On Japanese name orders

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: On Japanese name orders

#31 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I still get a decent number of people who introduce themselves using their full name, but in the Western order. These people tend to say their names at lightning speed, because even though they know we are familiar with that order, they forget that saying their full name at high speed and with no audible space sounds like a machinegun.

Japanese people who have a bit more experience talking to English speakers tend to slow it down or just use their given names.

As for my own name, I abbreviated it on a whim during my first day of university when we were doing introductions, and from that day onwards my name was CJ. That was long before coming to Japan.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#32 Post by Coren »

TrickWithAKnife wrote: As for my own name, I abbreviated it on a whim during my first day of university when we were doing introductions, and from that day onwards my name was CJ. That was long before coming to Japan.
Haha, that's kind of cute. A friend of mine had to do that too, with a teacher who couldn't pronounce his name.

But anyway, I suppose so it's okay to use either order as long as it's made clear in the story what order is being used?

Funnyguts
Veteran

#33 Post by Funnyguts »

There's always the option to let the player decide based on their own preference, although the more characters you have the more awkward this gets.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#34 Post by Coren »

Funnyguts wrote:There's always the option to let the player decide based on their own preference, although the more characters you have the more awkward this gets.
You mean "Do you want character names to be in so-and-so order"? Hmm for me, I only have one Japanese character, but also one Chinese character. So I just don't really feel right having the Chinese one have their name in traditional order while the Japanese one sticks to a Western order.

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#35 Post by lemonscent »

Since it's set in a mostly western environment, [first name][surname] would probably seem more natural. It's true that Asian politicians, celebrities, etc. are often addressed as "[surname][firstname]", but Asians in the Western environment address themselves as [firstname][surname]. I'm totally just being redundant here but you get the point.

I think the name switch is mainly because everyone gets confused if the names are in random order based on ethnicity, culture, etc. Like in certain countries in Asia, non-Asians are generally addressed as [surname][first name] to ease understanding.

[EDIT:] Ok wow Q_Q I'm necro'ing old threads left and right.
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)