How many people actually use ALICE?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Penguincandy

How many people actually use ALICE?

#1 Post by Penguincandy »

So I've been working on a VN, and since I have no art skills/artsy friends all my character graphics have been done with ALICE. That got me wondering: how many projects have actually used it? I'd love to check out any complete games that used it and see how that turned out.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

No projects have used ALICE, sadly. You'd be the first. And ALICE deserves to get a game. :P

Penguincandy

#3 Post by Penguincandy »

Huh. I'm kinda surprised; it's been out for a while, and I hear people always need artists. I know ALICE is kinda no-frills, but you'd think some small project would have used it.

I've already made all the character graphics I want with it, and results were...halfway decent, actually! There were some issues, yeah. One character is stuck permanently in the same pose because it's the only one that her outfit allows. I couldn't get black hair to look right to me, so I settled for a dark purple. With only one face/body structure, I'm trying to avoid having two characters onscreen simultaneously with the same outfit- they'd just look too similar.

...But it's *way* better than nothing. That's how it crumbles when you suck at drawing stuff, like I do.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

It's good that you want to use ALICE. I was thinking that for a doll set to be useable it needs to have lots more options (character types, outfits, expressions). It would be more work then needed, especially if unsure if anyone would find it useful.

The reason for the call for artists is that custom graphics -- no matter how amateur -- will still fit the story better than something off-the-shelf.

But if you are able to customize ALICE to suit your needs as is the case here, more power to you.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

It's good to hear ALICE is being used. I'm looking forward to seeing how it'll turn out. :)

I agree that more options should be available but as with all things, that requies work. I may get back to it after Foxtaile.... <.<

Laveil Kurtis
Regular

#6 Post by Laveil Kurtis »

That reminds me using the Character creator from Enterbrain's Ren'ai Simulation Maker 2. Too bad that's in japanese and can't import new packs. But you can put expressions, faces, clothes... even colours. You can't export the characters, but Print Screen + Paint do the trick.

Here's a example
Attachments
girl1.PNG
girl2.PNG
girl3.PNG

Terren

#7 Post by Terren »

What exactly IS Alice? XD

Sed
Regular

#8 Post by Sed »

Terren wrote:What exactly IS Alice? XD
You can learn more about it here: http://www.renaigames.net/alice.html

Anyways...

I have zero artistic ability, so I have a natural interest in ALICE. So what would it take to get more "packs"?

Maybe a contest with judges and prizes? Best pack wins a $100 gift certificate to Best Buy?

Are there other groups unrelated to VNs that would benefit from Alice? Maybe if they knew about it, it would spark enough interest to generate more content? I can't think of anything specific, but maybe other amateur gaming groups could use it?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#9 Post by lordcloudx »

hehe Key-style eyeballs on that Renai simulation maker 2.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by DaFool »

Sed wrote:So what would it take to get more "packs"?

Are there other groups unrelated to VNs that would benefit from Alice?
If you don't mind the 8-bit feel, kiss doll sets are technically useable for visual novels.

http://www.kisekaeworld.com/UltraKiss/install.htm
http://www.kisekaeworld.com/Hosted/index.html

I was planning to make more sets, but was unsure if they're useable, so I'm back to build-to-order.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

Re: How many people actually use ALICE?

#11 Post by kara24601 »

I'd use Alice if I actually understood better how to use the program.
Despite made with the intention to help "non-artists" and amateur artists with character design,
it's not easy to understand the way Ren'Py or Adrift is for game-making and KISS (I prefer PlayFKISS and other stuff over Ultrakiss) is for kisekae aka "electronic paper dolls" or KISS.

Many base/template artists that make stuff for KISS expect their stuff to be used in kisekae only projects and like to be asked if you want to use the templates or bases in non-KISS stuff.

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#12 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I am working on a renai-style comic. It will use alice.
But perhaps it would be nice if somebody could design more clothes for the betty pack.
And misa want renaigirl maker thingy...
Last edited by Sailor Kitty on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#13 Post by mikey »

I used the Alice ALICE doll, for White Nights. :P

Ren

#14 Post by Ren »

I uploaded the original file here, there are more hairstyles than those I sent to Pytom at the time and a few more things to make her wear, if you have anything in particular you'd want her to have I could draw it :3

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#15 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Thank you!

But how do I use it?
Is it made for opening with photoshop or can I integrate it with the program? Sorry for being a total idiot at programming, I'm just not very sure.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com