The Ren'Ai Archive (renai.us, RAA) all-in-one thread

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mr. E
Regular

Re: The Ren'Ai Archives (renai.us) all-in-one thread

#151 Post by Mr. E »

Marry Me, Misato! probably fits into the parody genre too.
Corrected.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#152 Post by DaFool »

I just updated the Ren'Py listings.

New solicitations:
* Chuu Dunnit
* Lost Threads

Old game that didn't make archive before:
* Of Apes and God

I haven't shooted any emails, would the archive maintainer(s) take care of them, much appreciated.

Mr. E
Regular

#153 Post by Mr. E »

*enters quietly and looks around*
Anyone remember me? :shock:

... Anyways. I'm a bit full this week, and I won't be able to use a computer the following one ( The reason? Three words: end of semester... :x )

I'll see what I can do, but no promises until at least the week after that ( about 13th of December onwards )
I'm sorry, once again.
( My excuse is that I was waiting to see if the bugs in Lost Threads have been corrected, and that I didn't even know about the existence of Chuu Dunnit )...
*falls dead on the floor, revives and walks away*

Mr. E
Regular

#154 Post by Mr. E »

Ah, the joy of posting again, after such a long period of abstinence, absence and... And many other things ending with -ence! :D
Ok, just so nobody calls me completely lazy I have just finished uploading Lost Threads. I would have done the same for Chuu Dunnit except for the fact that I can't find a way to send an e-mail to the creator of the game. Anyone that would help this n00b-ish editor would have my sincere gratitude. :(
Ah, and I now will have MUCH more time to dedicate on the RAA and on the forums in general ( fear the return of the long-winded, verbose posts! :twisted: ) . I've finished my final university projects, overdosed on caffeine regularily the last two weeks and also traveled to Toronto, having returned just a few hours ago. If you'll excuse me I'll retreat to my den and hibernate briefly, but I'd just like to announce that no, I'm not dead and I'm sorry for the gigantic delay, everyone. Things have been hectic lately and I needed this vacation.
I'll try to put everything in order and up-to-date as soon as possible. :|
Thank you for your patience and hope you'll choose RAA for your future Ren'ai allocation services. ( too... much... airplane... :x )

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#155 Post by mikey »

Regarding this RAA thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3024
I asked myself what I can do... well, at the very least so that we don't lose track of what needs to be done, here is my list. I know it's not actually helping, but overviews can't be bad, I think:

Ask for permission to mirror (and upload when acquired):
- Forgotten And Wishful Days
- Midsummer Night's Dream
- Monochrome
- Sight Of Autumn Remake [as an additional download]
- Semester [once major bugs are officially fixed]
- Tying Threads

Analyze if these fit into the RAA: (and if they do, move to the "ask for permission" section)
- Christmas Question
- Dino Briefcase Fiasco
- Chuu Dunnit
- Happy Happy Halloween [parody?]
- Threed's Heroes [parody?]
- Starlight Ep0 [single episode?]

Re-analyze these older titles, if they fit (and if they do, move to the "ask for permission" section)
- Of Apes And God
- Galilei Planetarium
- White Nights [copyright - my status is, I have twice written for a belated permission, filled out the appropriate forms and communicated with the people, but I still have no official answer to the request (i.e. returned form), and it's already been a long time.]
- To Hanzo
- Dragnet
- Destiny Earth: 01 [even though it's on the Ren'Py page it's not really complete?]

Not fitting:
- Masq has thoroughly been discussed and found not fitting because of the online requirement, I suppose there is no reason to re-visit this game. It's actually a pity, since this was one of the very few titles which the authors actively submitted.

---

Anyway, that should be all that's needed to bring RAA up to date.

Mr. E
Regular

#156 Post by Mr. E »

Umm... About those games... :?
Tying Threads is actually in the RAA, I just haven't updated the news yet... I was going to, after playing and possibly submitting Monochrome, but things have been... Ack, you know the story. The sight of autumn remake is already uploaded, completely replacing the older version (on the author's request).
And I didn't know about a few of these other games, to be quite sincere... :?
The christmas question is out of the question (pun intended) It's too small and too holiday related to be actually called a game. As I mentioned before, it's more of a weird christmas card in game format. ( And I wrote it at 5a.m. for heaven's sake... )
The problem with Chuu dunnit, as I mentioned before, is that I couldn't find any avaliable e-mail to submit the request. Other than that, I don't see any problems ( other than it may be too short, but we already have short games in the archives )
Well... I'll try to work more on the RAA in whatever breaks I can find, and I'm terribly sorry for leaving the RAA in such a state... :cry:

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#157 Post by mikey »

Mr. E wrote:... I'm terribly sorry for leaving the RAA in such a state...
See the LSF@5 Pledge thread, hope it's okay with you if I help.
Mr. E wrote:Tying Threads is actually in the RAA, I just haven't updated the news yet... .
I've added the announcement (and the one for TBWLC), and am striking this from my list (not in this topic, though).
Mr. E wrote:The sight of autumn remake is already uploaded, completely replacing the older version (on the author's request)
Check.
Mr. E wrote:The christmas question is out of the question (pun intended) It's too small and too holiday related to be actually called a game. As I mentioned before, it's more of a weird christmas card in game format. ( And I wrote it at 5a.m. for heaven's sake... )
But is it? We have "The Question", we will have Monochrome, we have really small games - aren't those little artworks as well? Compare this to Japanese KN Adagio, which has as far as I remember something like 3 screens (or very little text indeed). It's small, but by no means worthless. It will have my vote.

Chuu Dunnit >> I'll do my best to obtain permission.
Mr. E wrote:Well... I'll try to work more on the RAA in whatever breaks I can find...
I volunteered for this now, so feel free to help whenever you can, but don't force yourself - I should be able to handle this. Enjoy your preparations. :P

PyTom >> As a mini-maintenance, could you please create a "2008" category for the RAA? Thanks!

EDIT: One more thing (this is not needed now though), the maker's websites are automatically checked for validity if you edit the page. Since visualnews is dead and all that, it would be nice if the system would allow dead links (not check them), as to be able to edit a game's page (e.g. correct a typo) and not needing to replace its currently unavailable website with a valid one only to do the whole exercise again once the host is back online.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#158 Post by chronoluminaire »

mikey wrote:EDIT: One more thing (this is not needed now though), the maker's websites are automatically checked for validity if you edit the page. Since visualnews is dead and all that, it would be nice if the system would allow dead links (not check them), as to be able to edit a game's page (e.g. correct a typo) and not needing to replace its currently unavailable website with a valid one only to do the whole exercise again once the host is back online.
As a little note, since visualnews has been dead for months, I've moved the homepages for Elven Relations and WIRTW back to http://toothycat.net/~hologram/ElvenRelations and http://toothycat.net/~hologram/WhenIRuleTheWorld. They'll be staying there for the moment.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#159 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:PyTom >> As a mini-maintenance, could you please create a "2008" category for the RAA? Thanks!
Done. And I also updated the site's copyright date, too.
EDIT: One more thing (this is not needed now though), the maker's websites are automatically checked for validity if you edit the page. Since visualnews is dead and all that, it would be nice if the system would allow dead links (not check them), as to be able to edit a game's page (e.g. correct a typo) and not needing to replace its currently unavailable website with a valid one only to do the whole exercise again once the host is back online.
I don't share your optimism about VNews coming back to life. I will, however, make this change the next time I'm in the renai.us code, which probably will be sometime next month.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#160 Post by monele »

The Christmas Question was nice! Unless you really don't want it in the archives, I'd also vote for it to be there ^^;

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#161 Post by mikey »

PyTom >> Thanks! Regarding VN, actually as a realist, I already removed the sentence with the link in the Submit section that pointed people who were looking for fan translations to them.

Mr. E >> Christmas Question has two votes already, in this thread this is an overwhelming majority. So... do you give the permission? :wink:

Mr. E
Regular

#162 Post by Mr. E »

Mr. E >> Christmas Question has two votes already, in this thread this is an overwhelming majority. So... do you give the permission? :wink:
The majority wins. You have my permission. :P

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#163 Post by mikey »

Hi everyone,

I'd need some help in deciding about a few games - whether they fit into the RAA, or not. I need as many opinions as possible, especially with explanations why. Once we decide, I will ask permissions for mirroring.

Our candidates are:

- Chuu Dunnit http://dl.qj.net/Tools-and-Utilities/pg ... /catid/519
- Threed's Heroes http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =11&t=2874
- Happy Happy Halloween http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =11&t=2874
- Of Apes And God (n/a)
- To Hanzo http://www.studiohunty.com/to_hanzo/to_hanzo.swf

- Dino Briefcase Fiasco http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=4&t=2959
- Starlight Ep.0 http://www.adorablerockets.com/?cat=5
- Dragnet http://www.candles-weblog.us/4445/
- Galilei Planetarium http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 7&start=40

The first 5 games are okay with me, although there may be copyright considerations for some (Earthbound), but then again, we allow this sort of fan fiction.
- Dino is too disorganized/crazy for my tastes
- Starlight leaves this "to be continued" feeling for me
- Dragnet, I have no particular comment on why not, so if people want this, I'd gladly ask for permission.
- Galilei Planetarium, I understand there is still a bug... so it's a technical issue.

Anyway, please tell me what you think - maybe if you haven't played the games, it can be a good incentive to do so... I won't add any of these without at least a minimum discussion, since I'm not 100% sure about them and I'd like to discuss this with others beforehand, the RAA is for everyone.

Thanks!!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#164 Post by DaFool »

Starlight HAS to be on the RAA! :D But I think rocket may add a 1.1 version? Check http://www. adorablerockets.com

Jake
Support Hero

#165 Post by Jake »

mikey wrote: Anyway, please tell me what you think - maybe if you haven't played the games, it can be a good incentive to do so...
I'd love for this to be the case, but I don't really have the time... :/

Anyway, the one I have played:
mikey wrote: - Starlight leaves this "to be continued" feeling for me
I'd include it, personally. I can understand the "no continuing content" idea in the soap-opera sense, but I don't see why things which stand well enough on their own but also have more to come should be barred. I mean - if I make a game, and it's entered into the RAA, does me making a sequel to that game using the same characters and setting mean that the original should be removed? To me, Starlight felt like a typical TV pilot episode - pretty self-contained, but leaving a lot of story space open with the plan to produce more later if it went well.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found