Behind the Video Game Industry

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Boomsickle
Regular
Completed: Victorian Olives

Re: Behind the Video Game Industry

#16 Post by Boomsickle »

I think this board has evolved into much more than a hard core hobby board. There are people starting kick starters and even people dropping a few hundred dollars on their game. It is much more than a simple hobby for those that release commercial works and even those that do it for free will sometimes ask for "donations" and those that have seriously considered or are still considering doing this for a living. This forum might of started out as a hobby forum but in the last year it has grown to become much more than that.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#17 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

For some, yes. But I believe the majority are doing it for fun and/or experience.

Either way, the same methodology can't successfully work in every case.
This is a forum with around 15,000 individuals.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#18 Post by papillon »

even people dropping a few hundred dollars on their game
There have been people spending a LOT more than that for many years. :)

EroBotan
Veteran

#19 Post by EroBotan »

Boomsickle wrote:I think this board has evolved into much more than a hard core hobby board. There are people starting kick starters and even people dropping a few hundred dollars on their game. It is much more than a simple hobby for those that release commercial works and even those that do it for free will sometimes ask for "donations" and those that have seriously considered or are still considering doing this for a living. This forum might of started out as a hobby forum but in the last year it has grown to become much more than that.
these people are called indie game developer or doujin circle, they're different from big companies who are famous with their strict hierarchy structure. The spirit of indie/doujin is freedom, fun, and tons of hardwork, we still have hierarcy but it is not that strict and the relation between its member is more of a friend/partner instead of boss and servant. We let the artists, musicians, and writers do what they think best for the project.

I believe if someone decide to do what the OP said, the project will fail really hard .. unless the project leader has tons of money to make all the butthurt members stays ...
ShippoK wrote:Oh god... EA

You poor soul, it explains everything now!
Slowly, everything begins to make sense D:

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#20 Post by dramspringfeald »

Oh god I would never work for EA, I have SOME soul left. What EA did was foolish and now they are paying for it. I'm betting they will be relaunching here in a few years after the bankruptcy clears. *they are not in it yet but after the last run*

They have very little choice really. Taking on over 200 companies and their "assets" over the last year can not be helping them and really I feel sorry for their main studios. They'll have to cut staff just to stay above water soon and I mean a LOT of staff too. BUT hey that's what happens when you look to be the ONLY Developer on the market.
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

Kato
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds
Organization: Blue Sphere Group

#21 Post by Kato »

papillon wrote:
even people dropping a few hundred dollars on their game
There have been people spending a LOT more than that for many years. :)
If only my projects set me back so little. I've broken the thousand mark on music alone :lol:
Image Image
Kato, Producer & Programmer for Blue Sphere Group. Current Projects: Memories of Summer Winds

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#22 Post by ShippoK »

Speaking of EA...

EA buys Star Wars

I'm so sorry Star Wars fans...
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

Fairy Godfeather
Regular

#23 Post by Fairy Godfeather »

Thanks for answering Dramspringfeald

I'm here because I'm an amateur, and it seems like a community for amateurs. I mean that in the sense of a group of people doing something for the sheer love of it. Even if they're making games for money, even if it's a business, most people seem to have fun and enjoy what they're doing.

I like positive environments. I like looking at all the threads with the games people are working on and see the enthusiasm for their projects, and all the ideas everyone have. Some people will succeed, some will fail, experience is a great teacher. I hope they don't become bitter and jaded. I like the optimism. I like that people have dreams.

I think experience is a better teacher than any rant will be. I can't see what you typed as changing anyone's opinions or opening anyone's eyes to what you see as the realities. I can only see it as serving to alienate people.

Was that your intention? Or was it to just blow off some steam and vent your own frustrations? Why does it matter how other people do things?

Vialixia
Regular

#24 Post by Vialixia »

Well, I work in the game industry and my experience has been pretty much the complete opposite to yours. All of us work as a team, we are friends AND co-workers, and when you spend a hell of a lot of time with the people, which you do in the game industry, you learn to work on another level with people. You learn to appreciate all their faults and strengths.

I work for Ubisoft, and I love my job. Of course there are tough times, but on the whole the whole experience so far has been amazing. If you don't really love games, of course things are going to be difficult. If you don't see your co-workers as friends, or at least make a few friends along the way, IMO you are doing it wrong.

What were you to rant about the industry so much? External QC? Lol.

unknown5
Veteran
Completed: (see sig)
Projects: slit-mouth girl, purifier, etc.

#25 Post by unknown5 »

really, really enjoyed reading your post. :D

heheh, you should turn your rant-post into a vn demo.
"Amazing Bardie Fun Time Adventure" or somethin or other ...

i'd play it.
(as long as it's not too long. i have no attention span.)
(or if there are Bardie nude codes and you can look up her dress) o_O

except it needs a satisfying ending. don't want to leave things unresolved.

maybe do the LOTR thing and fling a symbolic thingy into a symbolic mt. doom
and the entire corrupt, life-sucking apparatus comes crashing down.

except it doesnt.

but the protagonist is ok with that and life goes on.
(more of a personal catharsis ending. nothing really changes except the person's view on life.)

or there'd be bad ends with 'sauron wins', 'everybody dies',
something involving curt schilling (poor dude. liked him as a player.).

i kinda like stories where the author puts his or her skin in the game and
challenges the reader to put their soul at stake as well
- a playing/reading experience where one can gain or lose a little part of their soul.

that's why i really liked your post and think it would make an interesting short vn/kn.

would it be for the mass market? no. but who gives a -?
unless that's the objective. then it matters.

maybe a movie.

dunno. i'm just rambling now.
information wants to be free, yo.