Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Elli

Re: Ideas Dump

#256 Post by Elli »

Yup. Sorry for not making that clear. =3

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#257 Post by N0UGHTS »

I'm not sure if anyone recalls, but I once had a signature detailing three general/broad steps on how to commit genocide and have your "population" (sheep) see it as justified.

I'm thinking of a sim... And of course, there would be arcs/phases. I'm not sure about setting the actual goal... I think there should just be an "achievement" system. And also, every action should give or take away points, and you'd get more points as you accumulate more power... At the very end of the game, you'll be given a two-part title, based on the points and the sorts of achievements you've... achieved. For example, one gets the title of "Omnipotent Dictator." "Omnipotent" would be there because you've earned 200+ points, and "Dictator" would be there because you've managed to take control of the treasuries, the military, the media, etc. If you only managed to control the military, you'd get something other than "Dictator."

Here's a general outline of a play-through:

Code: Select all

Rising to Power
    Establishing connections
    Gaining public support
    Establishing more/stronger connections...
    Taking control of your colleagues (consenting or not)
    Disasters can also happen in this phase. You should use these to your advantage...
    At the end, you should be in a very high seat with [i]loads[/i] of power.
"DANGER"
    This could be a "disaster" you started or not. The bigger, the better. But you have to be able to scapegoat someone...
    You could also just introduce general fear and paranoia into the population. It'll be harder to reach your goals with just this, though...
    Resolving the disaster
    Scapegoating your target
        This is where PR comes in. The public can either love you or hate you, depending on what you do and how you do it.
    Feeding the media monster with propaganda (connections, bribery, blackmailing)
    Establish laws that give you more control (you can do this in the next phase but you should do this ASAP)
Righteous Retribution!
    Commence! (You'd have to do this quick before your spike in popularity dives)
    More propaganda
    Affairs with the media:
        Establish connections with the media top-dogs if you haven't already
        Now you can effectively blackmail and bribe the "underlings" (journalists, reporters, etc.)
        Using the media, you can reach more people with your "message"
    You should have a lot of public support by now, so other people in "high positions" are less likely to "go after you," local or not
    Now you just achieve goals until you get to world-domination. :D Or whatever you want to do...
END
    The game ends when you die, you're thrown out of power, or you choose "I've reached my goal" or something.
    You get a title!
Incentives to actually achieving something... You'd get "powers" you'd be able to use in subsequent play-throughs, plus whenever you achieve something you get to pick a "magazine" to add to your "bookshelf" (In the Extras menu). And reading a magazine would be like playing a typical ADV... Bottom text box, purdy CGs, etc. Or maybe no magazines. Maybe there should be two separate versions...

"dies," hehe. But I guess I really should fix that... :fixes:
Last edited by N0UGHTS on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#258 Post by gekiganwing »

I liked your philosophy club idea... that was my only question.

Moving on: anyone experience Indigo Prophecy? It went under my radar. I was into other games at the time (some of them just as artsy). From what I hear, Indigo Prophecy is a bit similar to School Days or Summer Days, in that it's an interactive movie with quick time events. See Wikipedia's article here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(video_game) It would be *challenging* to create an interactive movie or animated feature, even with a budget! But the idea is neat.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned the notion of getting back to interactive fiction / graphic adventure roots. How 'bout examining some choose your own adventure (generic term: "gamebook") books, and then devising something new and different? Unlike interactive fiction, most gamebooks have very few puzzles. There's reading and (hopefully) logical guesses. Some variations, like Fighting Fantasy, include statistics and dice-rolling.

From TVTropes' index here -- http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... nAdventure -- I learned about webcomics which incorporates CYOA structure. Comics + branching path story = just a few steps away from becoming an ADV game. In fact, if you don't choose to separate your text and your images, then a comics-style gamebook might be very similar to Littlewitch's games.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#259 Post by LVUER »

Indigo Prophecy (Fahrenheit). I've played it. First half is good but suddenly it go Matrix and things suddenly goes bad. And also the game doesn't deliver what they promised to in the beginning of the game. There is no consequences of your decision/action. So it's kinda playing a kinetic novel with a little interactivity. There is several endings but still...

Well, it should've been a great game, if they deliver it right...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#260 Post by monele »

I totally agree with LVUER here ^^;... I've been ranting and ranting about how disappointing the game was compared to what they claimed it offered. It it still a very nice story and one of the rare games where taking a shower adds to the mood. But consequences? HA!... It's to the point where the game wants you to find out 3 clues in a regular playthrough (among a set of clues you get or not depending on your actions)... and when I did my best to only leave 2 available clues....... it suddenly changed its requirement to "you need to find out 2 clues". Way to go guys ~_~;...

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#261 Post by papillon »

You play a fortune-teller who is part of a traveling circus. People come in to have their fortunes told and also to pour out their life stories and troubles upon you... and you meddle in their lives, solving their little mysteries, trying to get couples together to ensure happy futures, and so on.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#262 Post by papillon »

Has anyone yet done a very James Bond sort of game? Playing a suave, dashing character (instead of the bumbling loser/everyman that can be too common) in exotic locales, with danger everywhere and lots of Bad Ends, and gorgeous adversaries trying to both bed you and kill you?

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#263 Post by N0UGHTS »

So you mean an ero guro game, except it's gonna be the guy that's going to be splattered with blood? I can totally go for that...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart

walveta

#264 Post by walveta »

papillon wrote:Has anyone yet done a very James Bond sort of game?
Actually that would be fun, doesn't have to be James Bond of course, an Arsene Lupin one would do just as well (but I only say that becuase I'm a Leblanc fan)

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#265 Post by N0UGHTS »

I know a few people who would kill over a Voltes V fan-game. Yes, how popular it would be with those forty-year-olds...

I'd also be interested in playing a Lady Oscar ADV.
World Community Grid

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#266 Post by N0UGHTS »

...Once upon a time, I had a substitute teacher. He lived in Germany while the Berlin wall was up, I don't remember whether East or West. He was a little boy. And, there was this one day, when he was picking blueberries. The best blueberries grew close to the wall. So, he went for the blueberries. Then, one of the guards started yelling at him, "Verboten! Verboten!"

And that's about the time when one of my peers interrupted and asked, "What's 'verboten'?" And he didn't finish his story... :sighs:

I'm wondering if anyone can elaborate this to make it a decent KN. That's be nice...
World Community Grid

Ren

#267 Post by Ren »

N0UGHTS wrote: I'd also be interested in playing a Lady Oscar ADV.
I second that...

...and third it and fourth it and so on!

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#268 Post by Vatina »

N0UGHTS wrote:And that's about the time when one of my peers interrupted and asked, "What's 'verboten'?" And he didn't finish his story... :sighs:
Nooo I want to know how it ends~!

(Seriously, I ended up getting really caught up in just those few words :oops: )

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#269 Post by gekiganwing »

It's easy to find ren'ai games in which the POV character and the harem slowly get closer. They tend to go from "not in a relationship, just friends" to falling in love. What if the point of view character was instead trying to *escape* a relationship? He/she is on the run from a failed relationship... perhaps even a harem that didn't work out at all.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#270 Post by monele »

Angry harem ladies are after you for impregnating the lot of 'em..... RUN! And it would be called, Kill Tarou.

== EDIT ==

And a new VN/Sim idea (I blame working on a lingerie site for the whole week) : you manage a lingerie shop, must acquire new items, trying to follow fashion, and must catter to your clientele's wishes. For some reason, I can't see this *not* turning H, though XD...
Or for something more story oriented, a lingerie designer (could be female since something tells me it's something women do) who is looking for inspiration as her success dwindles. To do so, he/she actually dates women who will each inspire some new feeling through her life story and personality, leading to imagining a new lingerie set. An inspired artist here could go crazy with cool lingerie design (Pure Princess, all white with pearls and lace; Night Mistress in black with leather and spiky patterns, etc...). And for more "game", the way you deal with each lady would determine if you end up imagining nothing, something too classic or the actual surprising design.