Choices that do not matter

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SHiNKiROU
Regular

Choices that do not matter

#1 Post by SHiNKiROU »

How many choices that do not count toward the ending should be in a VN? For example, a choice of redeeming a person or letting him die, it allows the reader to express moral values, but does not affect the ending. Another common example is choosing an event to participate, and the event to participate only changes what you see for one chapter.

I have a friendship subplot that takes one out of three chapters, but I believe it won't affect the ending, except I can write an epilogue mentioning it.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

Re: Choices that do not matter

#2 Post by Nuxill »

I would say "whatever feels right to you" even though that's kind of a cop out answer.

When you feel like it would be a good place to allow the player to have a choice is where you should put them, whether that choice will allow for something to happen to the characters later on or allow the player to see a different piece of the story that they might not have seen otherwise. If that makes sense?

As long as it does something for the story it's cool with me. Though I would probably give the player a bit of a breather between choices, so based on how many you have you might try to space them out appropriately.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

All choices matter. They matter to the player who takes them because they give him a way to interact with the story. While some players expect that their decisions should also have an effect on the outcome of the story, definitely not everybody does, and a story usually doesn't get worse if the player can take a few decisions here and there, even if they don't change anything. Most players are satisfied with a few additional/changed lines of dialogue.

I remember one old mikey game, though I can't say which. The last decision in the game was: "I choose girl a / I choose girl b". The game ended immediately after this choice. No additional lines, no CG, no effect on the story whatsoever because "I choose X" was literally the last line in the game. And I still found this very satisfying because it allowed you, as the player, to continue the story in your head.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: The Echo, CBlue, Safety_Dance

#4 Post by dramspringfeald »

...Where to begin?
How many choices that do not count toward the ending should be in a VN?
As many as it takes. Every action you are having the player make MUST have an outcome. Hell even FF7 had them. (Look up the date mechanics)
For example, a choice of redeeming a person or letting him die, it allows the reader to express moral values, but does not affect the ending.
This again? Are you the Same one who was asking "what value is a characters life?" then asked is it okay "to knock off grandma?" to show that the "worlf" isn't as safe and to "teach" the player a lesson? Again, unless it has meaning then don't do it. Plane and Simple. Unless there is something in it for the Character and the player alike then leave them alone. I bet you want to microwave a cat or something.
Another common example is choosing an event to participate, and the event to participate only changes what you see for one chapter.
Wrong, in most games there are sub counters that add or subtract points with a person of interest and by losing or winning you gain points or not with that girl. That or Winning unlocks items/powers/MacGuffins to unlock super toys in the game. I'm not sure what games you have been playing but remember they ALWAYS count.
I have a friendship subplot that takes one out of three chapters, but I believe it won't affect the ending, except I can write an epilogue mentioning it.
Then don't have it. Unless that friend sub plot Either ends with him pushing the main character to win the target OR he himself gets one then LEAVE IT OUT. You can maybe make that "friend" the hero of his own game but beyond that "Unless it moves the story; Nix it"
Don't be a Poser! Learn to Draw
Learn to Draw with Stan Lee
Learn to Draw with Mark Crilley
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

Learn to break a bone to break a bone,
Learn to build a house to build a house,
Learn to make a Game to make a Game.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#5 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Not every choice has to change the final result, but they should feel that they make a difference.
Take Mass Effect 3 as an example. You get pretty much the same ending no matter what you choose, but the journey changes depending on choices.

Even in my case, there will be story arcs that may be accessible or possibly missed depending on choices. They may not all affect the ending, but they will change the experience.

If the choices just change the next line of dialogue, then it's not really worthwhile, and players are going to feel like what they so doesn't matter.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by dramspringfeald »

TrickWithAKnife wrote:then it's not really worthwhile, and players are going to feel like what they so doesn't matter.
Unless that IS the point of the game but I have yet to see ANYONE pull that off well. God that would be a downer game.
If you want you can brows my art. My art can be found at...FA // IB // DA Neglected for a few years so I'm just now updating it

EroBotan
Veteran

#7 Post by EroBotan »

SHiNKiROU wrote:How many choices that do not count toward the ending should be in a VN?
Ideally, it will be as much as the game need it. If the game needs 5 of them then ideally you should give it 5, not more since it can make your game feels longer than needed AKA boring ^^;( less probably okay though since it will also increase the chance of you completing the game since you will have less stuff to write)
SHiNKiROU wrote:For example, a choice of redeeming a person or letting him die, it allows the reader to express moral values, but does not affect the ending. Another common example is choosing an event to participate, and the event to participate only changes what you see for one chapter.

I have no problem with this, some RPG do this and they work well ( neverwinter nights - well, actually most RPG made by bioware :P, princess maker series ). It helps lessen your burden as a developer since you don't have to make tons of ending for every choice. It also gives the feeling that your game is complex even though you only has 1 or 2 major endings. So yeah, do it :D

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

As with Mass Effect, the choices don't necessarily have to modify the story itself. Even though the ending was pulled off very badly in ME, choices can affect the characters without changing the overarching plot, or just modifying the plot to have different events occur. It doesn't necessarily have to diverge completely into a BAD END.

dramspringfeald
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by dramspringfeald »

There are about 13000 paths in ME- ME3. Everything you do effects the next. everything from who makes it to the end to what anyone says to you and missions. yes there are 6/9 total core endings but each of those is shaped by YOUR actions.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#10 Post by Razz »

I think of they don't matter they should at least be INTERESTING. Asking stuff like "whats your favorite food kento-kun?"
1. sashimi
2. rice
3.hamburgers

"oh that is great kento-kun". Pointless and uninteresting. Same goes with "which path should we take?"
1. the left path
2. the right path

"Why did you pick 1 kento-kun? Lets go right." Zzzzz.

EroBotan
Veteran

#11 Post by EroBotan »

Razz wrote:I think of they don't matter they should at least be INTERESTING. Asking stuff like "whats your favorite food kento-kun?"
1. sashimi
2. rice
3.hamburgers

"oh that is great kento-kun". Pointless and uninteresting. Same goes with "which path should we take?"
1. the left path
2. the right path

Don't worry, all of the choices are matters, they just don't effect the major ending. probably they're kinda like side quest if you want to compare it in RPG. Yeah, the thread title is kinda misleading I think.

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#12 Post by Fox Lee »

If the main character is an avatar, or my character (like in a western RPG) then I love getting meaningless choices. For me there is value in getting to contribute to the story, even if it's only the ability to express your character/avatar more appropriately and has next to no effect on anything.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

KimiYoriBaka
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Castle of Arhannia

#13 Post by KimiYoriBaka »

If the choices just change the next line of dialogue, then it's not really worthwhile, and players are going to feel like what they so doesn't matter.
even so, I would think having some of the choices do this would be fine, as that gives off more the feel that it's hard to tell when choices matter, just like in real life.

also, I think games with frequent choices should avoid having too long of intervals between choices because that can break the game's flow. (e.g. katawa shoujo shizune route) in that case, a few meaningless choices could be necessary to fill in the gaps.

ViRiX Dreamcore
Regular
Projects: Lost Girl

#14 Post by ViRiX Dreamcore »

Every choice can't have huge direct effects on the ending, otherwise each choice will lead to a potentially different ending. In my project, while some of the choices may not affect the ending, they do lead to some different paths and other interesting bits of dialogue. Also if you think of it like a line, then all the different choices have to tie in to a few different endings when the story is over anyway.

I often have issues trying to figure what should and shouldn't be choices. I have one choice that I might remove, just because I can't think of any meaningful storylines to go with it. I simply put it in there 'cause I could. You probably want to avoid that and making EVERY SINGLE thing a choice unless you have a plan as to how you're going to use these... otherwise it stops feeling like a VN and starts feeling like a quiz.
Music and sound effects
SoundCloud | YouTube | Facebook
Free SFX and music
OpenGameArt
Let me know if you'd like some help.

wordlesswriter
Regular
Projects: ~La Dame de la Mer~

#15 Post by wordlesswriter »

Razz wrote:I think of they don't matter they should at least be INTERESTING. Asking stuff like "whats your favorite food kento-kun?"
1. sashimi
2. rice
3.hamburgers

1. the left path
2. the right path

I can somewhat forgive this sort of thing if it serves a purpose or leads to some amusing dialogue. For example, there's this one moment in Virtue's Last Reward where Phi is trying to explain the multiple worlds theory to the MC, and she tells you to "just do something". The game gives you around 10 action options- one of which was "Moonwalk"- which results in the following dialogue:
MC: *slide* *slide* *slide*

Phi: What the hell was that?!

MC: I was doing the moonwalk.

Phi: You're supposed to move backwards!

MC: I was! Watch-
MC: *slide* *slide* *slide*

Phi: Ugh, whatever! (Continues explanation as scripted.)
In your first example, it'd be a lot better if, through your choice, we learn something else about the character. Like if they go off on a tangent about how their mom makes the best hamburgers, or if they don't like sashimi because they don't like how slimy it is. That sort of thing.

In response to the OP, I think that those sorts of options are great, as long as the game doesn't force you all the time (see the second example Razz gave) and the results can develop either the protagonist or other characters.