Techniques in making authentic GxB game

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#46 Post by Blue Lemma »

If virgins can write hentai, boys can write GxB :P

It probably helps to have a sister or two, though... They are sometimes willing to shed some insight on the female thought process :D

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#47 Post by papillon »

eh, well, one of the biggest keys to writing a believable girl is NOT trying to force your writing to have girly attributes!

nothing screams "I was written by a man" more than certain kinds of over-the-top girly behavior.

have you ever been at a gaming convention and watched certain kinds of GMs try to speak as a female NPC? They crank their voices up into a ridiculous falsetto, flutter their lashes, and wiggle their hips (and remember, these are usually large balding men we're talking about here) and generally make me want to SMACK them. Other GMs completely ban any crossplay activities because they are sick of male players who want to play girls but can't think past tits and giggling, and are sure that they're being great roleplayers if they constantly simper and ask to feel the muscles of the other characters....

Just avoid writing your characters sitting with their legs spread wide or scratching their balls and you'll probably be fine.

(As for 'romance with girl disguised as boy' - there's at least two live-action movies and one anime on that theme I can think of off the top of my head. Not to mention Shakespeare. It's a pretty classic romantic comedy element.)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#48 Post by papillon »

If virgins can write hentai,

... as my fanfic review archive will attest, some of them really, really can't. :)

Punching a girl in the stomach is NOT how you stimulate the g-spot!

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#49 Post by Nafai »

Sethaniel wrote:
I just don't know if you really need to worry about thinking differently.
Agreed - that actually supports my point from above. The thinking is usually quite similar, it's the feel of the game that can be done to appeal to women.
Depending on the culture (not only nationality/ethnic group but also social class as well), men and women can actually posses substantially different thought processes, especially when it comes to relationships. The whole Mars-Venus thing is certainly not a rule, and certainly not innate, but when one is raised in a culture that affirms certain behavior from this gender, and not from another - it can have a lasting effect.

In my particular circle of friends and acquaintances, there are quite a few differences. Sticking to matters related to relationships, the girls tend to be more inclined to stay in bad relationships rather than just cutting out, like the guys. When relationships end, the girls tend to feel that it was their fault more often than the guys do. The girls also talk about the problems they are experiencing with their partner much much more often than the guys, who tend to deal with these problems alone. The guys are usually more stressed when they are trying to win the girl - once the relationship begins its the girl who usually acts stressed. The girls tend to think they have to change to conform to the guys wants, while the guys simply want the girls to stop changing them.

I'm not saying these are good attitudes/ thought processes, nor that they are prevalent anywhere beyond my circle, but I do think that there are a lot of culturally imposed differences in a typical boy and typical girl. I saw that quite clearly when a friend of mine came to me for my advice on a bad relationship. I was shocked that so many of her girl friends were telling her to change to suit the needs of her partner, when it was obviously a lopsided relationship.

But then, I'm a product of my environment as well I suppose ^_^

[/quote]

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#50 Post by DaFool »

papillon wrote:eh, well, one of the biggest keys to writing a believable girl is NOT trying to force your writing to have girly attributes!
Well there goes my plan of narrating an extensive monologue whenever the protagonist has her period 8)

Anyways, having a sensible heroine will be the safest choice.

BlueLemma: How about a virgin boy writing a GxB hentai?

Mirielle
Regular
Deviantart: miirne
Soundcloud: mirne-1

#51 Post by Mirielle »

Girls can be just as perverted as guys.

Currently, we have a relatively good looking 18 yr old student teacher teaching my senior chemistry class at an all girls school. (How much does that sound like an eroge plot?)

Quite a few girls flirt relentlessly with him, but they do it subtley and then gossip to their friends during lunchtimes about how "OMG, he is SO HOT". Girls are more open about feelings for males within the company of their own kind and will try and act cool when in front of a guy, yet act subtly girly enough to grab their attention.

The key is not to overdo anything.

And the best advice is to ask a girl (who has the same sort of personality as the main preferrably) what she would do in a certain situation.

Or ask a few of varying personalities if you want a multi-choice thing.
Available for voice acting - Please listen to my demo reel!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#52 Post by mikey »

Nafai wrote:Depending on the culture (not only nationality/ethnic group but also social class as well), men and women can actually posses substantially different thought processes, especially when it comes to relationships. The whole Mars-Venus thing is certainly not a rule, and certainly not innate, but when one is raised in a culture that affirms certain behavior from this gender, and not from another - it can have a lasting effect.
I agree with this, and sure it's true for certain situations, and it also depends on the social circumstances - a mere mentioning of "female thought processes" in my feminist surroundings effectively makes me marked for death :) Then again, we laugh a lot about all the stereotypes and often try to "keep the tradition" by doing stereotypical things, like going to see Die Hard without our wives (while they go shopping without us). Beyond stereotypes though, it's really difficult to assess what's typically male or female - the example of the social group is very good, since in my circles we really have a lot of determined and strong leader-type women and so far we've only really been able to agree on that the difference between men and women is that men can entirely concentrate on one thing easier than the women (which doesn't mean women can't concentrate on just one thing, it only means men can do it quicker). It's the typical boy with a toy thing - more often than the women we can be caught in a completely different universe, while our wives usually think about several things in parallel and it takes them longer to get consumed in something.

So in general in my sourroundings the differences are really quite small and in most of the situations, even relationship-wise there are no real differencees. But of course that doesn't mean that other groups have it the same - like in your example for instance, the girl wanting advice. So perhaps it really depends more on what group your in-game characters are, than their gender.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#53 Post by monele »

whenever the protagonist has her period
I've been trying not to talk about this but arrrgh, here it is :P

I actually think this could be interesting... for some reason. First, because it's not often mentioned and seems almost taboo, and I don't understand why. Second, it would definitely impact things in this story since sex while on period should be a different matter (right, ladies?). Third, this would just be a nice realistic and serious topic... and educative for the guys who would play it... I think...

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#54 Post by Hime »

monele wrote: I actually think this could be interesting... for some reason. First, because it's not often mentioned and seems almost taboo, and I don't understand why. Second, it would definitely impact things in this story since sex while on period should be a different matter (right, ladies?). Third, this would just be a nice realistic and serious topic... and educative for the guys who would play it... I think...
Oh yes, I agree with this. It would be very unrealistic if she never had her period. Period, after all, might affect, and very usually affects, a woman's emotional and sexual life a lot. Besides, many guys don't really know at all about how painf-... I mean what it's really like, so it would be definitely educative! ^^

Sethaniel
Regular

#55 Post by Sethaniel »

You know, wasn't this thread started by the same person doing the Nettestadt Troll story?

Imagine how that plot would be affected by the girl's having her period.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by DaFool »

Sethaniel wrote:You know, wasn't this thread started by the same person doing the Nettestadt Troll story?

Imagine how that plot would be affected by the girl's having her period.
BINGO! :D

(Although, the game I was talking about at the beginning is different from the Nettestadt Troll. Although they are both GxB).
Natural family planning will have an influence on whether you get a "Baby" Ending.

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#57 Post by Otaku Dash »

Hime wrote:
monele wrote: I actually think this could be interesting... for some reason. First, because it's not often mentioned and seems almost taboo, and I don't understand why. Second, it would definitely impact things in this story since sex while on period should be a different matter (right, ladies?). Third, this would just be a nice realistic and serious topic... and educative for the guys who would play it... I think...
Oh yes, I agree with this. It would be very unrealistic if she never had her period. Period, after all, might affect, and very usually affects, a woman's emotional and sexual life a lot. Besides, many guys don't really know at all about how painf-... I mean what it's really like, so it would be definitely educative! ^^
I think this is important aswell.. I mean it's normal in female phisionomy and it affects action, both physical and psicological deeply. I don't like to give examples but someone I .. "know"/knew has very violent period waves that give her horrible pains... it might sound farfectched and actually a bit on the bad wave of things but it could be a way for an event to happen. Example:

Protagonist is on her bad day.. hr mood isn't well and her pains have become stronger and stronger since morning.. she's having a hard time cope the day at school (again example). She goes to the nurses office and decides to go home... only to stagger and fall holding her abdomen in pain. Her senses going dim she senses a familiar presence around her... a boy she knows worridly edges near her with his bag on the side.

She try's to push him away, but she can't see his face... the pain is searing nearly ripping her to shreds.. her bad mood spekas loud and the pain isn't helping on the matter. Seconds later she begins to enter a first stage of shock... (I know and seen people with this pain before due to this) and nearly falls unconcious for a moment... she hears and feels teh boys voice calling out to her.. before feeling a wave of air around her feet.. she's being carried somehwere... she can hear his breathing and panic... before blacking out.

Seconds later she's on the Nurses Room.. the pain isn't gone but has subsided a bit... she has a wet cloth on her head and someone is holding his head next to the sheets. As he rises up she sees his face... and it's...

(Menu choice or Event triggered by "relationship points")

----------------------

As I said this is only an basic of many examples.... normaly most affect behaviour and chances.. so it's good to work with these to give variety and a breath of realism.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#58 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I'm a girl, so anybody could ask me.
Some tips for a GxB game. Please don't make shallow charas!

Ideas:

-Have the protaganist ask the boys out.

-Have slender bishonen, bishonen that the protaganist needs to protect.

-Let the class romeo reveal that he is gay. (Adds a nice twist.)

-Let the protaganist wear comfortable, NOT NECCESARILY REVEALING clothes.

-Everybody likes a straightforword and confident heroine!

-Let the protagonist have views on makeup and such. like, Protagonist does not wear makeup because she believes in inner beuty, Protagonist wears sporty clothes because they are comfy, Like that.

-Make the girl a geek if needed! give her strong and varyed personality! like "I'm a tomboy AND a computer geek! and very populer at school."
Remember, she can be a tomboy.

-She can have guyfreinds, too. Heck, she might be a generic geek playing H-games for both guys and girls.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#59 Post by Recca Phoenix »

Yeah, avoid stereotyping. Definitely.
While you should consider the needs of your audience, don't let it dictate everything.
My next next next game looks to be something gothic and angsty (It's only at the character design phase right now) and when I tried to throw in your standard "cute happy boy" it threw things completely off...
go with what feels right.
yeah.
something like that. ^^;;;

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

Re: Techniques in making authentic GxB game

#60 Post by kara24601 »

..aren't really as crazy about pirate's adventures as the boys.
Wrongo.
I for one am a huge fan of pirate stories. I read something once where somebody stated that there's more female pirates then there are male pirates in IMVU. As a user of IMVU, I have a bunch of pirate-related stuff and I am the captain of my own ship. Woot. Although I haven't yet gotten the chance to chat with and roleplay with other female pirates, I'm sure there out there. I may "know" alot of people in IMVU but as with anything...there's still tons more people I don't know.
I play Pirate King Online. I have played Puzzle Pirates before.
And it wouldn't surprise me if there was a huge female fanbase that I just haven't really "found yet" because I'm so busy doing other stuff/lazy or just am not aware how many girls out there beside myself enjoy pirate stuff.
I love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies and anything that features pirates at some point or has pirates as the main focus of the story. My female Go Pets cat , Mint , is a pirate captain with her own pirate stuff. While some areas are shared among my cats, she owns all the pirate places. While I don't remember being a huge fan of pirate stuff as a kid, I'm pretty sure that even then I was a fan of stories about buried treasure , sailing the seas, and all that.

As for a guy being able to make a good GxB girl game...I dunno.
I'll try any game once....if it's too obvious that a guy made it, then yeah, I'm probably not going to like it...then again maybe I will. *shrug* It just depends on the game.
-Let the class romeo reveal that he is gay. (Adds a nice twist.)
It may add an interesting twist, but to me it's unrealistic because it doesn't make any sense.
Why would he be "the class romeo" - (let's say for some reason or another the school is mostly or largely populated by girls....or it's a public school but he's "class romeo" to the girls) if he's actually gay?
I know...I know...ren'ai / Anime type and other stories don't have to be super realistic and all but to me that would throw me off a little or really bother me....depending on the character and all.

Eww, why would anybody want to include a period in a story? Especially in what's supposed to be a ren'ai? o.O
Yeah, it may add realism but it's also disgusting and too much like real life.
I play ren'ai games and stuff to escape from reality, not to get reminded of how much reality bites and how gross/awful it can be.

(Yes cramps are painful and can be THAT painful...men treat the subject too lightly...I've often wanted to smack my brother during times he's made light of the period issue)

Geeze, why are we even discussing this?
*shudder* :lol:
Punching a girl in the stomach is NOT how you stimulate the g-spot!
Geeze, somebody actually wrote that? That's horrible! Most of these "virgins" are male, I'm guessing.
I hate the word virgin. Not that it really matters but I'm a virgin. Even though I've been having trouble with my writing , I still consider myself a pretty good writer and I'm definately not that horrible ....really they must be stupid to think/write about punching a girl in the tummy to stimulate her. :lol:
Of course you'll just have to take my word for it about my writing since I don't have any finished projects to back up my claims but it would really bite if somebody didn't believe me.
Why would I lie about my own writing skills?

I love "My Life As A Teenage Robot" but I guess I never really think much when I'm watching about stereotypes, especially in regards to female stereotypes. I guess it's just one of those things you can watch without worrying or have to not let yourself get worked over certain issues and just watch it.....if that makes any sense.