Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Ideas Dump

#271 Post by LVUER » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:21 am

monele wrote:Angry harem ladies are after you for impregnating the lot of 'em..... RUN! And it would be called, Kill Tarou.
Make it the other way around, you are a prince (or something) and suddenly has a harem waiting for you when you get home in a seemingly ordinary day. The problem is, you allergic to girls (hate them, afraid of them, whatever, but no... you're not a homo). So the harem are after you since you never make a move on them (and sometimes angry girls could be very frightening). Your dad only laughing watching this, knowing that his son is very stupid ^_^ what a dad... Your mom? Still haven't though about her yet...

MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

#272 Post by MoonlightBomber » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 pm

An idea that's been floating up my mind, but will be given away to someone more deserving to create a VN based on it.

You, as the MC, are in love with a girl. The catch? You and the girl belong to two warring religious sects. The two sects have been engaging in word wars via their respective TV stations over things such as accuracy to the Scriptures, and you two are basically tired of it and decide to get closer. The resultant VN will have at most five endings, but that's for the maker to decide.

Partially based on a true story (my fellow Filipinos must know what it is, right?).
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

LVUER
King of Lolies

#273 Post by LVUER » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:52 pm

Kinda like Romeo and Juliet.

Partly based on true story... woh... Real life can be indeed crazier than fiction, sometimes.

Elli

#274 Post by Elli » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Name: Failed Dreamers
Genre: Drama, Sci-fi, A bit of Romance
Description: ...A lot of people have dreams. A lot of them fail. Lillian Rynmen has started a strange new support group, for people who have not achieved their dreams...You receive an invite...But...What was the dream that you wanted to fulfill that you didn't? What is this woman talking about? However, regardless you go anyway...
The people you meet at the support group all know what they failed at...Greg Birch, an incredibly lazy man who wanted to be a rockstar, but was too lazy to get anything done...He still is pretty talented at the guitar though...Noroi Kanashimi, a woman from japan who used to be a lolita fashion model (as a young girl), her dreams of designing clothes, and working as a photographer never came to fruition. She became too "fat" to be a lolita model, and ended up moving to America; Noroi currently works as a clerk...Kaya Hurdson, a cheery waitress who aspired to be a voice actress. Kaya has maintained a happy sense of humor, and still does amateur work online. She has a professional demo from a few years ago, but was always too afraid to send it out, and ended up getting nowhere...
...And then, there's Lillian herself. Why did she create this group? And why did she invite the people she did...?
And further...What did you fail at in your life, that made Lillian think you belonged in this group?

...Hmmm...
Lillian may or may not be a self-proclaimed psychic...Maybe.

bowling pin
Regular

#275 Post by bowling pin » Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:09 am

I posted this on another board but let's see how these are received on this end of the internet.
Synopses are roughly organized in order of "most likely to see in some form out of the gate first" and then personal importance.

Spambots@Love
Genre: Comedy, Romance, Science Fiction
Themes: Artificial Intelligence, Social Networking, Memes, Existentialism
Plot: An online forum moderator investigates a surge of traffic on his board and discovers that two spambots seem to have developed an advanced artificial intelligence. Motivated by his responsibilities and his curiousity, he wanders the depths of the Internet to watch the spambots' romance play out while getting stuck in the middle of it.
Inspired by: the Internet

Notes: This is an idea I've got for a short visual novel. There's a WYSIWYG visual novel creator called Novelty that's going to be coming out in the future, and this is the story I want to write to test it out. It's also partly inspired by some of my obsessive forays into the Internet, but my main character will have some more destructive habits.

Feast of Dogs
Genre: Dramedy, Fantasy, Slice of Life, Historical Fiction
Themes: Humanity, Philosophy, Spirituality, Love
Plot: In the afterlife, a few people are chosen to travel throughout history as formless spirits to right the wrongs of the world. With the ability to possess the living, these spirits work to improve the lives of others as the very fate of mankind is in their hands, and ultimately, their hearts. Feast of Dogs primarily follows three such spirits with highly differing personal histories and outlooks on life, struggling with the fact that they are humans with the burden of God.
Inspired by: Quantum Leap, Disgaea, The Twilight Zone, Cowboy Bebop, Sophie's World

Notes:
Years ago, my mother worked for the school district and offered to pick up and drop off one of her students every day. She was a sweet little girl, about 8 years old whose grandmother was paraplegic. Her mother was dead. When asked about her mother, she would point to the sky and say "my mommy is watching me from Heaven." One day, a month later, the girl suddenly broke down. She cried to God for her mother back.

There was a kid who went to my high school who always sat in the corner of the library hallway tables we hung around at. He was very quiet, and I noticed he read a lot of morbid looking books on serial killers. So I talked to him one morning. He was very troubled, came from a broken home, and was generally miserable. So I continued talking to him. He kept opening up, and over time, his disposition was happier. I like to think I may have made some difference in his life.

I had a classmate from Korea. She was very quiet, had sad eyes that stared off into the distance, and looked very fragile. I reached out to her and learned we shared many of the same interests. Soon we started hanging out in the morning, talking. She looked forward to these mornings. I made a connection with her, and I knew I made her happy just by that. I learned about her past, and it was as I suspected; she had trouble believing in others due to schoolyard bullying and spent much of her childhood in poor health. From then on, I decided that I wanted to renew her faith in people. I eventually fell for her. I thought the best way to show her that the world was beautiful was to give her my heart. She didn't feel the same way. Maybe I was the one who really needed to be healed, desperate to be believed in.

These are all true stories. These occurances and many more have shaped the story I now call Feast of Dogs. As I recall these memories I remember the tinge of pain I had. Where I was powerless, the characters of Feast of Dogs are divine. This is the story of people in the unique position to truly change people's lives, but because they are still once living humans, they will err. What is love? What is pain? What is justice? My objective in Feast of Dogs is to stir minds and uncage hearts. There is much more I can talk about, but a few years down the line and you may see this work come to fruition in some form. This is the story I feel the most passionately about, and I don't think I can actually die before it is told from beginning to end.

Parallel Lanes
Genre: Road Story, Comedy, Adventure, Fantasy
Themes: Americana, Travel, the Post-Apocalypse
Plot: A woman picks up a hitchhiker who suffers from chronic sleep paralysis. Determined to get a multi-million dollar inheritance, they travel across a semi-ravaged America while facing the demons of their country and their own.
Inspired by: Mystery Train, Coffee and Cigarettes, El Topo, The Adventures of Milo & Otis, Bingo (yes, the movie about the dog)

Notes: Some of you have already seen some of Parallel Lanes. I put the story on the back burner for a couple of years now, but I decided to rethink it a bit. It once had a heavier fantasy/sci-fi element, but now I think I'll downplay that and focus more on the journey and our heroes' interaction with the physical and cultural landscape of America and Americans. This is a love letter to our homeland, embracing the strengths and flaws of this country while also trying to look at ourselves from another point of view. I still think this will be a visual novel, but again it will be some time before it takes form.

Don't Fall in Love
Genre: Action, Romance, Giant Monster, Exploitation
Themes: Political corruption, violence, depravity, the supernatural
Plot: Brazil, the late 1970s. A drug dealer and his girlfriend flee to the countryside after kidnapping a detective during a botched robbery. Their souls corrupted and depraved, they torture their prisoner in an effort to inflict the pain of their nation on a representative of their government. Things go awry when a giant alien monster shows up in Rio de Janeiro, and in a cocaine-induced suicide attempt they decide to go out and defeat it.
Inspired by: Scarface, Song of Saya, City of God, TYPE-MOON, Reservoir Dogs, Preacher, Go Go Second Time Virgin

Notes: Okay, this seriously might be the most bizarre story I've ever thought up. It's ridiculous, ammoral and exploitive. Probably the darkest story in my head right now. Actually, this is inspired by TYPE-MOON's ORT; you see, ORT is one of the major (yet unseen) characters in the TYPE-MOON universe, and according to its biography it wound up landing somewhere in South America in the middle of the 20th century. I thought, "that might be an interesting story." So the giant monster isn't actually shoehorned into the story; the giant monster came first! The sex, the politics and the violence were wrapped around it. If I ever get around to doing this, maybe I should collaborate with Magus or something. Also, because of its title, it serves as a companion story to Spambots@Love, although they are vastly different in tone and not within the same continuity. They do ultimately share some themes, though.

Internet Detective
Genre: Adventure
Plot: A world-weary programmer for a famous multimedia company visits an internet cafe on one unforgettable night. Our hero is contacted by a would-be Internet celebrity to help her find her missing boyfriend, and the only clues to his disappearance are the message boards and blogs he's posted in. The programmer unravels the lies perpetuated on the net and uncovers mysteries that link him to an online conspiracy.

Inspired by: Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright, Famicom Detective Club Part II

Sentimental Shopping
Plot: An ex-soldier finds himself sprawled out across the floor of a small thrift store surrounded by glass shards and snow. Apparently beaten and left for dead, he is taken in by the kindly family who owns the shop. With no place left to call home, he decides to make the cozy little town his own by interacting with its citizens. There seems to be something magical about the store called Sentimental Shopping because everyone's lives are fixed as soon as they are given a certain item from the shop. The key to reclaiming the past can always be found at Sentimental Shopping.

Inspired by: The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing

The Black Yonder
Genre: Action, Beat 'em Up
Plot: In the near yet far-flung future, when technology has advanced to the point where space travel has become commercialized and accessible... the world hasn't changed very much. A space meter maid comes home to her apartment one night to find it ravaged by the organization after the bounty hunter neighbor she never knew she had! Forcibly on the run, they must confront the organization, and their pasts, head on. And at the end of their misadventure, they must journey into the wild black yonder itself.

Inspired by: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, Metal Slug, Ninja Gaiden

Niggapocalypse
Genre: Comedy, Action, Adventure, Drama
Themes: Man vs the Divine, Politics
Plot: In this Original Character Only-revision of the Eternity canon classic (!), Multiversal diety Pin-himesama gathers together an army of the world's oppressed to topple the upper class power structure that dominates all life.

Inspired by: Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, Def Jam: Fight for NY, Pootie Tang, Suikoden, The Autobiography of Malcolm X, War and Peace

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#276 Post by N0UGHTS » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:35 pm

Being the history junkie that I am, I'd like to see at least a KN based on the Christmas Truce—that December in 1914 when British troops (and to a lesser extent the French) and the Germans temporary ceased hostilities to celebrate Christmas, and maybe the New Year. Together. Yes, yes, the interactions and the feelings of these men would be quite a read... At least for me.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#277 Post by monele » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:06 pm

I remember there was a movie about this recently. I wonder if it was any good :)

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#278 Post by N0UGHTS » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:48 pm

...Movie? :Googles "Christmas Truce movie": Do you mean Joyeux Noël?

First time I've heard of it...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#279 Post by LVUER » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:41 am

bowling pin wrote:Sentimental Shopping
Plot: An ex-soldier finds himself sprawled out across the floor of a small thrift store surrounded by glass shards and snow. Apparently beaten and left for dead, he is taken in by the kindly family who owns the shop. With no place left to call home, he decides to make the cozy little town his own by interacting with its citizens. There seems to be something magical about the store called Sentimental Shopping because everyone's lives are fixed as soon as they are given a certain item from the shop. The key to reclaiming the past can always be found at Sentimental Shopping.

Inspired by: The Legend of Zelda, Animal Crossing
This one is similar to Pet Shop of Horror, only far much lighter. Pet Shop of Horror tells you a story about a pet shop that sells animals. If you (manage) to enter the shop and buy an animal, your problem in life will be solved. But sometimes you have to pay more than mere money.

Feast of Dog. Have potential if you make it right. Story from real life indeed could be great. Like I said before "Real life could be more crazy than fiction".

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#280 Post by Wintermoon » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:01 am

Combat Lawyers

In a world where legal questions are settled through trial by combat, a team of lawyer-warriors sets out to challenge the legality of censorship and government surveillance programs.

bowling pin
Regular

#281 Post by bowling pin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:39 am

"Mankind ends at the Feast of Dogs!"

So what is the Feast of Dogs? It is the point of time where man ceases to be. The world will be left devastated by an act of folly. A time traveling society of deceased spirits called Encyclometro make it their mission to avert the Feast of Dogs by changing the events that lead up to it, but all of their efforts only delay the inevitable end.

After several failed iterations of the universe, the de facto leader of Encyclometro, Jacks enlists the unassuming, recently deceased youth Chlorophyll to the fold. Phyll, an atypical pacifist, is surprisingly the central figure in Jacks's new plan to save the world... but it's a plan that he keeps close to his chest.

The modus operandi of the Encyclometro group has gone from focused attempts to divert mankind's final days to the random spreading of good will and salvation to people throughout history. Phyll is indoctrinated into Encyclometro by Rosalowe, Jacks's right-hand woman and sardonic chain-smoker. Soon they encounter the stoic-yet-abrasive young man Cosine, the stowaway spirit. The three form a balanced union of differing personalities and approaches to making peoples' lives better.

Introducing the cast

Chlorophyll
The eternal apologist. This seemingly naive young man is the central figure of Feast of Dogs and displays a remarkable amount of understanding and compassion. Phyll approaches being a spirit by getting to know mortals personally and believes that most conflicts are born from poor communication. His faith in the inherent goodness of mankind will be tested as he witnesses tragedy and the vile malevolence that is perpetuated throughout history. Still, his belief that he can save all people is what drives him. Where this is the downfall of the mortal men who shared this dream, perhaps Phyll's eternal soul can triumph? Chlorophyll seems to have died in a vehicular accident.

Rosalowe
The cool beauty. Rosalowe is an aloof woman clad in black who could be mistaken for Death herself. In her old life, Rosalowe was a gangster who actually was Death incarnate. Ruthless and world-weary, yet loyal and selfless, she is less a thug and more a soldier. She can grasp higher concepts than Phyll due to her experiences interacting with the complex criminal underworld, and knows well that seemingly random occurances can drastically change the future for unwitting players. Yet she is unable to decipher the trees from the forest, and is willing to sacrifice others for the greater good. Rosalowe crosses the lines that Phyll and Cosine dare not look toward. She unknowningly plays a role in Jacks's master plan...what is her unusual connection to Phyll? Rosalowe was killed when her gang was annihilated.

Cosine
The man who can see good and evil. Cosine often sees the world in extremes, and believes that there is irrefutable malevolence in men that must be snuffed out. Unlike Rosalowe he could never let an innocent person suffer an injustice, but unlike Phyll he is not above killing evil men! Cosine is blessed with supernatural abilities that even allow him to alter reality. He died before he had the chance to manifest these powers. He is still dedicated to the ideal of justice, and will do anything he can to avert tragedy, but will his limited moral view blind him from seeing other solutions? Even Jacks cannot account for Cosine's appearance in Encyclometro and may very well throw a cog into his plans...but perhaps it will be a necessary part in the grand scheme? Cosine seems to have killed himself in a mysterious lapse of sanity...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#282 Post by monele » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:49 am

Elli : I wish this was in the Work In Progress section and not in this thread ^_^;

N0UGHTS : Yup, that's the one ^^

Elli

#283 Post by Elli » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:50 pm

Monele: Hahahaha..Thanks. I have some work done on almost everything I post here...>>'' If only I have the time to finish something...*slapped* I should learn to stick with an idea....

Another one:
Name: Birthright
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Drama, Romance (Romance isn't really the focus though)
Description: The country of Touhyi is known as a sacred land for those of the Kyiulai religion. Many people of the religion get their children's birth certificates to say they are a citizen of Touhyi. Tayuhan's parents did this; and he has always dreamt of visiting Touhyi...However, there is currently a War going on there, and a draft is issued...If he visits, he will have to join the army...Touhyi is now going to a University, and still has not visited Touhyi...But when he is stricken by a disease he knows this is his only chance to visit Touhyi...But he doesn't want to get drafted...Can a mysterious and cheerful girl named Addie help him? And at what cost? But most importantly, there are dangers throughout the road Addie has come up with to get to Touhyi unoticed...Will they even survive the journey?

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#284 Post by papillon » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:38 pm

From Wikipedia:
Grover Cleveland, at age 27, met his future wife shortly after she was born. He took an avuncular interest in the child, buying her a baby carriage and otherwise doting on her as she grew up. When her father died in a buggy accident in 1875 without having written a will, the court appointed Cleveland administrator of his estate. This brought Cleveland into still more contact with Frances, then age 11.
The *original* Princess Maker!

So there's a different-than-usual setting for you... go back to the 1800s and manage the upbringing of a little girl while also managing your political career! Best ending - become president and marry her in the White House...

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#285 Post by Samu-kun » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:39 am

marry her in the White House...
I dunno, I can think up of better endings than that! Just be sure not to include the words "I DID NOT HAVE SEX WITH THAT WOMAN!!!!" somewhere in the script.