Can I use it?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
~Kayley
Projects: Dead Chivalry

Can I use it?

#1 Post by ~Kayley »

Okay, so, let's see if I can describe this right, shall we?
So I downloaded the Tokudaya sprites off of the actual website, including the ones that don't really work and download like sprites, I guess you could say. There were individual faces, clothes, eyes, eyebrows, mouths, etc. And what I did was sort of piece them together, and change things like positioning, color, and sometimes altering the items themselves.
I know I still credit Tokudaya. . . But I just need to check, is it okay for me to put them in my non-commercial VN?

These are a few examples. (Aha, and I was obviously in the mood for darker colors at the time x)

~Kayley

Re: Can I use it?

#2 Post by ~Kayley »

Aha, and the URL right above the first picture is another picture. :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

Fundamentally: Do you have permission? Unless you have permission, you don't.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#4 Post by RunicV »

I used Google Translate to check out Tokudaya's site, and in the FAQ, she/he mentioned that editing her sprites and using it was completely fine.

EDIT:
Are you sure you want I change to a multi-character parts and clothing and material between the indoor Q. Tokuda?
Yes A.. I do not mind. However, please understand that it has size as well as ... or slightly different.
And I think that, stick of that you should be careful of is, and start painting other site like and if you can withhold.
If you think that it might be questionable due to the poor English and confusion between languages, I visited the website before, and was provided with a translation different from the one Google gave me this time.

I can't quite remember, but it was clearer and said something along the lines of, "It's fine to edit the characters as you please with other body parts and clothes from other characters, but please note that the sizes might be different. You should be careful and paint over to make it fit better, if you are able to."
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

lemonscent
Regular
Projects: Remembrance:)

#5 Post by lemonscent »

I think I know what you're talking about. Are you talking about the ones in the catalog?

Then no. You're not allowed to use those unless you paid for them:)
★Remembrance - a WIP
소중했던 내 사람아 이젠 안녕❣ (안녕 안녕 이젠 안녕)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Following up on what Lemonscent said, some of Tokudaya's worksafe character sprites are sold on DLSite. They are described as "Approved for all ages and commercial/private use. No acknowledgment of source is required."

~Kayley

#7 Post by ~Kayley »

Yeah, the sprite parts I used were downloaded from the same pages as the free sprites... So there is hope? The link for the catalog wasn't working, but I checked the DLSite, and the parts were not from those characters.