The Ren'Ai Archive (renai.us, RAA) all-in-one thread

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#61 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I think it should be "View" rather than filter, because (right now) it's more of a view then a filter operation. I expect a filter to always reduce the number of games I see, which isn't the case here.
No problem, this isn't too big of an issue for me :)
PyTom wrote:I prefer KN to VN-linear. (We may want to put tooltips on these, to define them better.)
If it's KN, it's fine. I don't want to force this.
PyTom wrote:The "All Games" setting is at the bottom, because I want to discourage people from using it. With 60+ games, I'd rather people browse in a more specific way.
Makes sense.
PyTom wrote:Can you give a screenshot of the font problems you're having? We don't set the font at all, so we should just be respecting the font sizes you have in your settings.
Something like this:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#62 Post by PyTom »

Hm... I kinda want to keep respecting the user's font size settings, and not adjust them, since too small a font on a high-resolution screen can be a problem.

(I don't know why opera thinks it's okay to break words at dashes, either.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#63 Post by mikey »

Well, the date wraps in Opera, and in IE6 as well, only Firefox shows it properly for some reason. I tried it on several computers.

Anyway, also on several computers (brother's, wife's, work's) the font problem is really there. It's not the end of the world, but actually it is much bigger than that any other website I normally browse - I'd like a font of the size of these forums, or visualnews. Whenever I land on renai.us, the font really stands out, on any computer, and any browser.

Here is something for comparison: The LSF standard and the RAA.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#64 Post by PyTom »

Okay, I just checked, at the site is, frankly, ugly in ie (especially ie 5). Could someone have a go at the CSS, and see if they can make it work in more browsers?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re:

#65 Post by mikey »

I'm happy to announce that after a mail exchange problem we were finally able to officially get permission for Poisoned. I'll add the game and put it up as 18+, even though there is no explicit nudity, but I'm sure those who have reached Scenario B will agree that it's safer to rate it 18+, than 16+. When we have the new rating system, maybe that will change, but I don't know... the game isn't really for children.

It's actually interesting how there is nothing above 18+, but from 14 years, you have a category for almost every year... 15+, 16+, 17+, that's a span of three years causing huge complications. But it's not to start a debate, there are reasons for being cautious about content at these specific times/ages, so it's just an observation.
PyTom wrote:Okay, I just checked, at the site is, frankly, ugly in ie (especially ie 5). Could someone have a go at the CSS, and see if they can make it work in more browsers?
I'd also like to encourage some volunteers to help us with this - pretty pleeeease - it's been a month and a half and we don't seem to be progressing - but if we'd have this nicened-up code, PyTom could probably put up the new version of the Archives fairly quickly (I suppose this isn't very complicated, since the structure of the new pages is already done - but correct me if I'm wrong). And with more and more games being added and to come, the functionality and cleanness of the new design proposal would really be nice. Plus, I've mentioned this before I think, even though it's just a mirror, a dignified environment will present the whole community (and in RAA's case actually the whole OELVN fandom) in a positive way. :P

So if you have time and know a bit of CSS, please give it a try. Thanks!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The Ren'Ai Archives (renai.us) all-in-one thread

#66 Post by monele »

Can't access the preview version anymore ô_o (renai.us:8008)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#67 Post by DaFool »

Just checking that 18+ games are not totally partitioned off or not. Maybe a clear warning to the rating should suffice. But otherwise, they should be filterable like the others (i.e. BxB, GxB)

I mean, in the Ren'Py listings, we did not partition off the commercial programs.

So I think the principle might apply to RAA, what do you think?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#68 Post by PyTom »

I brought the new version up again, so hopefully someone can take a look at it and fix it.

Right now, I have the idea that adult content will be present in the lists, but hidden... with a javascript "Adult Content--- click to unhide" thing on top of it.

Ugh... I'm not sure what I did with my migration scripts, so I might have to go and move some of the new content over by hand.

Never mind. I was confusing the two steps of the migration process.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#69 Post by monele »

Ok, so... what's needed? I have IE6 and Firefox 1.5.x at my disposal at home... and IE7 at work. I guess I could take a look on Opera too. Asking for IE5 compatibility might be too demanding though :P.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#70 Post by PyTom »

Hm... mikey was reporting a font problem in opera, so it would be nice if that was fixed.

Really, I'd like someone skilled in the web arts to look over the web page, and give me assurances that it looks good in most web browsers.

Oh, I don't want to put up 18+ content until the new site goes live, just for the record.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#71 Post by monele »

It looks the same for me.. in all the browsers. The font is a bit big... is that the problem? Is there something else? Who deals with the website files?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#72 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:Oh, I don't want to put up 18+ content until the new site goes live, just for the record.
Okay. Keeping my fingers crossed for a soon go-live though. And I don't think there are that many things stopping it, see below...
PyTom wrote:Hm... mikey was reporting a font problem in opera, so it would be nice if that was fixed.
I'm not sure about "problem", it's more an aesthetical thing - I think the fonts is too big. It just is. Really looks quite... barbarian. I've scaled it down in Opera to suggest a comfort level of font size. A simple thing and it makes all the difference IMO.

http://atp.manga.sk/raa/operascaled.png

Second, the main page news wraps the date YYYY-MM-DD after the hyphens, in both opera and ie6. This is completely annoying.

http://atp.manga.sk/raa/opera&ie6.png

Third, the side bar could use some padding, so that the words don't end up kissing the borders. This is both in IE6 (side margins) and in Opera (both side and margin)

http://atp.manga.sk/raa/opera.png

I think if we'd get these three things done, it would make the site a lot more civilized.

I also think that when the site is reasonably okay, we can put it up, and tweak categories or little annoyances as they appear. With this offline test approach, it may take longer to spot and identify things that could be improved - and let's face it, the new site doesn't look WORSE than the old one, so we'd be okay in any case.

Except for the 18+ issue, that has to be solved before, of course.

Hmmm, I'm already writing too much. :?

EDIT: (hey, cool, I was notified that a post was done while I wrote ^_^)
monele wrote:Who deals with the website files?
That would have to be PyTom. I only edit the game-related content.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#73 Post by monele »

Code: Select all

font-size: 0.75em;  /* add this to the body style */

table { font-size: 1em;} /* and add this entry for table styles */
(all this in the "style" part of your pages... but I'd suggest using a separate CSS stylesheet file which you could link too in the <head> part with a <link> tag). If you need more details, I'll give them.

For the date column in the news, add

width="120"
to the first <th> with a date in that table.

<th width="120">here is a date</th>
For the left column, add this to the CSS :

#left ul { margin: 10px; }
It will put some margin around the bullet lists.

I can only test this on Firefox but it's simple CSS so it should work.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#74 Post by PyTom »

Hm... I tried making the changes monele suggested, but they have the effect of shrinking the font size that I see in my browser, to the point where it's uncomfortably small.

Right now, all the font sizes are relative. Mikey, what font size do you have set in Opera?

The site is still broken in IE5, but it's usable, and that's good enough for me for a 5+ year old browser.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#75 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:Right now, all the font sizes are relative. Mikey, what font size do you have set in Opera?
I have default settings. (for pages without specific style - normal font Times New Roman 16, monospace font Courier New 13)

I'd just point out that it's the same (a bit too big) size on IE6 as well as on Firefox (just installed) - not only on my personal computer, or our internet computer, but also on my work computer. So it's not like one browser is problematic - it's the font size in general.

Hmmm, I am starting to suspect that you have some kind of a big resolution? So that what looks normal in 1024x768 (or 1280x1024) looks too small in higher resolutions.

Or it's the font - on my ATP page, I have no font specified, and all looks okay. But the RAA font is different - is it Arial? Maybe that's causing the problems.

Hmmm, but then... you don't complain about these forums - and neither do I - can't we just take the styles from here? Or from the old forum?

As for the zero-margins, they appear also on Firefox.