Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Ideas Dump

#241 Post by gekiganwing »

Today's foolish idea: "Competition within a harem." Copied from... I mean, inspired by... a manga called Otomari Honey, which is 100% guilty pleasure.

The concept: instead of being the person who is interested in three to five girls/bishies, now you're a haremette... that is, one part of someone's harem. The game will focus on your competition to win the heart of the harem lead.

There could be a lot of exterior conflict, especially if the other haremettes are passionate or powerful. Or it could be a subdued story in which everyone gets along like a family, and even though you're trying to win the lead character, you don't want to lose your friendship with everyone else.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#242 Post by gekiganwing »

Let's say that you, the master of unlocking -- I mean, the game creator, are crafting a game for a platform which includes a touch screen. Could be iPod Touch/iPhone, or DS. What will you choose to do with the touch screen?

1. NSFW approach: sadly, my knowledge about Dokidoki Maho Shinpan and the game based on To Love Ru is quite limited. (And of course there's Rule 34 games on the iPhone.) I found an FAQ written in English about D.M.S #2...

2. Intimate, friendly approach: the DS versions of Tokimemo Girls Side 1-2 are apparently scaled down when compared to the PS2 originals. But they add a few NPC-touching elements, which can add OR subtract from character intimacy. Again, my info's from GameFAQs.

3. Somewhere in between...?

If you're thinking about making homebrew games for any of these devices, these are important questions to ask.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#243 Post by monele »

I would use the touchscreen to allow for a mouse-like driven interface. Tokimemo GS on DS uses this for "petting your boyfriend", sure, but it also allows for an in-game browser and a very easily navigated interface (though not *that* much better than the PS1/PS2 versions in a sense...). Gimmicks are still gimmicks. The "petting" in TMGS is fun a few times, and then you realize it's nothing great. It does feel tacked on and that's because it was ^^;... There are a few mini-games using the stylus, too, but while they're fun, they're just that : mini-games. Remove them and the game itself is not changed, so it really doesn't add much.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#244 Post by Deji »

Random idea:

There was a quiet and happy town somewhere. The MC (a agirl) lived there happily. She had several friends around her age she grew up with and also a boyfriend of sorts. They, of course, promised to see eachother again someday, no matter what happened.
When she was 13, her and her close family moved to another country, while other members of her family remained there.
She pretty much lost contact with the people from the town, but she always hoped she'd go back there someday.
So she went to highschool in this new country and maybe to college too?
And in the end she returned to her hometown, planning to stay at her granny's....
...only to discover her granny grew old and bitterand was living with her aunt, also a bitter woman.
The places she remembered weren't there anymore, her old friends moved out from the town and his childhood boyfriend got married and had a kid.
Only one of her friends, a girl who wasn't exacltly her best friend, remained there.
What did happen to all those beautiful memories she was seeking for when she decided to go back? What did it happen to the town and the people in there? Will she be able to be happy in this withered town?

*shrug* I like it as a premise for a story, but I have no idea what could happpen from there xD;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#245 Post by N0UGHTS »

Deji wrote:*shrug* I like it as a premise for a story, but I have no idea what could happpen from there xD;
Nuclear winter.

Guess I should add an idea...

We need more furry games. Yes, that's it. Yiffie Paradise! is the name of the game! But what would it be about?...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Elli

#246 Post by Elli »

Doubtless
Plot:
Lara has never doubted her abilities. She has always been capable at every single thing she has tried to do...But there is one thing...
A successful business woman, total career person...Yet Lara has always dreamed of being an artist. Problem? She ain't too good at it. She's taken night classes, practices everyday...Yet she cannot seem to get better...
Why?
Is it her teachers?
Or is it her?
When a stranger with a disturbing obsession with masks, horror movies, and art history begins to pay Lara nightly visits; her life begins to change drastically...Demonic birds, seductive fairies, and disturbances between imagination and reality become blurred; and the woman who experiences these distortions isn't quite sure if she wants to leave.

It would probably be kinetic, but...Eh.

Elli

#247 Post by Elli »

Gaah not being able to edit posts...But another one:

Silver Tides
Genre: Romance
Story: Once every millennium, on a small village rumor has it, when you see a red moon one day, when you approach the island's northern beach, the sea will glow brilliant silver tones, and shine with most amazing magnificence and beauty. Those who drink this water are said to prosper, and achieve true perfection. On the night this happened, Natashia drank some of the silver water; and has since, never been the same. Her brother, Kei (the MC) is greatly concerned, as Natashia is in a coma...Not knowing what to do, Kei goes to the ocean to seek an answer. Instead, he finds a mermaid with numerous strange addictions, and a demon who collects sea shells...Do they hold the answers?

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#248 Post by N0UGHTS »

I just have to post this before anyone gets the idea and starts getting serious about it: DO NOT make Mass Effect into an 18+ ADV! Please, for the love of all that is l33t...

Okay, now for an actual idea... How about an otome game featuring angels and demons? And there would be an alignment system... Something about a holy war... Oh, and of course: the attractive bishounen (that really do have muscles).

...Scratch that. Make that game into a BL game, add some orgies (uh... of mass destruction, yeah!), and you've got a seller. ($_$)
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#249 Post by gekiganwing »

N0UGHTS first brought up furry fans. I recall that some person on this forum was attempting to create a light furry game, but I don't recall if it went anywhere.

Also, Rule 34 doubtless applies to Mass Effect. I'm sure at least one crazed fan has thought so.

Elli's idea about mermaids and death is fascinating. I've had thoughts for years about creating a raising/training simulation on one of the following topics:

1) Getting a selkie [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selkie ] bride, and then attempting to hold on to her. The sort of situation where the human guy wants the pseudo-human girl, but where she'd rather go home. If it includes dilemmas such as how to get her used to human society, then the player may have to be cautious and try to raise the right stats.

2) "A mermaid who you can make human." Only you can perform (magical?) surgery to help her become human. But in the meantime, will you keep her existence secret? Will you help her get to know guys? Your relationship might become similar to father-daughter... but part of a healthy relationship involves letting go.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#250 Post by N0UGHTS »

There probably is 18+ stuff made for ME (I won't bother checking), but an 18+ ADV? McCullough and Fox, if they caught word... :dies:

Oooh, mermaid games! You know what? Someone should make a game about vampire mermaids.

Or maybe someone should get to work on a game actually called Princess Breaker.
World Community Grid

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#251 Post by monele »

You know what? Someone should make a game about vampire mermaids.
I'm picturing a lot of "classic" fantasy races turned gothic/punk for some reason. This could make a fun setting XD

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#252 Post by N0UGHTS »

You got me to thinking about gothic Tinkerbell. :laughs:

I'm a historical fiction junkie. Give me more HF games. How about the Great War? Maybe how Germany was affected by this? :cough cough: Or maybe there should be more games about the Sengoku Period or the Era of the Warring States! Maybe make a game about the Spanish Inquisition. And the game would include the dreaded Comfy Chairs.

Buahahahaha!
World Community Grid

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#253 Post by gekiganwing »

Historical fiction = excellent idea.

A game called Princess Breaker would *probably* be really raunchy. Can't think about that title without thinking about BDSM. But let me think about what else could be done... Maybe a deconstructionist fantasy in which there's a genuinely evil princess. The main character doesn't save her, but psychologically destroys her, or wages a war against her.

One more thought: there's an obscure manga called First Love Kiss (further described here: http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=4619 ). A few chapters have been scanned. Be sure to find chapter #5, because it describes a Japanese young man's journey to NYC, and the beginning of his relationship with a girl named Kate. Why did I find it fascinating? 1) Because the guy is out of his normal environment, and 2) because the story includes plausible details. So in conclusion, I'd be interested if someone wrote a story about going abroad and the difficulties of cross-cultural relationships.

Elli

#254 Post by Elli »

Gasp. It's my next strange idea:
Name: The Philosophy Club
Genre: Romance
Description: A strange sort of romance vn, you are forced into joining the Philosophy club by your friend, Sophia. An eccentric group that meets everyday after school to discuss things like, "If you swallow your own blood, are you a cannibal?" and a number of nonsensical scenarios involving bear droids and other such nonsense. Spending all this time with these ladies, will their eccentric ways grow on you? Will you fall in love?
The Cast: (Because the plot isn't much. xD)

Sophia: Your friend who forces you to join the dang club! Sophia is an avid lover of Murakami's books, and loves to talk about them...Apparently, many of her philosophy ideas are based off of those she took from his books. This annoys the other club members though, who frequently push her to come up with her own ideas...If you follow her path, you learn the reason why she fears expressing/formulating her own views...

Melinda: An unusual girl, who dresses and looks like a little moe character...But she's an avid lover of punk rock music. Melinda speaks in a rather hard headed way, and tends to get annoyed when the philosophy club gets into more ridiculous topics...Particularly ones involving bear droids (apparently her younger brother was mauled by a bear, causing her to have a phobia of bears). Melinda might be just a touch disturbed, as one of her major goals in life (other than becoming a singer), is to find, and slay the bear that killed her brother...

Kiki: A girl that looks like she's 10, but is actually 17, Kiki loves nonsensical things, and her favorite thing to talk about are squidsxrobots; pinjas (the deadly cross between pirates and ninjas) come in close second. Probably the most eccentric of the cast, Kiki is the president of the club, and it's no doubt due to her influence that the group so easily gets off topic...

...=0 That's all for now.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#255 Post by gekiganwing »

You mean *Haruki* Murakami, right? That was the first result when I searched for 'murakami writer.'

A challenge from a fanfic panel I attended over two years ago: write a story which takes place near where you live. It could be your own town, or one which you can reach in an hour or two. Even if it's a dull place, work with that. Tell a story about coping with a place that's not all that much fun.