NanoReno - 2013

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

Re: NanoReno - 2013

#76 Post by ffs_jay »

Okay, I'm in. I just dusted off my old vn engine to fix a bug that was messing things up in GM Studio, then I stumble back on here to see what's been happening only to find this is days away from starting. Seems as good a sign as any I need to get my butt in gear and make something :p

I've got a few vague ideas I've been messing around with working on - a mermaid one (possibly Ariel's "deadbeat" sister who was written out of the movies), a supernatural Nancy Drew-ish story set in a creepy boarding school or a psychological horror story about a paranoid agoraphobic. I'm leaning towards the first one (ocean BGs & tails vs legs sounds good on a one-month deadline), but we'll see how it holds up under closer scrutiny I guess.

I'll be going solo, but I'm up for doing some writing for another project if anyone needs a spare set of hands.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#77 Post by mugenjohncel »

This is a problem... I decided to put Lamest of Lame in NaNoRenO but I already made 2 BG's for it... Does this mean I'll have to toss them to qualify and do a new set within the allotted month?

"POOF" (Disappears)

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#78 Post by akizakura »

Stripe wrote:I think I'm going to try and attempt something for this year's NaNoRenO, considering I've been into VN making for years and I have nothing to show for it so far... It might be something really small but I want to at least get *something* released!
Maybe this is the motivation I need to get in gear? ...or maybe not, but I can try, at least! T____T
Same here. NaNoWriMo has been pretty good for pushing me to finish or (this year) at least advance manuscripts, maybe the encroaching sense of doom motivation of NaNoReno can push me to make and release a short game. Last year my lappy died right in the middle of March and was in repair for two weeks. I SHALL AVENGE YOU, NANORENO 2012!

(Looks through her list of VN ideas) Crap, these are all too long to finish in a month. Any words of advice from folks who have done this create-a-VN-in-one-month challenge? How did you keep it small and manageable?

Capsy

#79 Post by Capsy »

I think, even though my previous attempt at Nanoreno went pretty badly, I'm still going to give this year a shot... in fact, I think it's because last year didn't exactly go to plan that I really want to do it again this year. I'm going to show just how much I've improved over these last 12 months!! ... it's most likely going to be an underwhelmingly low amount of improvement. ^^;; But I won't let that discourage me, right? Right? D:

Good luck to everyone else entering this year, it's always really fun to see how everyone does with just one month on their hands. :)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#80 Post by CheeryMoya »

akizakura wrote:(Looks through her list of VN ideas) Crap, these are all too long to finish in a month. Any words of advice from folks who have done this create-a-VN-in-one-month challenge? How did you keep it small and manageable?
I wrote:If I learned anything from last year, it's that you should not improvise and start mapping out the details when NaNo starts. If you haven't already, start planning now. If you have your plot outlined you can jump right into the writing immediately.
We have about 4 days left on the clock. If the story you go with is small enough you can easily whip up a very rough outline. Or you could wing it, but keep things simple. I'd say stick to a small cast, especially if this is your first time going in. Maybe 3 other important characters besides the MC, or else you'll have to compromise character development trying to juggle a giant cast. Limit your branches or use points to determine events, or go the KN route and get rid of that problem of too many possibilities altogether.

Speaking of the countdown clock, it's time I stopped waiting for someone to read an old dA journal and ask at the hub of activity. I need a sprite and possibly CG artist for my project. It's about a kid with migraines who transfers to a private school in hopes of finding a "quieter" school. Unfortunately, there was a mixup and he's at the wrong private school. Everyone over there is out of their mind and none of the conventional rules of school (or society for that matter) apply, so he takes a week to figure out if he wants to stay at this school or go to the one he was supposed to go to. If it means anything, this game is set in America (so no it's not another Japanese high school game). More details can be found in the dA journal I linked, and if it's still not that compelling then here's some of the character profiles (spoilers of course)*. PM me if you're interested!

*Edit: No spoilers for you
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyonkotchi
Veteran
Projects: Magical Warrior Diamond Heart, unLucky Love, Phantom Thief Asterism
Tumblr: magicalwarriordiamondheart
Deviantart: PastelPyon
itch: Pyonkotchi

#81 Post by Pyonkotchi »

i had planned on doing this but i got too excited and already started on art so i guess it doesnt count anymore lmfao n.n;;
ahaha whoops

/falls down the stairs

akizakura
Regular
Completed: Adversity Comp 2012
Projects: Everything's Going My Way
Organization: Mitayume

#82 Post by akizakura »

CheeryMoya wrote:Maybe 3 other important characters besides the MC, or else you'll have to compromise character development trying to juggle a giant cast. Limit your branches or use points to determine events, or go the KN route and get rid of that problem of too many possibilities altogether.
Thank you for all your advice, CheeryMoya! Especially the bit about using points instead of branches - I tend to let one or two character branches go like crazy and get overwhelmed, so a point system may work better for me.

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#83 Post by arachni42 »

It's interesting; I just started getting into the VN genre last month. I did NaNoWriMo in 2011 and actually completed it, and I was tossing around my own ideas and thinking, "it would be sort of cool if there were something like that for VNs." Then I found this thread. =) I'm not so sure I have the dedication for what I have in mind (half of my brainstorming has involved figuring out ways to limit the scope to something realistic), but I think it'll be fun to do *something* and see how far I get.

sorani
Veteran

#84 Post by sorani »

I'm really interested in what everyone else is doing, but I guess I have to wait till March 1st... I really can't wait lol, I wish the best of luck to all the participates!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#85 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Making concept art like mad, hiring tons of writers, finishing drafting and conceptualizing, and technically being a busy person. Auuugh I kinda wrote snippets, does that mean I have to scrap these? ;u;

Stupid prom being in March 1; I can't stay up all night...

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#86 Post by Rye »

Any proofreader and idea bouncer available around here? I'm exciting because of this year NaNoRenO xD I'm attending for the first time. It is better than sit around and watch.
Last edited by Rye on Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

gulabji

#87 Post by gulabji »

Really going to try for this this year. Kind of have a plot rattling around, maybe some kind of silly fairy tale fable. Here's to seeing how it goes :3

Starwulfen
Regular
Projects: Project PeGASuS, Destiny's Spire, The Dragon Call
Organization: Mist Fables

#88 Post by Starwulfen »

I've got my team together, need to poke my writer again for a list of characters so I can start sketching concepts for him.
Here's hoping we finish something ^_^
Work in Progress - Destiny's Spire
NaNoRenO 2013 - The Dragon Call

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#89 Post by Alera »

I want to make sure of something. This is just a challenge, right? In the end, no one gets judged, no one wins or loses, this is a challenge and the only prize you'll get in the end is your own finished creation and the satisfaction of beating the challenge~ So people do this challenge more for themselves, right? My point is, no one will kill you if you've been preparing for this, thinking concepts in your mind, or doing sketches or writing drafts or even if you've been making some official art for your project. If you think what you've done so far is wrong and completely against the rules, then ok, scrap that work, do something new. But I personally don't think that keeping a background, a sprite or two, a few written words, is that bad, these are minor things and as long as you do the rest of the work during March and you release the game during that month, and as long as you're satisfied and you feel that you've completed the challenge, then you have, haven't you? Just be fair to yourself~

Correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I've noticed for the years of stalking this amazing project. >.<b

I really plan on joining this time, but I'm still not sure with what. I have a couple of ideas in mind, but I don't know what would be good to make. ;w;
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#90 Post by Mink »

Well, even if you did what could be considered 'cheating', no one would really know unless you said so*. >_> Though I guess it really is more of a personal challenge, like you said.

*Though I guess you would know, if you think about it that way
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*