Untouched demo

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Untouched demo

#1 Post by mikey »

D/L
http://home.kooee.com.au/brandons/index.html

Well, for some reason it seems to freeze at certain points, doesn't want to let me go on. Save/Load works occasionally to fix this, but every now and then I get a black screen and... everything stops. Anyone had the same experience? Because the game is really really good, sort of the True Love type of gameplay, with several inventive features... *looks at black screen and sighs*

Grey
Veteran

#2 Post by Grey »

Consider yourself lucky Mikey, I just downloaded it, and it crashes out every time I try to start a new game...:evil:

Another thing is the Quit button on the main screen doesn't seem to work either (is it the same with you?). Still the New game Button works just as well :rolleyes:

F- for Engine at the moment >_>

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

Cg & quit doesn't work for me either but I think those are supposed to be added later? Load and New game works fine for me.

The first time I played the game, it stopped when I got to the screen where you choose an activity. It kept telling me I must choose even though I've already choosen!

After some tries of loading the second game, I managed to continue. Yay! But then there were images that froze on the screen instead of hiding or unloading - real bummer - and then the game froze again. T_T

The art is definitely good with interesting dialogue as far as I got anyways. Hopefully they'll fix the problems... Hopefully soon.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#4 Post by Sai »

Well it starts up for me and I can start a New Game and I got through the morning assembly and roll-call class without any problems. However I got back to my dorm room and opted to save and then it wanted me to select a class or something and the OK button wouldn't work... kept telling me to select only one thing even though I had o_O (I guess it's a complication with the fact that the 1st Morning slot is taken up already on your first time at your dorm room, a complication that was perhaps overlooked) ... But loading from my save and trying again worked.
I played for a little longer and did a few days, going to study room twice to see mystery girl, resting, and meeting teacher but then it got stuck when I went back to my room...
Now it just seems to get stuck if I try and progress o_O

Other Minor Problems:
The teacher has no name when she talks it just goes ": Hello"
Minor typo "I've have to go" after bumping into the teacher

Anyway other than the bugs, it looks really great. Nice system as you say, great graphics, seems interesting so far.

Grey
Veteran

#5 Post by Grey »

Sounds like a incredibly buggy demo. Shame on the programmer >_>

Still I shall try to download it again, though I doubt it will help. The art does look nice though (though I've only seen the screenshots so far :roll: ).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by mikey »

I am using Win98, if that's any help - well... I managed to get a little further (about 2 days), with save/load/restart, but that's it. But enough complaining... I'm really looking forward t o a finished game - hope the makers get the feedback, because I couldn't get to the forums... oh well...

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#7 Post by Sai »

I'm using Windows XP

I can get on the forum.... Want me to post your bug reports frtom this thread on it?

Grey
Veteran

#8 Post by Grey »

Why not just link to this thread, we seem to have a fair collection. I don't seem to have any problems getting to the forum either :roll:

Anyway, I downloaded it again...same problem.

Then I cobbled together an Win ME machine out of spare parts...and exactly the same error. So a no go on three different computers :evil:

Edit: GRR! Winzip wasn't extracting it to it's subfolders Data and Save properly, but dumping it all in one folder >_> An error message saying cannot find /data/whatever, or a self extracting zip file would have saved so much hassle >_>

Still I can try playing it at last...
Last edited by Grey on Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#9 Post by Sai »

OK I linked to this thread.... yep.
Anyway, should be a fun game once the bugs are weeded out ^_^

Grey
Veteran

#10 Post by Grey »

OK, I got the first selection bug as well, trying to choose only an afternoon. A close and a reload fixed it.

Also trying to save a game in slot 2 while having the same game (but a few days back) in slot one has no effect, slot 2 isn't overwritten.

On Feb 2nd there are lot's of interesting things.

Choosing class and park, on the black screen between the two things loading a game opens up a new Untouched window, with the classroom animation in, but frozen. It doesn't continue when you click, and trying to load a game doesn't work. The exit button then closes both windows.

The new window has a frozen classroom animation in it. Exactly what you get after doing the park. Trying to load a game doesn't do anything.

Choosing class, then tuition results in just the freezing identical to the result above.

Free Period then Tuition results in a blank screen. No move on, and trying to load opens up another blank window.

Ditto for Free Period and Park

...I think I'll start a new game now, my options having run out... :roll:

Also there seem to be problems with unloading images, on Jan 30th after going to English the day before, when going to the free period in the morning the picture of Riona at her desk is over the one of the study centre and the sleepy girl. This also happens going to the study centre on the morning of Feb 1st. Then the teachers picture covers it up.

Edit: On the 29th after talking to Riona at the first assembly choosing 'sit and watch from afar' makes you go and sit next to her anyway, same as choosing the first option. The same with the first set of options the day after when you meet the sleepy girl the second time.

On Feb 1st choosing free then anything After the meeting with the teacher the game just goes to a blank screen.

Going the nearly all acedemic route and choosing free on Feb 2nd freezes the game on a blank screen (with the Riona picture if you went to english with her) and a white text box.

Also money doesn't seem to save (not that it matters), you start with $1000, and when you first load the game you have $0

Down to niggly continuity errors now, you can sleep at the assembly, and not go to Riona's English class, but going to the park on the 2nd Feb the player still knows her name.

Hahaha, Isn't collecting bugs a fun hobby. I don't think I'm gonna get past that Feb 2nd though...

Danny_Mc_B

Yes I know it's my fault.

#11 Post by Danny_Mc_B »

Hello all,
Lead programmer on project untouched here. Yes its ok, I have my flame retardant suit ready so you can go right ahead and flame me right out of existence.

I am sincerly sorry for all the problems with the demo. Yes it's true my first attempt went, very quickly, down the clackker.
The reason, though, that there have been no new updates and such is that i am completely redoing the game engine. (Yes please hold your sighs of relief.)

Because of the major incompatability issues and the fact that bugs just appear and disapear I have decided to migrate the game engine th the new .NET framework. So the new engine will have cross platform compatability and will also run faster wnd with less bugs.

The problem I am having though is that it is taking ALOT longer than I thought. I am willing to accept the shear depths that I am in here, just floating down shit creek hoping a passing bear will think I'm a salmon.

If anyone has extensive knowledge in the .NET framework, primarily VB.NET could they give me a buzz at untouched@kooee.com.au as any help would be greatly appreciated.

Again I'm sorry, very sorry.

Sorry

Grey
Veteran

#12 Post by Grey »

Haha, don't worry about it, one sorry's enough. I'm sorry that some of my comments were a little harsh :?

I'd like to be able to help, but all my programming knowledge lies in actionscript (Flash5) and Delphi. My Kasuka game for instance is written in Flash, (which wasn't that hard for me to code an engine that served my needs in) then embedded in a Delphi program which provides the saving functionality and some other bells and whistles.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#13 Post by Sai »

Hi Danny
No need to apologise in my opinion, making this effort to produce a game everyone can enjoy for free isn't something to apologise for.
I would just like to see it running smoothly too so we will support you and be looking out for your future release. It is looking fun so far and once the backbone has been given some healing it will support the rest of the neatfeatures well I'm sure.
Sorry I can't help with programming, I am still a beginner with programming and even then I doubt it will ever be something I could say is my "forte" - Just a means to an end =)
It is a lot to take on I'm sure so best of luck and remember to enjoy yourself =)

Danny_Mc_B

#14 Post by Danny_Mc_B »

Thanks for the kind words. Yes unfortunately the migration is taking a little longer than expected, if you still want to see some stuff from the game you can check out the comic that out art guy did.
The online comic of the same name can be found here: http://bluebuster.net/untouched
I'll make sure you guys are kept posted on the progress though.

DannyMcB

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by mikey »

Danny>> well, bug extermination is what demos are for, right? About the .net framework, I have bad experiences trying to run Together Forever demo from mutoanime.com, so good luck with that too. I think TF uses the .net framework, because you have to install some .net package or so. Oh well... And hey, welcome to the forums!