What made you want to be a visual novelist?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

What made you want to be a visual novelist?

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I am curious, what drove you to want to become a visual novelist? Why are you a Ren'Py user?

For me, it's my stepping stone to becoming a game programmer. I've always wanted to make video games, then I came across Ren'Py. I had always wondered what visual novels were, and thanks to Ren'Py I not only discovered what visual novels are, I found a really well made engine that I can start simple scripting! It made total sense...the tutorials, help from the forums, analyzing the scripts to see how the functions ticked....plus, I love to write. And VNs were totally story-driven, with graphics! It's like the in-between of a manga and an anime. So I believe VNs, with the Ren'Py engine, is a perfect stepping stone for any game programmer who doesn't know where to begin.

But what about you? Why are you a visual novelist?
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

G3rman

Re: What made you want to be a visual novelist?

#2 Post by G3rman »

I like visual novels and the idea behind them. I love to write and tell stories. As a designer, being able to use this engine and learn scripting is a valuable tool.

In certain ways, a visual novel is easier and more fun to write than an actual novel, and I desire to bring interactive experiences to audiences.

jhernandezgames
Regular
Organization: JHernandezgames

#3 Post by jhernandezgames »

Since I am studying to become a director, I began to look for a way to create movies that one could interact with. Once I stumbled upon Ren'py I fell in love :D I was able to write plays and scripts for everyone to see. (It doesn't help that my graphics are terrible D:)

feathersnake
Regular
Completed: A Rose by Any Other Name
Projects: Color, You've Got Mail!
Organization: Olfix Productions
Tumblr: olfix
Deviantart: olfix

#4 Post by feathersnake »

The best way to sum it up for me is that I am addicted to creation, and Ren'py gave me a whole new field of creation and storytelling to explore.

I've always loved the thought of making games. Plus I've kind of gone down the road of "jack of all trades, master of none" with my skill set. I just love making things, crafting things, and telling stories. Once, I sat in on a college art class and was so excited that I was having a hard time either just staying in my seat or not breaking down into tears of happiness. I didn't completely realize just how much I loved art until that day. There was another time where I saw a beautiful glass art sales stand in the middle of a mall that was all hand crafted by the lady sitting there. After I saw that and freaked out about it, (and got a weird look from my friend. Luckily she's gotten used to it. XD) I accepted that I might have an obsession with these things.

Okay, I started a ramble there...Anyways, I didn't expect to like even basic programming, but somehow I really enjoyed learning how to code with Ren'py. Ren'py gives me a great opportunity to write, draw, and create whether I'm on my own or with my wonderful team members who also have art, writing, and even musical skills. :D I'm so thankful that this engine was created!

And of course, the best part is getting to see all of the beautiful freelance Visual Novels created be everyone! (Though I should really stop being a stalker and comment more. :X *sits in the corner of shame*)
Olfix Productions:
Tumblr | itch.io
Complete Projects:
A Rose by Any Other Name
In-progress:
Color | You've Got Mail!

Sharm
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Twin Crowns, Weather Wizard

#5 Post by Sharm »

For me it was just a matter of finding a way of telling my stories and making games in a way that suits my style and skills. That makes it sound less impressive than it is. I've been looking at game making software and trying and failing at learning computer programming for years now, and I've always wanted to tell my stories in a way that was a little more artistic but a picture book or comic. I really do love the medium, and I think it's being underutilized.
Works in Progress: Twin Crowns | Weather Wizard

bellice
Veteran

#6 Post by bellice »

I think the first visual novel I played was Katawa Shoujo, back when the demo first came out and I was amazed that I could change the story through my choices. Finally I didn't have to watch some stupid, cocky male character rush into situations he was clearly not suited for.
Finally I could choose who the main character ends up with instead of watching a completely unfit couple get together.
Not to mention that the choices made the story feel so much more personal.

Since I've always wanted to tell my own stories and love drawing, it seemed like a natural step to start working on a few projects of my own.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

#7 Post by Gear »

It was my story. The Time Stones was a novel that I'd attempted to finish over ten times, and failed with each rewrite. I was never satisfied with the exposition, characters, anything. When I was about to give up, I was told that there was a way for me to turn my novel into a game like Phoenix Wright. Intrigued, I checked it out. It was easy to master, and it made sense, considering my biggest weakness was exposition, and I was strongest at dialogue. Now I can finally get this story out, and move on to the next.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#8 Post by SHiNKiROU »

I learned how to program, how to draw and made some games, they are not enough for me to become a VN writer, but I also got setting ideas that are complicated enough to write stories.
I believe the VN medium is less work than making an RPG.

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#9 Post by Semienigma »

I like how Visual novels are, to me anyway, like that place between Comics and Animation. Its so unique and you can do things you can't really do in animation or in Comics (kinda) and I wanted to also make something to explore my creativity as well.

I wanted to express the story I want to show in a new way and I think VNs/KNs are the way to go for the feel I want to go for.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#10 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Everyone has creative reasons for it. For me, it's a bit more analytical.

I had specific information that I wanted to impart to an audience in an enjoyable way, and after researching for about a month, I concluded that visual novels were the most suitable medium.

I don't feel like a visual novelist though. I can't say I share the same interests as the majority of people here. I wouldn't even say I'm a VN player either. I'm just someone who is here for a specific reason, but is also enjoying the community.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

For me, it was playing Kana: Little Sister. That game brought me to tears and showed me the power visual novels could have. Shortly after playing this, I started looking for ways to make VNs myself, found Muto, found Tralu and the Love Revolution team, and when that one didn't work out, I looked even further and found the tools I needed at this very forum. At first, I was unsure I could learn a new programming language, so I only did the writing for my first title Metropolitan Blues, but then, I dared look into Ren'Py, found it easy enough, and since then, I've stuck with it.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#12 Post by Lesleigh63 »

It let's me do both art and writing. Usually I'm switching between the two, but here I can do both together.