Tips for writing a progress blog.

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Nisa-chan666
Regular

Tips for writing a progress blog.

#1 Post by Nisa-chan666 »

Hi there. I'm currently working on my first Visual Novel and I'm thinking of setting up a blog to document my progress through the project. I was wondering whether anyone had any tips or preferences when it comes to this: are there certain elements of the game that you would like to hear more about and are there things that I should avoid? Many thanks :D

EroBotan
Veteran

Re: Tips for writing a progress blog.

#2 Post by EroBotan »

anything will do i guess because people have different preference so i think it's good to have various stuff to show.

Lachez
Regular
Projects: Nakajo

#3 Post by Lachez »

What I've seen people do about the game itself is the development of paths and characters. Things you possibly want to try and avoid might be things like major spoilers, you can throw out a couple samples here and there to try and grab people's interest in your game. I also see how the producer communicates with their team of people or simply their thoughts on what they want to do, change, improve and such. Introducing your team and possibly samples of their works. I'm fairly new to this as well but as EroBotan said, it's all really up to you what you want your audience to see. Hope this helps in some way ^^

Nisa-chan666
Regular

#4 Post by Nisa-chan666 »

Thanks for the replies guys :D Every bit of advice helps.
Lachez wrote:What I've seen people do about the game itself is the development of paths and characters. Things you possibly want to try and avoid might be things like major spoilers, you can throw out a couple samples here and there to try and grab people's interest in your game.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. The thing is that I'm already about 1/2-2/3 of the way through one character's route, so I was wondering whether that might be a bit far in to start with.

Also, my fiancé, who will be dealing with the more technical side of it, mentioned that he would be interested in updating with coding information. Would that be something that people would be interested in seeing?

Cabriolean
Regular

#5 Post by Cabriolean »

Nisa-chan666 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys :D Every bit of advice helps.
Lachez wrote:What I've seen people do about the game itself is the development of paths and characters. Things you possibly want to try and avoid might be things like major spoilers, you can throw out a couple samples here and there to try and grab people's interest in your game.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. The thing is that I'm already about 1/2-2/3 of the way through one character's route, so I was wondering whether that might be a bit far in to start with.

Also, my fiancé, who will be dealing with the more technical side of it, mentioned that he would be interested in updating with coding information. Would that be something that people would be interested in seeing?
Stuff I like as a teaser are things like a post on each character, picture, some basic information etc. I wouldn't say it's too late...
Maybe some concept art or art bloopers, I might read the coding information, it depends on how in depth it is because I kind of suck at coding, so if it's too difficult then I won't understand it, if it's too simple, then more experienced people might find it boring, but it definitely wouldn't put me off.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#6 Post by dramspringfeald »

Tip ~ Read Progress blogs, Then Mirror them.

i'm sure there are a lot of them up in WIP or on LiveJournal
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Nisa-chan666
Regular

#7 Post by Nisa-chan666 »

dramspringfeald wrote:Tip ~ Read Progress blogs, Then Mirror them.

i'm sure there are a lot of them up in WIP or on LiveJournal
Of course :) Any you would recommend?

Longeye

#8 Post by Longeye »

Cabriolean wrote:I might read the coding information, it depends on how in depth it is because I kind of suck at coding, so if it's too difficult then I won't understand it, if it's too simple, then more experienced people might find it boring, but it definitely wouldn't put me off.
The Fiancé here; how would you feel about basic VN code being set up to make VN stuff happen, and at the same time I cover very basic -> more advanced Python as I go? So I do code stuff in a practical way, hopefully with the aim that eventually someone might learn a little they find useful and can learn themselves :)
~Longeye~

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#9 Post by dramspringfeald »

Ok, If you want to build something the best way is to see how they are built. You want to build a Game Dev Blog then google "Game Development blogs" and Try to do as they do. It sounds like cheating but in reality that is how it is done. There is usually a formula to fallow. Name of game, Synopsis, Characters*, Some of the levels and maybe a Quick Demo either Video, Picture or Actual Demo. Then you just update the sections as they pop up. Just keep reading them ANY of them. Check Either WIP or the Signatures of some of our Higher Post count People on here for links to them.

*Just names and Quick Bios. No "What they do" or "This is bob, he's a BAD GUY"

Links
http://blog.gambrinous.com/2009/05/07/t ... ent-blogs/
http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/07/linear- ... rs-part-1/
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Nisa-chan666
Regular

#10 Post by Nisa-chan666 »

dramspringfeald wrote:Ok, If you want to build something the best way is to see how they are built. You want to build a Game Dev Blog then google "Game Development blogs" and Try to do as they do. It sounds like cheating but in reality that is how it is done. There is usually a formula to fallow. Name of game, Synopsis, Characters*, Some of the levels and maybe a Quick Demo either Video, Picture or Actual Demo. Then you just update the sections as they pop up. Just keep reading them ANY of them. Check Either WIP or the Signatures of some of our Higher Post count People on here for links to them.
Many thanks :D This will probably keep me busy for a while now.

Goblin Maiden
Regular
Completed: Fest-off!
Projects: Yarn Shop Hop

#11 Post by Goblin Maiden »

I was actually wondering this too, if I decided to make more games after NaNoRenO (something tells me I might). Thanks for the info!
Writer, coder, audio editor
Currently prepping for Yuri Jam '16!
Fest-off [Hakuoki Fangame][Kenetic][GxB][NaNoReNo 2015]