Crowdfunding Discussion (Update: 8/22/13)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

Crowdfunding Discussion (Update: 8/22/13)

#1 Post by tnm6 »

Hey guys!

So, one of the projects with which I'm currently affiliated is planning on creating a crowd-funding campaign further along in our development process, and I was hoping to receive some advice from the amazing groups I've seen on this site. Hopefully, the information shared here will help other development groups as well.

As a precursor, based upon my research, these are some of the patterned facts I've noticed after doing some research into the issue:

1.) The most lucrative donation pledges seem to occur in the Summer (May-September), most likely as a result of more "free-time" on the part of potential donors, people having summer jobs and--consequently--more money on their hands, and no expensive holidays (i.e. Christmas) to drain wallets.

2.) Kickstarter and Indiegogo seem to be the crowd-funding sites that generate the most web-traffic.

3.) In terms of indie visual novels, asking between $2,000-3,000 seems to be the most feasible, with only a few outliers generating more revenue than that.

4.) Personalized videos seem to be the most successful, with the most impactful being those that shed light on the motivations for the creators/studios and outlining aspects and goals for the game itself.

5.) Pre-launch publicity and reciprocative connections are essential when trying to create a successful campaign.

6.) Creative and interactive incentives can help bolster potential donors' willingness to contribute.

7.) A game demo is a great marketing tool.

8.) A clear and concise outline of the allocation of funding is key in helping to alleviate donors' concerns about pledging their money.

Anyway, this is a "bare bones" outline of what I have found, but I was hoping this could be a forum wherein people can share their experiences as to what helps catalyze a successful crowdfunding campaign and what undermines a campaign from progressing.

-Taylor

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Crowdfunding Discussion (Update: 8/22/13)

#2 Post by briannavon »

What undermines one : Not listen when people tell you you're game is not nearly ready....If you want, I can show you my old one as an example of what NOT to do. :lol:
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence

#3 Post by tnm6 »

briannavon wrote:What undermines one : Not listen when people tell you you're game is not nearly ready....If you want, I can show you my old one as an example of what NOT to do. :lol:
If you're willing, I'd love to take a look at the crowdfunding campaign you attempted (I think any empirical data would help, regardless of the outcome).

On a related note, here's an interesting blog post made by "redpandastudio" concerning the production of Visual Novels in the Western market: http://confessionsofateenagegamedevelop ... arket.html

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by briannavon »

tnm6 wrote:
briannavon wrote:What undermines one : Not listen when people tell you you're game is not nearly ready....If you want, I can show you my old one as an example of what NOT to do. :lol:
If you're willing, I'd love to take a look at the crowdfunding campaign you attempted (I think any empirical data would help, regardless of the outcome).

On a related note, here's an interesting blog post made by "redpandastudio" concerning the production of Visual Novels in the Western market: http://confessionsofateenagegamedevelop ... arket.html
OK, take a look at the horror! :
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/farmi ... dess-calls
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

Lishy
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Lishy »

Bookmarking your thread. Great tips!

(Though would a campaign during Christmas vacation also be a bad idea?)
-

Anne
Veteran
Completed: Fae

#6 Post by Anne »

In case you haven't already seen this http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =4&t=20544

AWSalmon
Regular
Projects: The Human Reignition Project
Organization: AlienWorks Productions

#7 Post by AWSalmon »

One thing that seems to be overlooked Have a history of good games behind you. People will be less willing to donate to a game when you don't have any sort of production history at all, probably even less willing than if you had a lineup of short kinetic novels with stock art all over it.

This is one thing I can't stand. You can have the shiniest kickstarter page ever made, but if you don't have a proven record of being able to get things done I don't see how you can morally justify starting a crowdfunding campaign. If you need to start nice and slow before working on your dream project, do that. Build a name, get a few fans, learn the development process, then take the crowdfunding gamble. Don't let people throw their money at you when it's more likely that they won't get anything in return.
"We have cars that drive for us, services that shop for us, devices that speak for us, machines that clean and cook and work for us. You can't say that removing these things from our daily lives has no effect on the way we interact. As I speak, how many of you are working, or communicating with someone else? Could we do that twenty years ago? Ten? Society has changed very slowly throughout the course of human history, but in the span of only two generations, there have been more technology-driven societal advances than we can count."

"People everywhere are able to talk to others clear on the other side of the world, and we do this at the expense of interacting with others around us. We have our heads buried so deeply in our technology that we ignore our surroundings. Society is stretched far beyond what should be possible, thanks to technology. We have friends in other countries while we have strangers in our own homes."

The Human Reignition Project
AlienWorks.Recruiting@gmail.com

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#8 Post by Katta »

AWSalmon wrote:One thing that seems to be overlooked Have a history of good games behind you. People will be less willing to donate to a game when you don't have any sort of production history at all, probably even less willing than if you had a lineup of short kinetic novels with stock art all over it.

This is one thing I can't stand. You can have the shiniest kickstarter page ever made, but if you don't have a proven record of being able to get things done I don't see how you can morally justify starting a crowdfunding campaign. If you need to start nice and slow before working on your dream project, do that. Build a name, get a few fans, learn the development process, then take the crowdfunding gamble. Don't let people throw their money at you when it's more likely that they won't get anything in return.
I can't agree with that. I don't think that many people would go investigating your record and I don't even think it matters that much, of course if you have already made some good games, it is a bonus, so you should mention it in your campaign text. But if it's your first project, that's what the demo is for - it's way better than unrelated previous projects, because it shows, what this exact game you are asking money for will be.

AWSalmon
Regular
Projects: The Human Reignition Project
Organization: AlienWorks Productions

#9 Post by AWSalmon »

Katta wrote:
AWSalmon wrote:One thing that seems to be overlooked Have a history of good games behind you. People will be less willing to donate to a game when you don't have any sort of production history at all, probably even less willing than if you had a lineup of short kinetic novels with stock art all over it.

I can't agree with that. I don't think that many people would go investigating your record and I don't even think it matters that much, of course if you have already made some good games, it is a bonus, so you should mention it in your campaign text. But if it's your first project, that's what the demo is for - it's way better than unrelated previous projects, because it shows, what this exact game you are asking money for will be.
Asking for money and making a demo doesn't show your ability to finish a project.
"We have cars that drive for us, services that shop for us, devices that speak for us, machines that clean and cook and work for us. You can't say that removing these things from our daily lives has no effect on the way we interact. As I speak, how many of you are working, or communicating with someone else? Could we do that twenty years ago? Ten? Society has changed very slowly throughout the course of human history, but in the span of only two generations, there have been more technology-driven societal advances than we can count."

"People everywhere are able to talk to others clear on the other side of the world, and we do this at the expense of interacting with others around us. We have our heads buried so deeply in our technology that we ignore our surroundings. Society is stretched far beyond what should be possible, thanks to technology. We have friends in other countries while we have strangers in our own homes."

The Human Reignition Project
AlienWorks.Recruiting@gmail.com

Katta
Veteran

#10 Post by Katta »

The demo shows that you can accomplish a set goal just as well as any previous work and more so it shows that you have what it takes exactly for this game (like programming the gameplay, and you can also evaluate story and writing skills from the demo, the art can be a placeholder though).
I think everyone possesses the ability to finish the project, but that doesn't mean you'll actually do it and your previous projects say nothing here. Like, you've done some small KN, how does it show that you will finish a huge project? I don't mean professional game developers, because they sure are way more dedicated and know what they are doing, I mean people with SOME finished projects.
Also if previous project was not that good it would be a minus, not a plus.

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#11 Post by truefaiterman »

I agree with the "previous work" thing. Your previous games allow people to see that you actually MADE it, that you CAN do it because this isn't your first time. If you have no experience at all... you better show up some unbelievable material.

Also, I think you may like this: http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/arti ... o-take-off
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#12 Post by Tempus »

AWSalmon wrote:Asking for money and making a demo doesn't show your ability to finish a project.
I agree with this; I've known at least a few teams who've made a demo and not completed the finished product. One consistent thing I notice is that all the projects which fail or never get released are made by teams with no prior releases. I would never fund a project by an unknown developer unless the team was comprised of people who had otherwise proven themselves. I also agree it's bad form to expect someone to pay you for something you don't even know you can do. A "feeling" or "but I'm different" attitude immediately turns me off and signals definitively that the project will fail. Thinking you're able to complete a project and actually completing it are two very, very different things.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Katta
Veteran

#13 Post by Katta »

Tempus wrote:I've known at least a few teams who've made a demo and not completed the finished product.
What I say is not that people who made a demo will absolutely finish the project, but that people with previous projects can fail as well. I don't know about KS specifically, but here on Lemmasoft I see lots of people who make some small trial project then start a normal one and never finish it. Of course the same is true for the groups with demo, but at least from the demo I get more information about the game.
Tempus wrote:Thinking you're able to complete a project and actually completing it are two very, very different things.
I agree here, but in my opinion if you are not thinking that, you shouldn't even start.

tnm6
Regular

#14 Post by tnm6 »

In synthesizing a lot of the different opinions I see here from the various successes/failure on crowdfunding sites (with particular attention paid to Kickstarter), it appears:

1.) Having a video (and a personalized one at that) is a necessity for generating a successful campaign

2.) Having a demo of your intended release is almost equally as essential, as it allows potential contributors to gauge the prospective quality of the work in question and introduces the story, characters and gameplay.

3.) Having previous experience, though not a necessity--as has been proved by several successful campaigns that have been launched by first-time developers--is a key component in assuaged donor doubts regarding your developmental ability and motivational capacity to finish a game.

Semienigma
Regular
Projects: Cerebral Hinderance: Inner Iniquity

#15 Post by Semienigma »

From my experiences in giving to developers my donations I am finding that I am also a bit more wary these days what with all the people who never finish or pretty much lie to get your money. I am personally more willing to give to someone that has a demo or even a finished game than I am to someone that has nothing to show their effort. There is still risk either way but I feel less risk if I have something to look at.
Working On:
Improving my art and my first Kinetic Novel Cerebral Hindrance: Inner Iniquity(more info coming soon)
Visit my Tumblr! to see my art