What would you like to see in a sequel to Elven Relations?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

I'd be most excited to see...

No sequel to Elven Relations - do another game instead
14%
The ongoing relationship of Takuya to the girls from Elven Relations 1
19%
A different narrator character in the same world
19%
A strong plot with intrigue or magic
14%
A different story for each of the characters
10%
More of the different settings or races in the world of Elven Relations
24%

Total votes: 21

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

What would you like to see in a sequel to Elven Relations?

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

Hi, all! I've been idly musing for a while on the possibility of writing a sequel to Elven Relations. The world of that game grew far larger than the first game could show, and the characters are strong, so I think the potential is there. (SunKitten says she loves the idea of drawing characters for another game in the Elven Relations world too ^.^)

But I thought I'd like to see what people think. I won't promise to abide by the results here, but I will say that more votes/requests for something will make me more likely to write that :)

I'd be particularly interested in what you think of any of the following options: (Sorry that the poll is choose-only-one - please do comment if you feel strongly about any of these)

1a) A sequel with Takuya as the main character again (with the three girls from ER1 plus probably one new girl)
1b) A sequel with a different main character, but with appearances of the characters from ER1

2a) A stronger "common" plot
2b) A focus on the individual stories of the girls

3a) Political intrigue playing a greater part in the plot
3b) Magic playing a greater part in the plot

4a) A focus on the elves
4b) A focus on the human kingdom (including the Royal Academy of Magic)
4c) A focus on the merpeople
4d) A focus on the other races or kingdoms (dwarves, trolls, the Hassan humans, others)

5) Anything else you'd particularly like to see

So, if you have an opinion, write or vote away. Thanks in advance!
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by DaFool »

2b. You can write several stories in the girls' perspectives and perhaps tie them all together with an overarching plot.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#3 Post by Enerccio »

1b
2a+b :P
3b
4d
5 more combats and visiting new places
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Wouldn't mind 1A, but I wouldn't want to be in your shoes... either you clear everything, or you have each couple break up for some reason with the possibility to patch up or go for another girl ^^;...
Hence... I'd choose 1B. It'll feel fresh, gives you more freedom, and lets you put many cameos :D

2A/2B... I really don't know. I liked how ER was. I would only *add* to it, not change it.

3A/3B... Mmm... None? It's really the characterization that makes ER nice, not some overly dramatic situation (I know many people wanted more but... then you'll please them and not those who liked it as it was, ne? ;p)

4ABCD : All of them :D... There's just so much to discover anyway :P... But ok, maybe the merpeople/dwarves/Hassans would be nice since we only *heard* about them.

5)... Mmmmmmm... Keep the fighting as it is with the dual option, if possible. If not, the narrated fighting is the best in the long run ^^ (though more variety and describing of the fights wouldn't hurt... ala Radical Dreamers).
I wouldn't mind a more branching game ala Heart de Roommate : once you've earned enough points, you get on a "second part" focusing on the girl. But it's not over yet! You still have to get it right or only get a good ending. And of course, the other characters turn into supporting charas. (but this branching would be a lot more work so... do it the ER1 way if it's too big ^^)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

Without voting in the poll above (since a poll is a poor substitute for reasoned discussion), I say:

1b - I think that if you use the same characters, then to some extent the decisions made in ER matter less. Takuya ended up with someone (or noone) at the end of ER, and you wouldn't want a new game to change that.

An alternative would be a series of short stories that are out of continuity with each other.

2b) I like it when each girl gets her own story. They can interrelate, but I prefer games where each girl has a well-defined story of her own, with a beginning, middle, and end, rather than having a main story and then an ending for each girl.

No opinion on the rest of the issues.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

I'd vote "no sequel".

Thousands of reasons - but most of all, because sequels rarely feel fresh. They may be better, more in-depth, but all these "improvements" (if the sequel is indeed at least as good as the original) lack the atmosphere of something really new.

Sure there are countless positives to sequels, but well, you wanted an opinion - mine is "don't do it". ER was great (maybe even because there was so much to think about afterwards), but so was WIRTW. Two games, two original works that feel special. And if given the choice, I'd like the third game to show me yet another world or experience. A new book, instead of a new chapter. Because while ER may have been open, it wasn't unfinished.

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#7 Post by Nafai »

1a ^_^ Harder to implement I know, but possible (If you've played/ have the translated scripts of the Sakura Taisen games, then those are examples of how to take a 'steady' relationship and still have relationship choices in subsequent games.). Either that or use as a starting point a game wherein Takuya didn't end up with a rock solid relationship with any of the girls - certainly possible. I got that the first few times :)

2a. From my limited VN knowledge, actual love triangles/polygons aren't often played out in the games. Once you choose to pursue one character, the others dont seem to treat you as a potential romantic interest anymore, I think that the push-and-pull of the love triangle can be a great source of drama and humor, and that would mean the plot couldnt focus too much on one girl, until the very end.

3a. Magic is interesting of course - but politics, ah, that can rend hearts and sunder souls ;)

4a. I think if we're using the same characters here, the elves would need to still play a major role - the new relations were just beginning at the end of ER, so it would be hasty to bring another faction into it - EXCEPT as an antagonist.

5 - Well, I already mentioned this above I think, but subtle and not-so-subtle conflict between the girls would be cool to see. With the player stuck in the middle of course ^_^

Sethaniel
Regular

#8 Post by Sethaniel »

I think if there were a sequel, I'd like to see a different character in the same world, perhaps featuring some of the same characters.

(y'know, like, what if I'm a Takuya/Tohko fan, and the sequel insists that ending #1 is the "true" ending-- or else you'd have to write something that could be played 3 different ways based on the 3 "best" endings)

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#9 Post by F.I.A »

Hmm, if anything, I will take:

1a) Well, what is a sequel without the former group.

2b) While group adventure is good, but I think most want to know more about their favourite girl.

3a-b) Now I am rather biased on this one. Since Takuya excels at neither, I guess you have to mix in the bunch.

4c-d) Try a fourth girl - Princess of the Mer. :P

5) It is poorly cliched, but I have to say it.... DRAGON! (Then again, a dragonkin(human dragon) with glasses might just suit me perfectly. :P )
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

mikey : but you use your very own world in many of your games... why couldn't it happen here too? ^^;... I understand the "no sequel" as in "don't continue the story"... but option 1B would fit the bill of giving a whole new story while retaining familiar elements.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#11 Post by mikey »

monele >> ugh, you almost got me there, but I have cautiously worded it "a new world or experience". ^_^

But yes, depending on how extensive your interpretation of the options is, ER2 can be completely different from the original - and I'd prefer that. Very subtle references, not too many fanservicy cameos, and I'm in. :P

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by monele »

Eheh ^__^... Well for me, it wouldn't even need to be called "Elven Relations" in that regard, so yeah... maybe the word "sequel" fits option 1A only ^.^

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#13 Post by Sailor Kitty »

Maybe have the Yurika ending but...

Just having the gang as freinds instead?
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by gekiganwing »

Think about an "Arc the Lad 2" style sequel: old characters are still active in the world, but the new main characters may or may not even meet them.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

What I'd Like To See

#15 Post by kara24601 »

New character as PC , same world, a few "old" characters show up at some point....and a major focus on other races/a different race....Hmm...a focus on merpeople or a catlike race or a different elf race.

It'd be nice to be able to choose to play as a male or female character in the ER world.
Any game.

Oh, yeah, if you focus on a non-elf race then it would be kind of odd to have it as the sequel , eh? So...pick a new/different elf race and have that be Elven Relations 2?
Just a thought. *shrug*