Proto-pseudo-game that never got finished

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mr. E
Regular

Proto-pseudo-game that never got finished

#1 Post by Mr. E »

This would have been my IntRenAiMo project. The one that I droped due to many factors better seen here:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &start=195
But I decided to transform the mortal remains of the game into this, just so that the (small) effort that went into it would not be wasted. I'm not sending this to the games section because it is not truly a game. It has no beginning, no end and it's only vaguely coherent.
If you are terminally bored or wish to see something different then feel free to download it. Any ideas included in my game can be freely used. I am officially abandoning this game, which is only a carcass of a project anyway. Here are the links:
Windows:
http://rapidshare.com/files/29749290/Fi ... n.zip.html
Linux:
http://rapidshare.com/files/29750211/Fi ... r.bz2.html
Mac:
http://rapidshare.com/files/29750757/Fi ... c.zip.html

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

Sad to hear about your game not getting the full treatment, but I'm curious anyway.

Come to think of it, there have been a few 'officially abandoned projects' where the scripts were donated.

Maybe having a 'Game Junkyard / Graveyard / Institute for Rehabilitation' might be a good idea in the future. I know several people who are frankly great writers / gamemakers but hide all their abandoned projects...some of them actually at a stage much advanced than some released games.

EDIT2: Rapidshare is currently filled to capacity, but is still ok. Disregard previous EDIT.

parvenue
Regular

#3 Post by parvenue »

Incomplete or not, I liked the flow of the "game". Great use of historical mentionings (Marquis de Sade, Sadako, Jack the Ripper, etc). I especially liked the writing style...none of the words sounded forced at all. The idea behind the "game" was nice as well and I could understand it within a few of the "scenes".

You're not continuing with it, so I won't bother complaining about anything. All I must say was that I enjoyed it. It was an amusing way to kill time while bored. Although a carcass, it stands as a flowing collection of minor visual shorts. I liked it! :D
parvenue
showcase

SHjunkie
>>>>SOLSTICE<<<<

Need a PREMIUM Rapidshare host? PM me - I'll host your files free of charge.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Simply amazing! :D... Man, I've been playing Fate/Stay Night the whole afternoon and when I paused to try this, I got more enticed than ever XD.
See, I'm the kind of person who would not enjoy going to a museum or library... maybe not even a park. But this kind of place? Despite the being dead, it's just sooo interesting o_o...
You portrayed an incredible number of various characters in just a few screens and they all leave an impression. I'm pretty sure I'll remember at least a few of them in the coming days and maybe longer.
I'm also a lover of real-world inspirations... which means that seeing legends and known people (real or imaginary) is something I adore. Obviously, the few references to Sade, Sadako, Evariste Galois and so on were a blast.
But the other "unknown" characters were also very nice... either because of some questions they raised or some mystery about them (the guy looking at his younger self).

What I imagined as I went through this is that I would love to play a point & click adventure game or a RPG (western, like Planescape Torment) with this kind of setting and these types of characters. It would be great to be able to interact with them and do things in that kind of place... Maybe help Sadako by protecting her cranes and so on...
Mm, I'm also reminded of the Sanitarium video game. It has the same kind of surreal yet extremely interesting setting.

This was quite inspirational actually. If I didn't lack the knowledge and litterature needed for this, I'd make a game on this concept ô_o...

Eep, I realize I haven't tried your complete game, Tomorrow, yet. Well, this shouldn't last for long ^_^
EDIT:

Dammit you! This actually got my creative juices boiling XD... *taking notes on a new project*
(thank you!!)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by DaFool »

Yup, my sentiments exactly.

I would love to play a really grim Brothers Grimm type surreal adventure game.

The writers on this forum are amazing, aren't they? :D (The West:1 Japan: 0)

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by EwanG »

Well, Dante's Inferno would definitely fit in this category... Or you could adapt the Niven/Pournelle update (which would be good timing since they have a follow-up coming in the next few months).

Mr. E
Regular

#7 Post by Mr. E »

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I'm glad this defunct project could still be of some use to people.
DaFool: I like the idea of a "game graveyard". It would be very intresting to see what games were dumped and what was the reason. The fact that it's a little motivation boost isn't that bad either. :wink: Although we should be very careful about that, because giving good feedback to people that abandon their games could make the option of giving up more tempting. :( I think people should try to finish their games as much as they can, and only give up and publish the dead project when they are absolutely sure they can't keep on. And even then, they should polish the game as much as they can. I tried to give it a resemblance of linearity and searched the net for pictures and music before posting it, so that it wouldn't be an awful experience for those involved. If you want people to see it, even if it is a dead project, why not make it easier for them?

parvenue: These encounters were to be randomly added between other important scenes (the only special scene made was the one with emma at the end) so that's why it's like that. But I really enjoyed the surreal possibilities of the game. :)

monele: I'm glad my game helped your inspiration a bit. That was one of the objectives of this: to show people something crazy and see how they react. I think you could do a much better game than this (just look at MagBou) so I think this "lack of knowledge and literature" is nonsense. No need to copy this game's concept when you can do something much better, right? :wink: Oh, and I've played and loved Sanitarium too (I thought I was the only one!) :o

EwanG: Niven/Pournelle? :? Solly, me no undestand. (although I loved "the divine comedy" :D )

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by EwanG »

Mr. E wrote:EwanG: Niven/Pournelle? :? Solly, me no undestand. (although I loved "the divine comedy" :D )
Niven and Pournelle did a book called "Inferno" that was based loosely on Dante's version with a SF writer as the protagonist, and updated to include more modern villans such as Billy the Kid. They're doing an "Inferno II" that will come out sometime late this year as I understand it.

FWIW,
Ewan

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

DaFool : You might want to take a look at EverAfter. A webcomic with a retake of popular nursery rhymes in a very twisted way ^^.

Mr. E : I'll start by approving your choice of music since I forgot ^^... Does it actually change through the game?... It seemed so when I skipped through it ô_o
Yeah.... I skipped through it because I totally missed Emma!!... XD...
So many french people in this ô_o... No wait... There's no Emma Baudelaire XD... Ooh, I got tricked ^^;...

Btw, that last scene is actually full of hooks... Argh... It makes me want to visit all the mentionned places and learn more about the APs and all that stuff ;o;...
You did say that people could take this and do whatever they wanted with it eh?... Part of me is seriously considering picking up on this ô_o... if only as an hommage... but part of me is too scared that I wouldn't be up to par and it'd feel more dishonest than anything ^^;...
Anyway... I'll think about this... Do you have, maybe, notes for the game? Other related things you wouldn't mind parting with? Otherwise, I'll just make a reference to Final Station ^^

(aah, I'm already talking like I have everything planned... sheesh...)

And no, you're not the only Sanitarium player ;). I never finished it but it's definitely an experience I won't forget :).

Mr. E
Regular

#10 Post by Mr. E »

EwanG: Thanks for the tip. Sounds like an intresting story. I'll look into it. :D

monele: It's only one music for the entire game because I didn't want it to be too heavy. And incidentally Emma Baudelaire's name was based on the poet Charles Baudelaire, although I admit that her personality is of my creation. If you liked this concept so much feel free to use it, model it and change it to your desires. It's nothing new (was already used in the comic book "Sandman" by Neil Gaiman) so don't worry about "being up to par" or anything like that. I have the whole old concept inside my head and a few sketches by the old artist. If you want, I could send both to you, although, as I said before, I think you can come up with something better than I did so I wouldn't recommend it.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by monele »

Sandman hey?... Someone told me about it a few days ago o_o... I had no idea it was about this though ^^;

Well, I'm mostly interested in what you had imagined for the APs maybe... Right now I'm trying to get a feel for the kind of game I'd like to do... the game system (I could make a regular VN but I really like the idea of mixing up genres nowadays ^^).
Actually, was it supposed to be a Ren'Ai story, with Emma and all? Were you supposed to help the poor souls around the place maybe?

ashogo

Re: Proto-pseudo-game that never got finished

#12 Post by ashogo »

Can I request a reposting of the mac version? The sendspace file is gone and I'm interested in this abandoned game from the great Mr. E.

Spiralbunny
Regular

#13 Post by Spiralbunny »

ashogo wrote:Can I request a reposting of the mac version? The sendspace file is gone and I'm interested in this abandoned game from the great Mr. E.
I second that! *3* I also want to see thisss.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by monele »

I have the PC version at home if anyone is interested.

Spiralbunny
Regular

#15 Post by Spiralbunny »

monele wrote:I have the PC version at home if anyone is interested.
PC version would work for me! I'd be very grateful :D