Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Sailor Kitty
Veteran

Re: Ideas Dump

#46 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I like the warlord idea. I would really, really, buy it if it was on sale.

On my own

Akane Sakamoto likes Bishounen games. She also loves slash. What to do now? Buy Bishie games.
She is also a real pervert

The thing is, one of the boys in the games need her help. Shunsuke is a real boy who got trapped in a game. Shunsuke promises that if she helps him get out, he'll try and fake a permission note so that she can buy yaoi games.

She finds the wizard who trapped Bishie Shunsuke in the game. (Game being tokimeki girls side) The wizard trapped him there because Shunsuke once stole his girlfreinds panties. (misunderstanding) but is willing to let him out if she does some chores for him.
The catch:
She now has to make herself useful. By stealing undies. She will get Shunsuke free if she supplies the wizard with panties. She is used to sneaking, so this will be easy, right?
The thing is, she has to dodge watch-dragons, work her way around spells, etcetera. The victims are witches, and this is gameplay. In between these segments, she will talk to Shunsuke via gameboy. If she plays her cards right, she will end up with Shunsuke as a boyfreind. If she does good, he'll be her freind or brother. If not, he'll end up in a BDSM yaoi game.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#47 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Sailor Kitty wrote: The thing is, one of the boys in the games need her help. Shunsuke is a real boy who got trapped in a game.
This reminds me of an idea that I've been tinkering with for awhile but never bothered to share:

A normal girl, Ashley, we'll call her for now, is a college student who enjoys relatively normal things. She likes shopping, hanging out with her friends, and going to football games. But then Ashley meets Kirk, an otaku who loves anime, manga, and, of course, Ren'Ai games.

At first, Ashley thinks Kirk is a bit of a dork who's not worth her notice (Ashley is considered pretty hot around campus), but as she hangs out with Kirk more and more, she realizes that he's a really great guy. He introduces her to anime and manga and she becomes a casual fan.

They date and eventually go steady in Junior year. However, no matter how many times Ashley has put up with her boyfriend's anime-obsessed shenanigans (going to conventions, cosplaying, wasting ridiculous amounts of money on figurines and such) she doesn't understand why he likes Ren'Ai games so much.

One day, Ashley and Kirk have a date planned to see a movie that Ashley's been dying to see. But thirty minutes after the movie has started, Ashley realizes that Kirk isn't coming. When she calls him, angry and upset, he tells her that he's really sorry -- he came down with the flu and fell asleep.

But when Ashley makes a surprise visit to Kirk to check up on him, she finds his health just peachy keen -- he's in the middle of a Ren'Ai game he just bought and he's ending hunting. That's right -- he blew off his girlfriend for games.

Ashley is, of course, furious, and doesn't understand why Kirk loves these virtual girls more than her. She storms off in tears and Kirk feels horrible.

Fast forward to the next day. Kirk is hanging out with his friends, still feeling like crap. His friend, Robby, warns him that if he doesn't shape up, he's going to lose Ashley.

Ashley, meanwhile, has snuck over to Kirk's place, hoping to find him and talk things over. But all she finds when she arrives is that Kirk is not home and his Ren'Ai game is currently on the computer -- his favorite girl smiling wistfully at him. She scowls. "If it weren't for you, this never would have happened!" She makes a move to literally kick the monitor of the computer in, but, surprisingly, her foot doesn't make contact. Instead, she goes straight through it.

And now she's in the game.

Basically, Ashley becomes another character in the game. She meets all of the other girls and finds out that they're...different...than what they portray. She wants to get out of the game, but can't tell Kirk the truth or she'll cause a paradox in the game that will end up destroying the game and everyone in it. (You cannot connect the real world with the Ren'Ai world) So now, Ashley has to win Kirk's heart while still trying to find a way out.

There would be three capturable guys: Kirk, Robby, and Takeshi, a boy in the game who plays Kirk's best friend. Kirk would not recognize Ashley's character but slowly fall in love with her again via the game -- Robby would somehow realize that Ashley's been trapped and try to rescue her -- and Takeshi and Ashley would form a bond via the game. :3

As for the endings...well, can't give everything away.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#48 Post by monele »

PrettySammy : quite original ^^... Not sure how you'd deal with new VN choices appearing because of her presence but the base concept is fun :)

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#49 Post by Recca Phoenix »

that sounds awesome! What you could do with a game like that.....wow.....
I envisioned photographs for the real-life segment and anime-style for the game world while reading it.
That's a solid story (game aside) and you could really do a lot with it!

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#50 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Recca Phoenix wrote:that sounds awesome! What you could do with a game like that.....wow.....
I envisioned photographs for the real-life segment and anime-style for the game world while reading it.
That's a solid story (game aside) and you could really do a lot with it!
Wow -- that's a really cool idea. :3 With the photographs and anime art. But characters might be harder to do with photographs of real people. Maybe the art style for the real life portion would be more realistic while the game world would be cutesy-anime style.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#51 Post by DaFool »

Great idea, hopefully it is going to be seriously written.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#52 Post by musical74 »

This is from a thoroughly bizzare dream that I had...I'd like to think that this might one day be a game, but as my programming skills are poor and my artsitic ability zilch....maybe just an idea.

Main Character: a vampiress, although she doesn't like the fact that she's a vampiress for the most part, so she keeps that she's a vampiress well hidden. The only times she reveals that's she a vampiress is when someone royally ticks her off and she thinks *he wouldn't do that to a vampiress* and goes after him (it was always a guy that did this in the dream) and she ALWAYS makes sure that the person is alone so there's no witnesses. So outside of her family, no one knows she's a vampiress. Age: 17 (Tentative name was Mara)

Main Character's Mom: Kind of put in an odd position because of her daughter's refusal to accept that she's a vampiress, she nonetheless is a good mother and a good source for advice for the local HS kids. Because of her daughter's insistance, no one really knows she's a vampiress either...(Tentative name, Cherie) Guessed Age: 35

Kira: Best friend of Mara. Has no idea that Mara is a vampiress, and probably wouldn't care if she found out. They are almost always together, and somewhat of a tomboy. Age: 17

Jake: A good friend of Mara and Kira. Also has no clue on Mara being a vampiress. He doesn't say much, but listens well and is always willing to help others out. He has a bit of a rep as a *shoulder* and is prone to spells of depression. Mara understands these bouts of depression, Kira doesn't, and when they both try to cheer him up at the same time...it's very very very funny. Age: 17

Mr Hilliard: Principal at the HS where the kids attend. He's a great prinicpal, and the kids all respect him. Minor role. Age: 50

Miss DeLay: The teacher of Mara, Jake, and Kira and others. She comes from Paris and seems to like Jake a bit too much, BUT she's very attentative to all her students, and, when Kira and Mara aren't annoyed at her for showing obvious interest in Jake, she's a good source of help. Age: 24

Mr Dragon: The janitor of the HS. Grumbles almost nonstop about everything. Not well liked by the students, but well liked by the factulty. Minor role....mainly used when someone screws up and needs the janitor to clean things up. Behind his grumbling, he's actually a pretty nice guy. Age: 39

Mr Scottini: Local merchant. NOT liked at all by Mara because she feels he's very full of himself. He's the most successful merchant in town and is quite willing to share info...for a price...possible link to the underworld but no proof. Age:26

Police Chief: Typical police chief, does have a soft spot for Mara, unknown why though. Age: 38

The dream revolved around Mara and her friends Kira and Jake and their adventures in school. Every time Mara goes off to deal with a major jerk she says she *needs some alone time*, and she does it rare enough that Jake and Kira don't think much of it. Mara really likes Jake but feels that Kira likes him too - to say nother of their teacher - so she doesn't act out on the fact that she really likes him.

Sounds bizzare, doesn't it?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#53 Post by monele »

Not that bizarre... but I think there might be a need for "something else". Obviously, there has to be tension at some point because "oh god, the secret might be discovered". Well... maybe that's too classic though... If you had to go full ren'ai, then it might be all about wether love should be selfish or not (should Mara go for it or let Kira...) and about the power of love against differences (if Mara decides to reveal the truth to the boy).

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#54 Post by Sailor Kitty »

The Splitnotists realm

A boy wakes up in a bed, with no memory of his past. The room grey and unattended to. A young girl his age enters the room. Her hair is long and hotpink. She is dressed in a grey lad coat.

"Do you remember your name?"

"No."

"How old are you?"

"14."

"Your name is now Keisuke."

The girl, Maria Star, Is a full-time hypnotist. She found Keisuke lying shot on the street. She lends her powers to whoever pays most. She is 16 years old, but very shor for her age. Looks 14. Quiet girl.

Maria has hypnotised Keisuke to not remember his past. He has a very shady past, as well as many scars. Maria tells him to stay away from her work in the beginning, but he soon comes to help her. He does pretty much anything she tells him, while she tries to teach him to not obey. If he learns that he has a choice, he will recover faster.

But there are four people living in the household. Namely, Maria's personalitys.

Maria
The default personality. Her apartment quite large, but very cozy. Quiet and very intelligent. Often hides behind a pile of books. Often studieng or drawing.

Marie
Marie wears Sweet Lolita clothing and wears a curly wig. She acts like a little girl, displaying the more childish side of Maria. Very innocent and likes dolls. Calls Keisuke "Onii-chan"

Ria
Ria wears her hair in a ponytail. She also wears diva clothes and runs out on town alot. She displays the more spoiled part of Maria, sometimes resorting to "supported dating" to get more clothes. She always runs away if the "date" tries to get laid, though. She bathes in clothes to try and warm her lonely heart.

Maria has not been hypnotised to bring out these personalitys. But she tries to hpnotise them out. She teaches Keisuke to hypnotise, as she does not trust anybody else. Keisuke, however, finds out that Marie is sprung from Maria being orphaned, ending her childhood abruptly. Ria is sprung from the fact that she has noone to love, so she hides in massive amounts of things that the marketers tell her she needs.

Keisuke and Marias pasts are intertwined.

But when Maria is merged with Marie and Ria, what will she be?
there are several ends to the game.

1. Keisuke uses Narcohypnosis on Maria, eliminating other personalitys. and they stay freinds.

2. Marie becomes her default personality, though a little more mature. They move to the coast and make a living selling doujinshii.
Oh, and they have fallen in love with each other before this ending.

3. Ria becomes her default personality, but stays a Kogal. She and Keisuke become girlfreind and boyfreind. Earns money by designing clothes.

4. Hypnosis fails. Marie becomes her default personality and Keisuke becomes her "Onii-chan".

5. upon the hypnosis failing, Ria becomes her default personality. Becomes Keisukes freind and introduces him to the world of partying.

6. Narcohypnosis is succesfull and eliminates other personalitys. Maria and Keisuke continue life as before, as lovers this time.

7. true ending. Only avadible after unlocking the other endings. After investigation on Marias clients and appeasing all personalitys, he remembers that he was the son of a Yakuza boss who was killed. His family killed Marias family. After he went into a trap set by a rivaling family, he was shot several times. Then Maria rescued him. Maria found out about his past through hypnosis. Deciding that she could use him, and getting revenge on the Yakuza boss by stealing his son, She turned Kuroneko into Keisuke. He finds himself kidnapped, and Maria decides to save him. The man who kidnapped him is Kuronekos father. Maria saves Keisuke by killing the boss.
"Kuroneko... A lost black kitten. I was nothing more then a lost black kitten in his care. But that cat died. My name is Keisuke, and I am a boy with Kuronekos memories."

After rescue, Maria merges with Ria and Marie, making her a bit more prone to smile and has fun a bit easier.
They move to the seaside and Maria stops hypnotising. She instead decides to study become an archeologist and Keisukes starts selling Doujinshi.
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

themocaw
Regular

#55 Post by themocaw »

PERSISTENCE OF VISION

Concept: Playing around with the idea of persistent variables in Ren'Py

Plot: The player is a police negotiator assigned to handle a hostage situation at a science laboratory: the female hostage taker is clearly psychotic, and keeps ranting about things from beyond, monsters and demons. The first time through, there is no way to win. A bomb goes off, and everyone dies, including the narrator. As he dies, though, he sees a girl in a white dress (one of the hostages) reaching out to him and taking his hand.

The next time a new game is started, the game notes that this is your second run-through and loads up different graphics for the characters. Instead of the base graphics that had been used earlier, the game loads up animations. Every once in a while, the animation will flash a single frame of a twisted, screwed up version of the base graphic: the attractive hostages appear as undead corpses. The bank is seen as an abbatoir and torture chamber. The girl who saves your life appears as a cruel, eyeless witch.

What's going on: The science lab, while playing around with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know, has accidentally released a Horrible Creature From Beyond, the little girl. The female scientist has managed to trap them in the lab, and is attempting to build a bomb so that she can destroy them, but before the bomb goes off, the monster sends the protagonist back into the past to try and negotiate again, to talk her down. Each time, the illusion weakens, and the protagonist sees a bit of what is truly going on.

If he successfully talks down the scientist based on information gleaned from prior runthroughs (indicated as persistent variables), the "monster" will be set free. . . although maybe that's not a bad thing. After all, there could be worse things out there than monsters.

REASON FOR DUMP
Too complicated for me right now, maybe someone else will like the idea.

Jake
Support Hero

#56 Post by Jake »

themocaw wrote: Concept: Playing around with the idea of persistent variables in Ren'Py
I had a very similar kind of thought in the past, and one of the reasons I didn't do anything with it was simply that it had started with the intention of having an excuse to play around with cool new features - the persistent variables thing - but in the end there was really no good reason to do so, the story part would have worked just as well if I just positioned 'the next playthrough' immediately after the end of the first playthrough. And it seems to me that the same is true here, really.

Those same thoughts morphed into using the persistence stuff for episodic stories; periodic releases of small chunks of story which are mostly stand-alone, but if you'd played previous ones then the choices you made then are remembered and used in the next episode. If planned well, by the end of the series one player could be getting a totally different final episode to the next. But it would also be a crapload of work, and I don't have anywhere near the time to devote to something like that. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#57 Post by DrakeNavarone »

That reminds me of one of the ideas I had too, though it'll probably never be realized ever do to the complexity and work involved. It was supposed to be a mystery story (another reason why I won't attempt it... don't know if I can do mystery effectively...) that's seen through the eyes of a few playable protagonists (4 or 5). You'd chose who you wanted to play through as at the very beginning, and you'd be presented with choices along the way like a typical branching VN. But the game would remember all of your choices (via persistent) and that would affect the other stories. For instance, your first play through as hero A you would be presented with a choice: Run away or Fight. You pick Run away, finish the story, and play as hero B next. When you reach that part of the story, you'll notice that hero A is nowhere to be found. You play again as hero A, choose Fight, and when you reach that same point as hero B, you'll then notice that hero A is now there and already fighting.

This idea is only practical though if there is a small number of both heroes and choices, otherwise the complexity explodes and the work involved becomes too much. Another reason that I dropped the idea was that in order to get the true ending, you'd have to pick the perfect choices. While this would be great for replay value, it does increase the difficulty too, perhaps to a level the average vn player isn't comfortable with (as a casual game player), and makes people more likely to give up or put off finishing it and never find out the truth.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by monele »

DrakeNavaronne : it seems like this would actually be a case where you need persistent data (at least to make things easier on you) but it does seem like it would be a pain to play... Mmm... Maybe this system should not be totally linked to wether you can win or not... but to how sub-events unfold. By that, I mean that such choices with one character would allow to reach special parts with another character, hence leading to hidden events... mm... yeah... I guess it *is* too complex XD...

Persistent is very strange... It can often be simplified with a simple "jump start" (I think)... I think there needs to be a strong distinction so that having to click on "New game" makes sense. A game where you could die often, maybe... hence "New try"... But where's the persistent in that? Well... maybe if we accept the idea of still being able to have some parts of the game as "fixed", we could then set things right during one try, knowingly screwing things up for this one playthrough... and then, play from the start and use the change you made in the previous game. Mh... *shrugs* ^^;...

Jake
Support Hero

#59 Post by Jake »

monele wrote:Persistent is very strange... It can often be simplified with a simple "jump start" (I think)... I think there needs to be a strong distinction so that having to click on "New game" makes sense.
Well, this is why I was thinking of episodic content - saving important decisions as persistent data would mean that at a later date you could drop a new episode into the game directory wholesale and start playing it without having to go through loading a save from the end of the last episode which had been pre-coded to jump to a label which didn't exist yet...

...but yeah - for the most part, it seems it's really just useful for unlocking stuff. ;-)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Recca Phoenix
Veteran

#60 Post by Recca Phoenix »

themocaw wrote:PERSISTENCE OF VISION

Concept: Playing around with the idea of persistent variables in Ren'Py
If he successfully talks down the scientist based on information gleaned from prior runthroughs (indicated as persistent variables), the "monster" will be set free. . . although maybe that's not a bad thing. After all, there could be worse things out there than monsters.
That sounds AWESOME! Except I don't know if the player would necessarily see that they're supposed to play through again. But I like the psychological idea IF it could be pulled off.