Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Quadratic
Regular
Projects: Dreamscape (VN)

Re: Ideas Dump

#496 Post by Quadratic »

ColonelSovalkova wrote:
Quadratic wrote: Though, if the artist I have isn't exactly skilled at drawing it, we may have to change plans (but she's very talented, so I doubt it.)

Damn I almost lost it there, but nice save in the brackets XD

#1 isnt all that bad, might do for some fantasy drawing actually *3* Maybe if you write it out i could illustrate it and then my coloring style wont be a problem
Hmm, sorry 'bout that~ ;-;
But you know, I still haven't seen you draw anything H~ o3o

ColonelSovalkova

#497 Post by ColonelSovalkova »

Quadratic wrote:
ColonelSovalkova wrote:
Quadratic wrote: Though, if the artist I have isn't exactly skilled at drawing it, we may have to change plans (but she's very talented, so I doubt it.)

Damn I almost lost it there, but nice save in the brackets XD

#1 isnt all that bad, might do for some fantasy drawing actually *3* Maybe if you write it out i could illustrate it and then my coloring style wont be a problem
Hmm, sorry 'bout that~ ;-;
But you know, I still haven't seen you draw anything H~ o3o
:roll: ok, fine! you'll get your HENTAI... :| Ah~ I'm spoiled for marriage!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#498 Post by gekiganwing »

Today's game concept: "Don't Date Your Players!" It would be a game about pencil-and-paper RPGs, and the fans who enjoy them.

I got this idea from listening to the Writing Excuses podcast a while ago. One of the hosts gave the seemingly random advice, "Don't date the GM!", and I thought it was funny. Then I started thinking... if a gamemaster and his/her players are shaping an imaginary world, then what if they were more than friends? What sort of conflicts would this cause?

I'm thinking that a GxB / reverse harem approach might work with this idea. Let's say the main character moves to a new place. She has some experience with roleplaying, and she's a fan of a specific game. She knows that most RPG fans are male, but decides that the best way to meet like-minded fans is to become one of the few female gamemasters in her community. She knows it's risky to date people who are playing her game, but she shares their interests, and over the course of the game she will get to know them.

Working with that premise, anyone who wants to use the idea should think about the following:

- Do you want to create a VN or a simulation? What ratio of story-to-gameplay do you prefer?
- Should the game happen over a specific amount of time?
- How old are the characters? If they're in some school, then they're more free to date each other. But if they're already adults, then the relationship drama could get complex.
- How much realism do you want? Decide how you want to portray the characters and setting.
- Do you want to include a GxG option?
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Quadratic
Regular
Projects: Dreamscape (VN)

#499 Post by Quadratic »

Another idea, one that can be pulled off, but probably not very well.

It's a VN that's based off of the Dream Theater album Metropolis Part Two: Scenes From A Memory. The story can be read here if anyone wants to know about it.
It'd basically be a kinetic VN, telling the story that happens through the album, but not in musical form. However, at the start/end (dunno which one would be better, or maybe even throughout), the song off the album that corresponds with that section would be playing in the background.

Any thoughts? I might try it later, since it wouldn't be a very long project, maybe totaling around 45 minutes reading time, not counting the music.

ForgottenVision
Regular
Projects: The Student Council

#500 Post by ForgottenVision »

I've got an idea floating around my head, based on my own experiences. It's sort of a GxG story - not really a traditional one though - and it's more about the characters. It's about two girls who become friends online. Over a period of three years they become very close, they know everything about each other and have spent hours upon hours talking to each other over text and voice chats... they've even met up IRL twice - but as the characters have gotten older, their personalities have changed. The one who used to be bullied a lot, used to be very reserved and shy, is now far more self-confident and even has a boyfriend. The one who used to enjoy pulling pranks online and being silly, is now going to University and is trying to find out what she wants from life - hoping that she can become a 'normal' person instead of spending all of her time online.

The problem is, over the three years they became more than just friends, in some ways. The first one (I need names yet :P) believes that the other is their 'one' - the person they're meant to be with. But the other can't accept that, and is sure that what she sees as a 'real life' is out there waiting for her. She's scared of getting 'stuck' online.

So the VN is sort of based around this. I think the person would either play the second character, or maybe I'm considering some sort of method where at the beginning you chose your character. Maybe base it on a set of questions asked so that you play as the character that is closer to you?

Most of the dialogue and story would be told through 'online messaging' to each other, with decisions along the way which will effect the final outcome.

It's all rather vague, but I figured putting it down might help a bit :P
Racheya @ Forgotten Vision Presents...
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 1 [Completed] (Not Publicly Released)
One Afternoon [Completed] - More Info/Download here
The School Council [WIP] - BxG
When Sapphires Cry - Episode 2 [Postponed]

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#501 Post by gekiganwing »

ForgottenVision wrote:It's about two girls who become friends online...
Not too long ago, there were no girls on the internet. These days, there are no guys on Fanfiction.net, Deviant Art, or several blogging/social network communities. :D

...Having written that bit of lulz, here's an idea I found thanks to the Indie Game blog. From http://experimentalgameplay.com/blog/20 ... in-october -- "...your challenge this month is different depending who you are:

* Boys: Make a game for girls.
* Girls: Make a game for boys."

Here's a few ways I figure might make that vague concept more specific or interesting...

1. Do not include any transsexual or transvestite characters. In other words, challenge yourself by making it clear which gender the important characters are.

2a. Either use a setting distinctly different from modern suburbia...
2b. ...or set your story/game in a place where you've been.

3. Include a non-player character who strongly dislikes stereotypes. The point of view character will have to interact with this person.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#502 Post by gekiganwing »

Hmm, this thread's been quiet lately. Here's two ideas that might interest someone...

1. "Hal Foster writes a visual novel." You know how many VNs keep text and pictures completely separate? (Except for Littlewitch games, and maybe a few others...) Well, that's how Hal Foster created the vintage newspaper comic Prince Valiant. The story is told through pictures and narration, with no word bubbles. Learn more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Valiant

So what would it be like to have a VN driven by narration rather than dialogue? It would be different. There might be conversation between characters, but it could be conveyed by a narrator who is telling the story. This could be a worthwhile experiment.

2. "Lynd Ward writes a visual novel." If that name doesn't sound familiar, see this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynd_ward The artist created about six stories that used still pictures in sequence (in other words, no text) to convey a narrative. Obviously, creating even a short VN with just pictures would require a lot of effort! But it's a concept that might be worth exploring.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#503 Post by curry nochi rice »

Idea:

A romance springs from a quiet not-so known secondary library of a school that's so large that it you could walk a kilometer of hallway just to get to another wing and that you could barely remember a face, a school large enough that you somebody you saw yesterday may not be seen ever again.

A boy... who likes to read (but not so nerdy about them, and doesn't bother about what kind of books...)

Anyway, the usual patrons would be the guy and the library in-charge... (also a student, a female student who is not his classmate.)... not before long, the two of them get together until to the point before becoming close... when a new customer arrives... also a female, seeking recluse from school life... and

block... I'll be posting more details.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#504 Post by gekiganwing »

This notion might be best suited to its own topic. If so, feel free to move it elsewhere.

What would a western style romance game be like, if it used Renpy? I've been thinking about this, and I'm still not sure. But here's some ideas.

* The important characters would be adults. They would look and act their age(s).

* The main character would be very responsible for his/her actions. If the MC chose a cause, or if the MC made a foolish decision, then he/she would carry that burden until the end.

* There would be a balance of gameplay and story. Ideally, this would not be done in an irritating way (required minigames or puzzles, or too many quick-time events, or using a text parser that slows down the pace, or...). Hopefully any stat-building would be implemented in a logical way, and would include only a modest amount of randomness.

* It might be divided into logical phases. Let's say part one is "romantic decisions" phase. The MC makes crucial decisions here. Those choices would carry over to part two, a "romantic commitment" phase, where the two people have to learn to live with each other.

blakjak
Veteran

#505 Post by blakjak »

gekiganwing wrote:, a "romantic commitment" phase, where the two people have to learn to live with each other.
That would be interesting to play.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#506 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Ideas dump? Ohkayyyyyy~

1. A world where religion matters. I mean a lot. People discriminate you for your religion, you can't go on certain places if your faith isn't set in a certain angle, and in some places people are punished and killed because that they won't have faith on their way. Then one realizes, "this needs to change". That people shouldn't be discriminated and classified just because of their beliefs and faith. That people has freedom to do all they wanted, without the fear of discrimination, jail, and death. But then, the whole world is against that person. Beliefs matters, according to them. without the same beliefs and faith, they believe the world will go wrong and be destroyed by their own hands. But isn't it that different beliefs make up a better world? And she leaves her small town, without anybody, and just a few resources on hand. To make the world realize that what they think, what they have been living all their years, is wrong. That people should respect everybody's religion and faith.

2. A story on the perspective of a writer/artist/student/singer. Meaning, she's an all-timer. She lives her everyday life studying, writing, drawing, and some stuff. Then one day, she was included in a band of friends that almost had the same perspective like she does. They live their lives doing all-around stuff at the internet. They are very active on the class, and so does she. Until one day, one of them faints and she realizes that her friend is a demon, her bestfriend's an immortal, and every popular girls in their section is aiming to flirt with all the guys at school and make the girls suffer. She suddenly gets crushed between the mysteries of school and the hectic-ness of life.

Err.... too... MUCH~!!!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#507 Post by LVUER »

@Lumen_Astrum:
Now, the number 1 actually happens in this real world. Actually, in my country too, in some degree (not as extreme as your idea). But since this is ideas dump thread, I don't want to fill it with religions talk.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#508 Post by SusanTheCat »

Dog Show Sim

pkt
Veteran
Completed: I dunno
Projects: Something special

#509 Post by pkt »

A game about a lemonade addicted hobo who travels through time and space to commit crimes with his team of homeless orphans.
No Active Public Renpy Projects...

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#510 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@ pkt. That sounds like a futuristic version of Oliver Twist XD