Working Solo or ...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

Working Solo or ...

#1 Post by Surufe »

With Team/Someone. Personally, I'm rather working solo but working with someone is really good. Depend on people. The question is obivious, you prefer which better? If with someone, who would that be.

Feel free to move if I posted it on wrong sub forum
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.

Hibikai
Regular

Re: Working Solo or ...

#2 Post by Hibikai »

Unless I'm working with someone whom I'm certain won't eventually abandon me, I prefer to work solo. It's easier since I can manage my own time and work pace. However, working with a team can have its advantages too, such as the project can be done a lot faster if the team members have time and are dedicated enough. But knowing me, I just want everything to be done by myself. :P

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#3 Post by 9-of-Hearts »

I would love to build a team/studio that sticks together for multiple game developments (a pipe dream, right?), but it seems people are largely focused per idea.... I am willing and want to do a wide variety of things, but I have no idea if it would even be possible to gather a team even if I gave examples of ideas we could be working with. I don't like floating around like I do...
I'd especially prefer to work with a team because of the different types of work I'm not as good at, mainly programming and somewhat writing. *le sigh*

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#4 Post by SundownKid »

I go solo only out of necessity, I think working with someone else is always superior. You can exchange ideas, save time, and play to your strengths.

Amorphous
Regular
Completed: Recording the Predestined Time
Tumblr: beastamorphous
Github: dmliao
Soundcloud: a_morphous
itch: amorphous

#5 Post by Amorphous »

I work solo practically all the time, if only because I tend to work at a pace faster than most of my friends are willing to put up with. There's also the fact that I tend to prefer not to work with people I haven't met in real life, at least not until I'm pretty confident in my own abilities.
Confused person. Makes art and music.
Website | Twitter

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

The only solo project I've done that I still proudly display is [text]. Other than that, I really enjoy working with other people. Working with other creative minds helps fuel my ideas, and it's nice to have other people to bounce ideas off of. Plus, having other team members means we can do more in a shorter amount of time (and considering how slow I am alone, that's a good thing).

That being said, it's really important to have a good team that you can really click with. You need to share at least some similar interests and tastes, and have the same general idea of what you want the final project to be like. Taking time choosing who to work with, and remember that these people have also willingly chosen to work with you.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#7 Post by KomiTsuku »

Even though they tend to be very fluid, I only work with a team nowadays. I don't have enough talent in my body and time in the day to manage every single aspect of a project. That only gets worse as the project gets larger. There's a lot you cannot do solo without a ridiculous amount of time. Talent is also the key point here. I'm not an artist. My art is just awful. If I try to make another project that depends on my art ability, it will get laughed into the street. Know what you are good at, get assistance where you're not.

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#8 Post by ShippoK »

I prefer the solo route myself; You get the freedom to do whatever you want without feeling pressured by others.

I say this because of my bad habit of re-thinking/re-writing/re-drawings a lot of my ideas and works over and over again. A lot of people would get lost if I was in charge of the project or they'll find me incompetent to get anything done on time because of this habit.

I'm just a complicated person to work with. :?
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#9 Post by Kato »

Am I the only one that hates working solo?! Ahhh! I always liked input from team members in whatever I'm doing. The hard part I guess is finding someone who will stay on the project with you but I've been pretty lucky in that regards. I find if I work solely on my own, no matter how great the idea is, it will inevitably join my idea graveyard with the rest of my solo projects :/
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Endorphin
Veteran

#10 Post by Endorphin »

^ sake-bento said that she enjoys working in a team, too. :'D

But myself, I prefer working solo.
I'm always rather... sure of what I want to do. =D"
(But I sometimes talk ideas through with my boyfriend--which translates to me talking and him looking confused.)
I'd only take somebody as a slave to draw the flat colours in drawings to help me program something, but nowadays I'm fine with doing this myself.
(This freedom~ <3 Finally I know who to blame [it's so much easier to kick my own ass, I'm way to polite to other people].)

- En.

Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

#11 Post by Boomsickle »

I'd go solo if i was any good at drawing but because i am not I'm stuck either commissioning artist or asking for help. I'm a writer so everything else i outsource. It would be cool to be a part of a team so who knows maybe in the near future and by that maybe after i release my first vn so people can see an example of my work.

Surufe
Regular
Projects: [secret]
Organization: t-a-s-t-e Inc.

#12 Post by Surufe »

Endorphin wrote:(But I sometimes talk ideas through with my boyfriend--which translates
to me talking and him looking confused.)
I know how you feel. That's far from awkward.
I have a side-kick-butt-idea who is always help me with writing. Seem like most of people enjoy work with a team.
New Account - Rye
I'm no longer using this account.

Desu_Cake
Veteran
Projects: Secret, Secret and Secret

#13 Post by Desu_Cake »

I prefer working solo, but only because I'm terrible at working in a team. Well, that and the fact that I get embarrased talking about my ideas before they're fully formed. It's something I need to get over.

nyaatrap
Crawling Chaos

#14 Post by nyaatrap »

It's mostly speed and money issue. Working with volunteers usually slows down progress, so I need professionals who is not just skilled, also reliable and fast. But I'm not so wealth to hire such talents yet. Though I don't know how it'd be in the future.
(Honestly, people who's saying he has no skills but want to do anything is rather troublesome. They tend to make things worse)

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#15 Post by Kato »

@nyaatrap - Totally agree. I've worked with plenty of people who volunteered and a vast minority of them actually made my life easier. Honestly don't think ill work with volunteers again, would rather just throw the money at them and avoid a headache.
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds