NanoReno - 2013

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: NanoReno - 2013

#31 Post by SusanTheCat »

I vote for rolling clock.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#32 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

A rolling start is probably best.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by CheeryMoya »

Rolling, not everyone can afford to stay up in another timezone. The issue would be of deciding which universal timezone would be fair too.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#34 Post by leon »

I'm interested in pairing with a writer and a sprite artist for Nano. I'm fine with any genre as long as the story is interesting. I can do BGs, coding and GUI.
CheeryMoya wrote:Rolling, not everyone can afford to stay up in another timezone. The issue would be of deciding which universal timezone would be fair too.
Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) would make sense, being... universal and all... I hope you are not planning on staying up and starting exactly at midnight to make use of a few extra hours. :wink:
Oh, I'm for rolling too.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#35 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

I would kind of like someone to help me in the art department for my NaNo, that way I can actually just focus fully on the writing of it. (Since I'm trying to push myself to my limit with it, it would actually be a huge help not to have to try to squeeze out art as well)

Story in a nutshell is about; a doll that gets a chance to be human for a month by a whim of a deity, but she can only stay human if she gets a guy to give their heart to her before the month ends. And so she begins trying to understand the mystery that is love in a world she knows nothing about.

Otome, romance, comedy, tragedy.

PM me if you are interested in assisting art-wise with my project.

Edit: Position is filled
Last edited by Maelstrom-Fenrir on Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#36 Post by leon »

Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:...she can only stay human if she gets a guy to give their hear to her...
Hear... Did you meant hair? Or maybe hearing? :lol: Yeah I know you meant heart.

I'd be happy to help with backgrounds, GUI and coding.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#37 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

leon wrote:
Maelstrom-Fenrir wrote:...she can only stay human if she gets a guy to give their hear to her...
Hear... Did you meant hair? Or maybe hearing? :lol: Yeah I know you meant heart.

I'd be happy to help with backgrounds, GUI and coding.
Haha, yeah, 'heart' was what I meant.

I doubt I have really much coding per say needed for it. GUI and BGs are good though. I'll contact you on Skype about it.

icecheetah
Regular

#38 Post by icecheetah »

Rolling, if feasable. It's what the big one does after all, and it's just a bit more fair.
Though I wonder if it would make problems for teams that have members in different time zones. Like "I know it's last minute but we need a quick placeholder for X." "Sorry, it's already April here."

I can do sprites for people, and some backgrounds and CGs. I cannot use Google Sketchup, so you have a guarantee that any backgrounds I provide will be hand drawn, but slow.I can also write and proofread, and (thanks to Fallen London) I can switch into a semi-victorian style of writing if anyone wants that.

Edit: Taken.
Last edited by icecheetah on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#39 Post by Sapphi »

It's out-of-character for me but...
I'm actually kind of considering participating this year...
Since I have an idea that requires minimal art, so minimal perfectionist stress. Mostly I want to work on my programming... theoretically it should be easy, but... I don't know if I can grasp it enough to make it work in one month.

If I find that I can...
I'll need a good musician who can provide me with some retro-techno BGM :)

EDIT: Or maybe dramatic piano BGM. I dunno. Decisions!!
Last edited by Sapphi on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Carassaurat
Veteran

#40 Post by Carassaurat »

Eh, I'm going to have to think really hard on what I want to do for NaNoRenO this year. I've had this idea of making a VN in which, at points where you'd normally get a choice, the novel would go split screen and just play out both possibilities at the same time, with the multiple routes accentuating each other as if they were the voices of counterpoint music. But the best template for such a thing would be a dating game, as that allows for similar situations (a fugue of festivals, for example) and you could more easily track which route is which simply by each having a different character, i.e. the love interest, on screen... but the last thing I want to do all March is write another one of those bloody dating VNs.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#41 Post by Taleweaver »

For those still looking for a story idea, I hereby release one of my better ideas into the Public Domain:

ROMANCE IS DEAD (romantic otome, macabre)
Setup: A young woman, studying biology at the University of New Orleans (UNO), earns some side money by doing night shifts at the UNO's biology labs (preparing test samples and stuff). One of her fellow students, a rather shy psychology student, has a crush on her, but her ways of trying to get in contact with her creep her out, so she refuses. To win her heart, he tries to conduct a voodoo ritual (even though he's the whitest guy in history) which, naturally, fails to make her fall in love with him. Instead, the ritual awakens a dead body that has been frozen in the 1950s back to life, creating a zombie with the looks and charm of the young James Dean, and also attracts the attention of a campus ghost (died in the 1920s) and a vampire (from the early 1800s). The young woman is now stuck in a love triangle with three dead though very attractive men, each of who has his own appeal. And there's also her fellow student who still hasn't given up on her...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#42 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

I actually have drafts and character designs here for a short and quite unique political fantasy VN I really want to make. The concept's a *bit* cliche, but I guess it's good enough since I actually have a draft I can understand in less than an hour : )) I don't know if I can post the concept, but ohwell, if anyone's interested with working with me as an artist and/or a co-writer, hit me up via PM : )))

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by SusanTheCat »

Carassaurat wrote:Eh, I'm going to have to think really hard on what I want to do for NaNoRenO this year. I've had this idea of making a VN in which, at points where you'd normally get a choice, the novel would go split screen and just play out both possibilities at the same time, with the multiple routes accentuating each other as if they were the voices of counterpoint music. But the best template for such a thing would be a dating game, as that allows for similar situations (a fugue of festivals, for example) and you could more easily track which route is which simply by each having a different character, i.e. the love interest, on screen... but the last thing I want to do all March is write another one of those bloody dating VNs.
You could do this as a zombie apocalypse game. Then you can close the screen when that option dies.

It would be cool to have a "Main" monitor that the player could watch. then they could still feel like they were making choices. The the "main" story dies, they could switch to another monitor.

I had a similar idea where the PC was mall security and got to pick which group of people to watch.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Applegate »

Every year I plan to enter and none of the years I actually get anything done in time. I may just have to see if I can't find someone to work with and increase productivity... I tend to take ages with a bit of writing, always thinking it just isn't interesting enough.

I'll see how it goes.

Artemiy

#45 Post by Artemiy »

Applegate wrote: I tend to take ages with a bit of writing, always thinking it just isn't interesting enough.
If anything, I know that feel.

All too damn well.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻