Getting sick of Japanese names

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
CaseyLoufek
Regular
Projects: Bliss Stage, Orbital Knights

Re: Getting sick of Japanese names

#121 Post by CaseyLoufek »

I didn't realize there was this vast group of oppressed game developers who are dying to make sex games but are afraid of what their peers will think.
That may be an exaggeration but I must say it's a concern. Americans see sex as perverse and anyone making sexual materials as a potential deviant predator. It's rather difficult to just make an adult game and not have it be a big deal. This seems to be shifting as the growing indie sector widens the niches available but it's a concern.

Of course there's also the fear of people thinking the finished product is just stupid or goofy as well.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#122 Post by Obscura »

CaseyLoufek wrote:
I didn't realize there was this vast group of oppressed game developers who are dying to make sex games but are afraid of what their peers will think.
That may be an exaggeration but I must say it's a concern. Americans see sex as perverse and anyone making sexual materials as a potential deviant predator. It's rather difficult to just make an adult game and not have it be a big deal. This seems to be shifting as the growing indie sector widens the niches available but it's a concern.

Of course there's also the fear of people thinking the finished product is just stupid or goofy as well.
I guess I'm lucky I don't give a crap? I care about having fun and making something people will love. If I wanted to make something reputable, I sure as heck wouldn't be making a VN, which isn't exactly seen in favorable terms by the general gaming population to begin with.

I mean, I'm saying this because I hear 100x more comments to the effect of "a VN is NOT a game--GTFO" as opposed to "that has sex in it? Oh noes."

And in any case, I suppose I'm creating for players who welcome explicit scenes for the most part. I have a feeling yaoi/bara fans don't actually barrage their devs with "Can you not put sex in it...I'll get my titillation elsewhere" requests, in a way a hetero dev might.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#123 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Greeny wrote:And while not required, by any means, isn't that what we, as a community exist for (among other stuff)? To encourage growth in these areas? To provide constructive criticism about how people can improve their writing?
I think that is fine, and important, but I don't think is requires people to dismiss an entire setting, genre, language or culture. There is no reason someone can't make a good game set in a Japanese highschool. There isn't any reason someone couldn't make a good generic game set in a Japanese highschool which is still a pleasure to play. People have been rehashing the same stories over and over again for a long time. Do you think Japanese high school settings have been more overdone than say Shakespeare? Maybe here, but not in the world at large. And it doesn't stop people from redoing Shakespeare, and sometimes it's very successful, like The Lion King or 10 Things I Hate About You.

By all means, suggest that they have a subplot to tie their story together and give it more purpose, or give them feedback on how they can make their characters more lively. That is good, I encourage that. Just don't feel the need to discourage people from their chosen genre or setting. If you want to help, suggest how they can do it well. They might not take the advice right away, but that stuff tends to stick in the back of your mind. That way they can do what they like AND improve in the fundamentals without feeling like their likes are being insulted and threatened. And next time, next time they might step out of their comfort zone and try something new.

Also, I apoligise if I seem angry or something, I'm not. I'm not even personally invested. I can see why people think that it would be good if they just stopped, and I support variation, I just think it's the wrong way to go about getting it and at the end of the day it isn't anyone's business apart from the creators themselves. We all get to make our own games here, so we should be free to make that choice, despite what other people's personal preference is.
Last edited by Auro-Cyanide on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#124 Post by ShippoK »

Obscura wrote:
I guess I'm lucky I don't give a crap? I care about having fun and making something people will love. If I wanted to make something reputable, I sure as heck wouldn't be making a VN, which isn't exactly seen in favorable terms by the general gaming population to begin with.
Has anyone told you how amazing you are. 8)
Obscura wrote: I have a feeling yaoi/bara fans don't actually barrage their devs with "Can you not put sex in it...I'll get my titillation elsewhere" requests, in a way a hetero dev might.
It's hard to see a Yaoi/Bara without sex in it!
(I know these things, I'm an expert yaoi pervert!)
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#125 Post by dramspringfeald »

You seem to be kind of slow to the conversation
EroBotan wrote:1. If you don't like it, then it's better to not read it
when it's the ONLY THING OUT it's not a "find something else" issue
EroBotan wrote: 2. If you can't find the VN of that fits your taste, then create one. It will help everyone.
We are but it is slow going. We're not all cranking out generic "Otome game, school life comedy"
EroBotan wrote: 3. If you don't have the ability to create one then try to accept reality and move on (and don't insult people who working hard to create their favorite game even though it's generic and they fail in the end, at least they tried)
Again, only thing out. Go ahead and look in the main site look up "school life comedy" there is a HUGE amount. Let them work hard but know there are a LARGE amount of us who will shoot them down once we see anything in the title that remotely looks like "school life"
EroBotan wrote: 4. If you really have to complain, do it politely (this thread title is clearly a flamebait)
I stated that at the begning but it's less flame bate and more WE are telling YOU what WE want to see because the market is flooded by "Otome game, school life comedy"
*Horror isn't any better.
EroBotan wrote: 5. Majority of teenagers tend to like a game with high school setting because it's their current life. Can't blame them from loving it.
High school, not Japanese high school by the SAME people they are in class with.
EroBotan wrote: 6. Making generic games is not a bad thing, especially for people who are new into game development. With generic stuff you have plenty of examples which can be used as reference during development process. The more generic your first game is, the better your chance on finishing it.
Unless everyone is already tired of the same thing and won't even look at it when it's done.
EroBotan wrote: 7. I'm not here to get involved in arguments, so have a nice day and thanks for reading, bye :D
Too late.

====
teacup wrote:Many people complaining in this thread are upset because people are making games that they don't like.
They apparently lack the ability to ignore those games, and instead focus on things they DO like.
For some reason, they think the world should cater to what they want, so if they don't like certain games, everyone should stop making them.
That will never happen, nor SHOULD it happen.
Basically, there's a false sense of entitlement in this thread that I find really disgusting.
I also hope this thread gets locked at this point. It's not really a discussion anymore.
Again, you seem to think we are complaining about "Other games." The issue is there really aren't any. I love you you keep attacking people for not liking YOUR type of game "They think the world should cater to what they want, so if they don't like certain games, everyone should stop making them" WE keep saying one type of game.

"Basically, there's a false sense of entitlement in this thread that I find really disgusting." You know this is bull. We are just saying it's time to make more then just 1 game. We are tired of every other game being "Japanese High School" involving the SAME characters, in the Same setting doing the SAME things. Whether they are in a "coffee shop hunting ghosts" or YET another "Otome game, school life comedy, mild science fiction"

Again not most of the other games just "Otome game, school life comedy, other" types of games. Seriously even "Surprising twists" will not help the game. You take "Plot + characters / Subject" and you have the twist. It's gotten old and we are saying we want something new.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#126 Post by teacup »

Again, you seem to think we are complaining about "Other games." The issue is there really aren't any.
That is false, and I proved that in a previous post. When I last counted, less than half of the games on the completed games first page were "generic". The other 65% are "other games".
I presented facts, you've presented your opinion. One is more valid than the other.
I love you you keep attacking people for not liking YOUR type of game "They think the world should cater to what they want, so if they don't like certain games, everyone should stop making them" WE keep saying one type of game.

"Basically, there's a false sense of entitlement in this thread that I find really disgusting." You know this is bull. We are just saying it's time to make more then just 1 game. We are tired of every other game being "Japanese High School" involving the SAME characters, in the Same setting doing the SAME things. Whether they are in a "coffee shop hunting ghosts" or YET another "Otome game, school life comedy, mild science fiction"

Again not most of the other games just "Otome game, school life comedy, other" types of games. Seriously even "Surprising twists" will not help the game. You take "Plot + characters / Subject" and you have the twist. It's gotten old and we are saying we want something new.
I haven't attacked anyone in this thread. You, on the other hand, have had a hostile attitude from the get-go.
I never said that anyone has to like the same types of game I like at all - I fail to see where I said or implied that. The point I was trying to make is that, regardless of the types of game people like or don't like, people will keep making all kinds of games. You can't stop people from making games you don't like, so it seems pointless to complain about them making them - and it's rude to tell them to stop. People can do, and will do, whatever they want, whether you like it or not. If someone makes a game you don't like, why do you even acknowledge it? Why can't you get over it and stop giving them the attention that you think they don't deserve?
Yeah, I get that you want something new. Trust me. You've said it about 100 times.
I don't get why you're sitting here complaining about it when you could be helping to make something new. And I don't get why you're basically demanding that other people make these new games for you. That is why I think you have the false sense of entitlement. No one has to make games that you like. No one has to stop making games that you don't like, especially considering that they have a fanbase.
If you don't get that by now, sorry, but you never will.
I didn't understand the rest of your argument so I'm not going to reply to it.

By the way, I like the subtle attack on my game. Very mature.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#127 Post by dramspringfeald »

teacup wrote:I didn't understand the rest of your argument so I'm not going to reply to it.

I wasn't attacking your game alone, I mean using "Otome game, school life comedy" as a description goes for most of them. However I did use your game as an example as it is "Otome game, school life comedy" with "Surprising twists" It's like adding salt to Ramen. It's a change but it's still the same Ramen.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#128 Post by teacup »

dramspringfeald wrote:
teacup wrote:I didn't understand the rest of your argument so I'm not going to reply to it.

I wasn't attacking your game alone, I mean using "Otome game, school life comedy" as a description goes for most of them. However I did use your game as an example as it is "Otome game, school life comedy" with "Surprising twists" It's like adding salt to Ramen. It's a change but it's still the same Ramen.
I admit my game uses a lot of cliches. But guess what? Many people enjoyed my game. I'm glad I made it, because I made a lot of friends through it, gained a lot of supporters, and have grown as an artist, writer, and programmer.
Why are you discouraging people from making such games if they could have the same positive results? :|

EroBotan
Veteran

#129 Post by EroBotan »

MaiMai wrote:To be honest, I hope we can just gas this thread since it's pretty much the epitome of "how come people don't like what I like this cheeses me off."

Some good discussion, has been produced, but it's obvious we're all getting waaaaay too testy.
teacup wrote:MaiMai is right.
Many people complaining in this thread are upset because people are making games that they don't like.
They apparently lack the ability to ignore those games, and instead focus on things they DO like.
For some reason, they think the world should cater to what they want, so if they don't like certain games, everyone should stop making them.
That will never happen, nor SHOULD it happen.
Basically, there's a false sense of entitlement in this thread that I find really disgusting.
I also hope this thread gets locked at this point. It's not really a discussion anymore.
Haha, pytom and shippo already predicted where this thread is going to in the early pages, and Deji even says that this thread should be posted in rant section instead creator discussion lol (which I agree wholeheartedly)

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#130 Post by ShippoK »

EroBotan wrote: Haha, pytom and shippo already predicted where this thread is going to in the early pages, and Deji even says that this thread should be posted in rant section instead creator discussion lol (which I agree wholeheartedly)

But no one listens to dear old Shippo, but what does Shippo know? Shippo just says stupid stuff Shippo doesn't know about.
Shippo is a stupid Japanese name as well, Shippo doesn't know. Shippo just dumb!

Shippo should stop talking in 3rd-person now. Kay... bye...
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#131 Post by enta »

EroBotan wrote: Haha, pytom and shippo already predicted where this thread is going to in the early pages, and Deji even says that this thread should be posted in rant section instead creator discussion lol (which I agree wholeheartedly)

I predicted this already the moment this thread reached page 2(where there are posts that were completely irrelevant to the topic, including mine's). There is no way that such a topic like this would be "just a cute" discussion. :lol:

@Shippo: your speaking reminded me of that slave goblin in Harry Potter(forgot the bloody name, was that Gobly?Goolie?)

EroBotan
Veteran

#132 Post by EroBotan »

Nice one shippo, hopefully that squirrel can put a smile to everyone who participated in this thread ^^ (sorry if it's not a squirrel, i'm not good at telling the difference beetween different rodent species lol)

@enta: lets just hope that we can end it cutely with shippo's squirrel :D

enta
Veteran
Projects: One Moment in Summer(GxB/Supernatural)

#133 Post by enta »

EroBotan wrote:Nice one shippo, hopefully that squirrel can put a smile to everyone who participated in this thread ^^ (sorry if it's not a squirrel, i'm not good at telling the difference beetween different rodent species lol)

@enta: lets just hope that we can end it cutely with shippo's squirrel :D
Lol, I think that's a fox(or I might be wrong) :oops:

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#134 Post by Kato »

I thought it was a cat boasting a super fluffy tail! Haha
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#135 Post by Obscura »

I want an LSF tshirt that has that raccoon on the front.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website