Demo & Missing Art

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

Demo & Missing Art

#1 Post by wyverngem »

So, I'm a bit frustrated at the moment with my game. It's nearly done on my end, though the background artist I had planned has gone silent. I'm not mad. I realize that it's a non-paid project and we both have lives. Though, I'm a little frustrated. Do you all think it's acceptable to show off a demo when the graphics aren't all there? I mean everything is done, it's just the backgrounds that are either missing or only temporary.

Cadenza
Regular
Projects: Ghost Memory

Re: Demo & Missing Art

#2 Post by Cadenza »

I don't think you should release a demo with some background images completely missing. I know plenty of well-received demos that use placeholder backgrounds. My advice would be to perhaps use photo-manipulated stock images, like applying a filter to them or something that makes them look more like art than photograph.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#3 Post by Nuxill »

Yeah, it would be good to have some kind of image to signify that there's something that's going to be there in the future. Cadenza's suggestion of stock photos is good. Heck, I personally wouldn't even mind 'dummy art' or quick sketches because it signifies that something better will be coming, where with stock art someone might believe that's going to be the final image (unless you make it distinct enough to say 'this is not final').

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

I concur with the others; release with placeholder artwork.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Personally, I don't mind if a demo has a few missing assets, just state that it's more of a progression demo, aka WIP demo, and not a complete demo. Although it probably is a good idea to at least stick some place-holder images in its place, since it could bother some.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

fcosby
IRC Nick: dylanians

#6 Post by fcosby »

Kokoro Hane wrote:Personally, I don't mind if a demo has a few missing assets, just state that it's more of a progression demo, aka WIP demo, and not a complete demo. Although it probably is a good idea to at least stick some place-holder images in its place, since it could bother some.
Having a few missing assets is not a big issue there as long as the demo is working.

Last edited by fcosby on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#7 Post by wyverngem »

I'm not comfortable with releasing a demo with the backgrounds missing. I mean even if the game flows well and there are small none-crashing errors in the demo. It just feels odd releasing it with just blank backgrounds(checker board) look...

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#8 Post by Coren »

wyverngem wrote:I'm not comfortable with releasing a demo with the backgrounds missing. I mean even if the game flows well and there are small none-crashing errors in the demo. It just feels odd releasing it with just blank backgrounds(checker board) look...
Exactly. So use placeholders.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#9 Post by Tempus »

How many backgrounds are missing?

Also, you don't need to have the checker board pattern there -- even if you don't find place holders, you can still use a solid colour as a background. Black is already defined in Ren'Py, but others aren't as I recall. So, "scene black" in your script where there's a missing background should work fine (I think!); it's better than the ugly checker board, IMO.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)