some experiement, some aim for polish, some just take it as an opportunity to finish something. As far as I'm concerned you can use any freely available resources you want and planning and sketching is fine. If some people want to restrict themsleves further that's great, but the general idea is to get something done :D

That's a good attitude to have; setting your own pace is the most important bit. Trying to do something that you know you cannot achieve in a timely matter will do nothing but hurt your morale.

Will you be creating one with Camille, Auro?
I think it's a lot more positive that way. People should do what they can. Some people are in better positions to push themselves after all, for example some of us would have already have finished VNs or may already be in an established team. For others it will be their first time and that's a wonderful thing, so they should take on what they can manage. I get so excited when I see everyone work towards to same goal ^o^ Last year was amazing!

I'm not sure yet. I think she might be busy with exams and her schooling comes first. I'm checking with her. If she is unavailable I've offered to help someone else. I've done this 2 years running and I'm not going to miss out on all the fun. Best learning experience ever.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#23 Post by Taleweaver »

Unfortunately, I won't be participating this year. I already have a new assignment, one that is sure to take all of my spare time. It's not even a visual novel either, so sorry, guys, no Taleweaver in NaNoRenO 2013.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#24 Post by Deji »

Nghhh... I want to do this, but I guess it'd be safer to go IntRenAiMo instead with one of my on-hold projects with Ayu :')
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#25 Post by Kato »

This actually sounds like awesome fun!

Coding for the project I'm working on is still a ways away (I'm currently more of the cheque book/ideas bouncy castle), so if anybody needs a coder with far too much time on their hands definitely throw me a message! I'm much more familiar with 'Static' and 'Dynamic' novels as oppose to point and click games or games with a large amount of variables (health, stats, etc), so for the sake of speed I would be better suited to the former since there's a time limit. :D
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

#26 Post by Morishita »

I've learned a lot from the mistakes that I made while working on my last project for Nanoreno 2012 *which is still in the works ^^;* so I really want to try getting another story done for this years Nanoreno so I'm definitely in too. One of my worries is trying to come up with a decent GUI design....but I might just be over thinking the design to much and should just stick to something simple so that I can get the work done.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#27 Post by Fungii »

There's another NaNo in November? I guess I better keep myself open for that one then.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#28 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Fungii wrote:There's another NaNo in November? I guess I better keep myself open for that one then.
That is NaNoWriMo, which is what NaNoReNO is based off of.

NaNoWriMo's goal is to write a 50,000 word, or more, novel.

rasburn
Regular

#29 Post by rasburn »

This sounds fun, and might the just the motivation I need to do something :)

I think I'll try to do something as a writer. A mystery or something sounds fun. If anyone want to join me, just let me know :)
especially if you want to do art, but no art skill whatsoever is required. I don't want to aim high, but just make a small
game and have fun doing it, rather than winning some award :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#30 Post by PyTom »

Here's a really nerdy question. With the new death clock code I came up with for the 10th anniversary, I can now set the clock to start at an absolute time (the same worldwide), or a time in the user's timezone. So the question is, do we want to have NaNoRenO start at a single time this year, or do we want to keep it as it has been, a rolling start?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom