Just a thought...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Message
Author
User avatar
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1896
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 am
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question
Projects: Slumberland
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#16 Post by Donmai » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:18 pm

pwisaguacate wrote:This is what happens when OP makes a cheerful but totally wrong-sounding post, especially with that second to the last sentence.
Yes (just a thought). :wink:
Image
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

User avatar
ShippoK
Veteran
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:59 pm
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)
Location: Glorious Nippon (A.K.A the USA)
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#17 Post by ShippoK » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:50 pm

pwisaguacate wrote:This is what happens when OP makes a cheerful but totally wrong-sounding post, especially with that second to the last sentence.
Though, truth be told. I believe a lot of people here can do a... lot better then... those companies...

(donthurtmeplz!)
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

pwisaguacate
Veteran
Posts: 356
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#18 Post by pwisaguacate » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:15 pm

ShippoK wrote:
pwisaguacate wrote:This is what happens when OP makes a cheerful but totally wrong-sounding post, especially with that second to the last sentence.
Though, truth be told. I believe a lot of people here can do a... lot better then... those companies...

(donthurtmeplz!)
(I won't hurt you.) Taking things into perspective, "a lot" of this community isn't really a lot; to count how many who are both willing and able to work on it would cut down the number.

Repeating what SundownKid said about fangames... Yeah, KS wasn't fangame, but it gathered people who really put forth work into development past the concept. ("fangame of the concept"? Ha.)

If we're talking about a shorter game, though, it certainly becomes more doable. In fact, I'm a little interested in the possible outcomes.

User avatar
ToddSmithComposer
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:11 am
Projects: Heartful Memory
Location: New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#19 Post by ToddSmithComposer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:32 pm

I know some of what I said was a bit wrongly worded. I was trying to say what I was thinking without sounding like a huge idiot and I seem to have failed haha. I do agree with the 'best talent = arguing (complete paraphrase) point completely, and its something I didn't think of when I posted this. However, I don't think its impossible to do.

User avatar
Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 am
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#20 Post by Victoria Jennings » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:10 pm

ToddSmithComposer wrote:However, I don't think its impossible to do.
To be honest, me neither. I mean, I don't think it'd work with the whole site, but if you could gather up a bunch of like-minded creators and rally them around a single idea, it could work.

Obviously, it's easier said than done, but still quite possible. :B

User avatar
feathersnake
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:05 pm
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#21 Post by feathersnake » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Victoria Jennings wrote:
ToddSmithComposer wrote:However, I don't think its impossible to do.
To be honest, me neither. I mean, I don't think it'd work with the whole site, but if you could gather up a bunch of like-minded creators and rally them around a single idea, it could work.

Obviously, it's easier said than done, but still quite possible. :B
I agree with this. The whole forum would end up being chaotic, but a like-minded (much smaller) team around a single idea would be more probable. Making sure your entire team has a clear understanding from the start of how the VN/plot is going to turn out and feel to the player is important too.

If you did go about gathering up a team, especially one with quite a few people working together from different sides of the craft, it would probably be a good idea to find someone willing to be the manager as their main job. Someone who could kind of bridge the gap between people working in different sections and make sure everything goes smoothly/conflicts between the team are resolved. Finding someone who wants to do such a thing would probably be...difficult. They literally just have to be the person managing the team and nothing else. But if you could find someone willing to do it and who is good at it, then it could help things go a lot more smoothly.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is someone who can do this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkcz2taCiw
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

User avatar
Victoria Jennings
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 715
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:40 am
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#22 Post by Victoria Jennings » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:19 am

feathersnake wrote:If you did go about gathering up a team, especially one with quite a few people working together from different sides of the craft, it would probably be a good idea to find someone willing to be the manager as their main job. Someone who could kind of bridge the gap between people working in different sections and make sure everything goes smoothly/conflicts between the team are resolved. Finding someone who wants to do such a thing would probably be...difficult. They literally just have to be the person managing the team and nothing else. But if you could find someone willing to do it and who is good at it, then it could help things go a lot more smoothly.
It'd be the most stressful job hands-down. The idea of having to communicate with so many different people, attempting to understand all their wants and needs, and then trying to explain those wants and needs to everybody else... Not to mention the fact that they'd basically have to organize everything, and make sure as few toes are stepped on as possible...

I certainly couldn't do it.

User avatar
feathersnake
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:05 pm
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#23 Post by feathersnake » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:53 am

Victoria Jennings wrote:
feathersnake wrote:If you did go about gathering up a team, especially one with quite a few people working together from different sides of the craft, it would probably be a good idea to find someone willing to be the manager as their main job. Someone who could kind of bridge the gap between people working in different sections and make sure everything goes smoothly/conflicts between the team are resolved. Finding someone who wants to do such a thing would probably be...difficult. They literally just have to be the person managing the team and nothing else. But if you could find someone willing to do it and who is good at it, then it could help things go a lot more smoothly.
It'd be the most stressful job hands-down. The idea of having to communicate with so many different people, attempting to understand all their wants and needs, and then trying to explain those wants and needs to everybody else... Not to mention the fact that they'd basically have to organize everything, and make sure as few toes are stepped on as possible...

I certainly couldn't do it.
Yes, definitely. I don't think I could do that job either, and personally I don't even know how one would find a person who would do it.

I could be wrong about this...but doesn't someone on every VN team end up being the manager in a way anyways? Whether it's the person who started the group, the main writer, programmer, artist, etc. From what I can tell someone ends up doing the job plus whatever other field they're already working in for the VN. Hard as it would be to find someone willing to only manage, it would probably be better for the team as a whole so no one is forced to be a makeshift one on top of something else.

Like I said, I could be wrong about that. So far the only team I've really worked with is the one for our Rose project. We get along well in the first place and talk through everything great, but one of us still ends up doing a little "managing." It's just good that we're such a small group starting on a small project so we can get used to working together. We actually almost started on a large project a couple years ago. Thankfully we realized that we needed to tone it down and try something small first. Not to mention we had no idea how to work as a team yet. Heck, we still have a lot of learning to do.

Okay, I should stop rambling now. :oops:
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

User avatar
Vialixia
Regular
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:27 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Just a thought...

#24 Post by Vialixia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 am

It is entirely possible to make this work, probably not with the whole forum, but at least with a group of members. You just need a structure to the project, possibly someone to organise communication, set work flows and deadlines, make a list of dependencies etc. You'd also need to put someone in charge of that particular discipline, like a Lead or Project Manager so that if conflict can't be resolved by the team, there is always someone to make a decision and move on.

I'm sure the majority of members on here are capable of making compromises? Most people here don't seem to be too precious about their own work, and are willing to take advice and criticism.

Timezones aren't that much of an issue. I work with other branches of our company around the globe all the time, you just need a generalised format for passing on information that anyone can access at any time, and someone to hold all that together.

At the moment I am the project manager of all our projects, and while I also contribute to the project (writing/art/prototypes/design and the scripting) I spent the majority of my time co-coordinating the project. Some of the people I'm working with don't know each other, but we all have to finish the game together :) At the moment there is 8 people on the Idol-eyes project (Me, a writer, 4 artists, 2 musicians) some know each other, some are external. It's just a case of getting all the information out there to people.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users